Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 111213

Re: Accuracy Improvements from College to the NFL

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    I don't get what you don't get. Obviously we all hope he's great and we don't have to draft another Quarterback. But if he's bad, we have to draft another one. It's not a flawed line of thinking, it's saying we'd rather move on from somebody who doesn't have it and find someone who does. Just because we had so many QBs before Joe and none of them really stuck doesn't mean that we stop drafting QBs if the one we have sucks. A great QB can turn a franchise around. Having a below average QB for many many years just for the sake of continuity doesn't work either, and sends your organization into purgatory. See Jacksonville, Tampa Bay, and honestly the post SuperBowl Baltimore Ravens.
    The argument is that you have a Qb who showed he could get it done when he had a surrounding cast with a pulse, but instead of continuing to do so you surround him with dog shit and it resulted in poor results. So instead of correcting the supporting cast you first you replace the qb.

Expecting any quarterback to be above average when you give him Ben Watson or Kamar Aiken as his #1 target is unreasonable. Many would have preferred rolling the dice with trying to find a couple of real receivers and a dynamic running back to pair with Joe vs rolling the dice with Lamar, because, and this may surprise some people, you’re still going to need to find him receivers and a running back. Having willie Snead as the #1 wide receiver and Lamar Jackson as the #1 running back isn’t going to win Super Bowls.

Watson had 35 receptions for the saints this year. Their #1 receiver had 125...

Would have loved to see Joe paired with a Michael Thomas or a Julio Jones or an Antonio brown instead of kamar aiken, Wallace, Snead and Crabtree. /rant

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Accuracy Improvements from College to the NFL

I get what you're saying, but sometimes guys just don't have it. I want them to get Jackson good pieces too, but if he doesn't have it he doesn't have it. And if the only way to get a franchise QB is to play the lottery, you have to keep scratching. Look at the Browns. They lost and lost and lost and lost the lottery over and over, and just once they hit it and now they're the up and coming team in the league. Imagine if, instead of drafting Flacco, they decided they were going to try to surround Boller with the right pieces. If Jackson can't get consistently above 60% completion and 250 yards in year 2, let's not waste 5 years like we did with Boller and scratch again.
    Bad comparison. Boller never won the super bowl when surrounded with the right pieces.

The browns are a horrible example of how to find a Qb. It literally took them twenty years and jury is still out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by fastlax16; 01-10-2019 at 02:12 PM.

Imagine if, instead of drafting Flacco, they decided they were going to try to surround Boller with the right pieces.
    Because Boller had long by then shown he was simply a bad QB who continued his accuracy issues from college whereas Joe had a history of performing well, and recently (including some very good games this year, such as in Pittsburgh on SNF), despite having very little to work with, and looking further back, performing VERY well when he's had decent (and not even great) pass catchers like Torrey, Boldin and Pitta.

I think we might be arguing different points here. I'm not saying we were great to Flacco and he didn't deserve more weapons and better focus on the offense. I'm saying if JACKSON can't get it done you have to move on. The argument really doesn't have anything to do with Joe Flacco. Jackson so far as a passer is a lot more Boller than Flacco. You need to get him weapons regardless and give him a fair shot, no doubt. But if Jackson has shown that he can't be above 60% completion and have 250 yds/game routinely (something Flacco was very capable of), I think you have to cut bait. That's what I mean when I say "Imagine if, instead of drafting Flacco, they decide they were going to try to surround Boller with the right pieces." Boller wasn't the guy. Flacco was. I don't want to miss out on the next Flacco, the next true franchise QB, because we're loyal to Jackson who hasn't shown he can be a great NFL passer. And when we get that guy, and hopefully it's Lamar Jackson, we better give him better weapons than we gave Flacco. I guess we'll see how Flacco does when he goes to another team.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."