Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
  1. Why all the hate...??

After watching the middle of the field turn in to an all you can eat yardage buffet over the past 2 seasons, I for one, am THRILLED with the skill and raw talent taken in this year's draft.

If our 2 YOUNG ILBs (Brown from 2013) develop in to the players they should, we could be looking at a Willis/Bowman type LB core in the center of the field in a couple of years.

Jernigan has the athletic chops, and based off his enthusiasm for just getting a chance to prove himself, we at least have a guy that will go out there and give us everything he's got, which could turn out to be a whole hell of a lot more than he is getting credit for.

Brooks will be good. His skill set is perfect for center field...add some professional weight room time and top tier coaching and we could be looking at a serious pro bowler.

At CB, Webb will at least start the season with 2 healthy knees, Smith is hitting his prime, Asa and Chykie can battle it our for nickel, add the UDFA prospect who would have been drafted in many other years and scoop up a Vet once teams start making cuts and we will be OK there as well…

The common "our offense was terrible, we need to fix it with draft picks or we're fucked" story line I've been seeing all weekend is just DUMB.

2013: Offensive Coordinator - Jim Caldwell (WTF???)
    2014: GARY KUBIAK

2013: O-line coach - committee with differing styles and no clear cut leader
    2014: Juan Castillo, proven ZBS guru working with a ZBS OC who can make me, you or your sister in to a 1000 yard rusher...(which he may have to do, even though I think the kid from Coastal will surprise some people)

Bring along new WR and TE coach and you have a totally different look to an offense without even touching personnel...

Replace Stokely with Steve Smith(who I believe will be an impact player this year). Marlon Brown on year 2, Healthy Jacoby, Mellete and Pip-squeak from rd 7. Combine that with a ton of 2 WR 2 TE sets and we are looking pretty OK...

Replace Clark and Dickson with Pitta, Daniels, and an athletic freak of a prospect who can actually catch...and throw in Juice as a wildcard TE/RB hybrid

Who cares about RB because of the system they will be running in will make anyone acceptable

Offensive line will have Zuttah, Monroe on year 2, healthy KO, healthy Yanda, Man beast TE, plus Wagner, potential FA addition, Gino on year 2...and led by a coach who knows what the hell he is doing.

WHY THE HELL IS EVERYONE FREAKING OUT???? We have the potential to be a much better team in 2014 and REAAALLY good in years to come…

What do I know? This is just one schmo’s opinion, but I felt I needed to throw it out there because I am sick as fuck with reading all this negativity in May…

Go O’s!

Re: Why all the hate...??

I think (and I'm speaking for myself here) that it's just a continued frustration with the fact that the Ravens don't value offense as much as they should. The 2013 Ravens had a slightly better than average defense, but their offense was below average in almost every metric (and near bottom of the league when it came to the run game). You don't really need the stats to tell the story though - anyone who watched the Ravens last year could tell you what part of the team desperately needed some talent.

You can imagine why a lot of fans are very disappointed in this draft. Consider that in last year's draft only 4 out of the 10 picks were for the offense, none higher than a 4th rounder, so it's not as if Ozzie's been ignoring the D. In fact, we haven't drafted an offensive player in the first round in five years (Oher in 2009). Then this year our highest drafted offensive player is a TE with our 3rd round comp pick. It's incredibly frustrating.

With that said, Ozzie has forgotten more about football than I'll learn in my lifetime. For all I know Moseley could be the next Ray Lewis, Brooks the next Ed Reed, Campanaro could turn into a better Wes Welker, Gillmore could become a polished all-around TE, and Ozzie could have some sort of master plan to address the RT position. I just think that there are a LOT of question marks on the offensive side of the ball that we seem reluctant to try and address sufficiently through the draft.
    Last edited by OrioleWay86; 05-12-2014 at 02:40 PM.

Blog Entries

Not sure why you say everyone is freaking out. I'm very happy with the draft and so are a lot of others. I've really only seen one or two guys who hate it but their post count has to be in the millions in the past few days :)

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

ORIOLE WAY just about nails it.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 05-12-2014 at 02:31 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Not sure why you say everyone is freaking out. I'm very happy with the draft and so are a lot of others. I've really only seen one or two guys who hate it but their post count has to be in the millions in the past few days :)
    You were happy with the Swan Edwards draft too. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AirFlacco View Post
    You were happy with the Swan Edwards draft too. :)
    no idea what that is supposed to mean

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Some people(and by people I mean posters who's names I hardly see until they have something to complain about), seemed to be upset because the Ravens didn't address offense in the draft, forgetting that during the FA period that's primarily what they focused on. Some seem to not believe that Steve Smith, Owen Daniels, and Jeremey Zuttah aren't a significant upgrade over the creaky Brandon Stokely, Dallas Clark and the inept Gino Gradkowski.

9. Re: Why all the hate...??

Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had to stay off the boards much of the draft days and yesterday.....I just dont understand how people didnt read into Oz's comments pre draft (I know you're not supposed to read it into all the way) but he said something along the lines of you draft for a few years past the draft. While need does play in the draft to an extent....its always nice when BPA fits into a need.

Looking at this draft we are building the center of our defense back up....52 and 20 are not there....yes their skills declined but their mind/football IQ often helped close some of the gap.

If anything what this draft told me was Ngata is gone after this season.

It also told me that even though the offense was a putrid 29th ranked offense they felt comfortable in the talent they have assembled....and that the key cog to make this thing go will be Kubiak and the ability to use the talents they have on offense to fit his scheme.

Will not be surprised to see a few vets added to the fold post June 1. (CB, OT)

For those that follow me or interact me with on Twitter....I was beating the drum for Desir or Exum from the 3rd round on....reading that they only considered CB in the first round now makes sense on why they passed several times on some CB help. I thought they might have gone Dennard at 17....which i would have been ok with; builds in some natural protection if/when they move on from Webb or cannot resign Jimmy. Clearly they valued Mosley much higher than Dennard or he would have been the pick.

I like what they did in the draft and I believe 2 to 3 years from now it will be viewed as a solid draft class.

I am so sick of that meme. Yes, the draft is for a few years down the road. We're football fans, so we understand that.

Guess what. Going by that mantra, in a few years our offense is going to be pathetic. 29th ranked offense. 12th ranked defense. Nothing done in two years to add young talent to the offense.

That's why I didn't like the draft. And I can almost promise you that next year will look remarkably similar. I'll make a bet that says we don't draft a receiver or O-line in the top three rounds.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    I am so sick of that meme. Yes, the draft is for a few years down the road. We're football fans, so we understand that.

Guess what. Going by that mantra, in a few years our offense is going to be pathetic. 29th ranked offense. 12th ranked defense. Nothing done in two years to add young talent to the offense.

That's why I didn't like the draft. And I can almost promise you that next year will look remarkably similar. I'll make a bet that says we don't draft a receiver or O-line in the top three rounds.
    This is why you don't work for any NFL franchise.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post

We won the SB recently with not the youngest/talented offenses.

And let me ask you who else you would have picked at 17? There were barely any offensive talents on the board worth the 17th overall pick.

Your argument is irrelevant in 2 years if CJ Mosley ends up being a pro bowl Lb, and what's to stop Ozzie signing decent vets to fill needs? What happens if the likes of Gilmore turn out to be Dennis Pitta type picks?