Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cord Cutters

Cord Cutters

How many of you (us) are there on here?

I have been talking about it for years at least and finally did it this morning.

They subsidize the cost of internet heavily if you are buying all the content so that went up.

With all the equipment rental fees though I'll be getting a decent amount back a month.

I watched a "local" couple build their own A frame in I think West Virginia and go totally off the grid and that pushed me into acting this morning.

The couple have a youtube channel "Wild Wonderful Off the Grid". I knew as soon as the husband started talking he had a local dialect and sure enough he does a mega commute to score "DC" money. His wife is really cute AF and well built and works as hard as he does. The farm land they own is really pretty.

Anyway very inspiring.

Re: Cord Cutters

I'd love to have a A-frame out in the wilderness, but not having internet is where my issue would be. Video games, movies, and football is a necessity.

I haven't had cable in years. Netflix Amazon Prime w/ hbo, showtime, Hulu is all I roll with. Plutotv is awesome for a free service as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Blog Entries

That's definitely an appealing lifestyle for me.

Buy 20+ acres somewhere. Build a house on it or buy something with a house and renovate it. If we didn't have kids in school, we might consider doing it now. I think once our kids graduate high school, we may do the whole "peace out" thing and leave Maryland.

I've been looking at property in Montana, northern Michigan, Idaho, Wyoming, etc.

Not that I really want to become Canadian, but I would love to live on Nova Scotia.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    That's definitely an appealing lifestyle for me.

Buy 20+ acres somewhere. Build a house on it or buy something with a house and renovate it. If we didn't have kids in school, we might consider doing it now. I think once our kids graduate high school, we may do the whole "peace out" thing and leave Maryland.

I've been looking at property in Montana, northern Michigan, Idaho, Wyoming, etc.

Not that I really want to become Canadian, but I would love to live on Nova Scotia.
    I love the area around Lake Coeur d'Alene in Idaho. Beautiful part of the country. I wouldn't want to live there in the winter time though. Too cold for my liking.

Blog Entries

Done it for a few years now. Replaced it with Sling primarily along with the other typical streaming services and I've been happy. Haven't missed cable at all. The hardest part was taking that first step outside that comfort zone.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Done it for a few years now. Replaced it with Sling primarily along with the other typical streaming services and I've been happy. Haven't missed cable at all. The hardest part was taking that first step outside that comfort zone.
    Now that Dish Network offers mobile live NFL games through a web browser, mobile device, laptop, etc. I'm much more inclined to look into this.

Losing out on watching the Ravens is what has really held me back.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    The hardest part was taking that first step outside that comfort zone.
    Agree 100%.

Might anyone direct me to a helpful tutorial on how to do this?

My parents are growing increasingly upset with their cable bill, but anything computer-related scares them. I'm wondering if there's a “Cord-cutting for Luddites” pamphlet somewhere.

We switched to using an antenna and a TV tuner with a shield TV to dvr. Also use Hulu, Amazon, disney+, and netflix

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    We switched to using an antenna and a TV tuner with a shield TV to dvr. Also use Hulu, Amazon, disney+, and netflix

What shield model are you using.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blovius_Maximus View Post
    Might anyone direct me to a helpful tutorial on how to do this?

My parents are growing increasingly upset with their cable bill, but anything computer-related scares them. I'm wondering if there's a “Cord-cutting for Luddites” pamphlet somewhere.
    The easiest thing to do is get an antenna with good range. Then get a firetv with a few apps and show them the voice search feature. Between the antenna getting them all the local news and the what comes with Prime/firetv that’s probably be enough

Quote Originally Posted by BustOfPallas View Post
    What shield model are you using.
    The 2017 model with a USB stick for apps and a 8tb USB hdd for recordings