Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: OT: Top Ten Wrestling Dream Matches

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I am hopeful that SD is a more smarky show, so I'd be a little disappointed if Cena and Roman are still featured prominently on it, though it does sound like that is the route they are going. TBH I think it works better that way, like you can have Roman feud with Seth on Raw, then face a challenger from SD for a couple months, then back to Raw, etc, which means another feud/title gets highlighted on the opposite show. That would be better to me than having the same 3-4 guys constantly rotating in the top spot on each show like it was 9-10 years ago. If done right, a lot more guys should be a lot more over and more main-event ready than they would be now.

I don't really think the Women's Division is deep enough to split them up unless Bayley is coming up imminently, in which case between Charlotte, Becky, Sasha, Bayley, and Paige, you have enough top end to split them up, and as you said, you can then have whoever is champion be on both shows.

What I'd really like to see is Randy Orton as a top guy on SD!, with a "rookie-killer" gimmick, basically his Legend Killer gimmick except he's going after the "New Era" guys, like Sami, Cesaro, etc.

Didn't they pretty much just start that with Sheamus this past RAW? Honestly, I've forgotten about Orton since he's been off the air. It'd be a nice few weeks of his return, but he will end up being right back where he was before he got injured, which is just pretty much being thrown in somewhere. I think he's gotten to the point in his career where he's just there to put the newer guys over, kinda like Jericho and Kane.

A couple of months of feuding on each show, will somewhat make the other show (the one the champ is not currently on) a bit of a bore. So you'd be watching Smackdown and getting a feud with the champ, get good and invested in the feud, only to have him just to the other show to do the same thing? For a couple more months? The Champ is the one that's supposed to be top draw (not intended for any Reigns bashing or hate at all, I like the guy) so to have them not be on one of the shows for a couple of months will only lessen the show by not having the champ on it for a few months. I personally don't care to watch a show, especially for a couple of months, if the champ isn't there. That being said, it's either gonna be the same was as the split has been before, or they split the title up again and have one for each, which, they've also already done.

They will have to feature some women wrestlers on each show, and they can't keep the champ and main contenders on one show, and expect the rest of the lesser female talent to draw a crowd on the other show. With a few call ups/signings (Bubba's gf Velvet Sky....bring in the Beautiful People) and returns from injury, I can see where they would have enough female talent to split between the shows and have the champ on each.

Blog Entries

I'm starting to see why fans sour on Reigns Vince is so stuck on making him like John Cena it's killing Reigns at no fault of his own. I'm kinda over Reigns title run if they are not going make him turn full heel. It's boring, stale and rather pointless, it's a good thing they brought in some talent in Stules, Zayn, KO, Bullet Club and guys coming back injury like Cesaro and Rollins or else WWE would be in some serious trouble right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    I'm starting to see why fans sour on Reigns Vince is so stuck on making him like John Cena it's killing Reigns at no fault of his own. I'm kinda over Reigns title run if they are not going make him turn full heel. It's boring, stale and rather pointless, it's a good thing they brought in some talent in Stules, Zayn, KO, Bullet Club and guys coming back injury like Cesaro and Rollins or else WWE would be in some serious trouble right now.
    I find the "not a good guy, not a bad guy, I'm the guy" bit much better than the force-fed face they were trying before, but then again, I've been a fan of Reigns from the beginning, so maybe I'm partial. A heel run would be good only because the fans continue to boo him, just because it's the cool thing to do now. I like how they are not going with what the crowd demands, and keeping the title on Reigns and making him "the guy". Hell, it's actually working because more and more fans are tuning in and or showing up to the shows just so they can try to boo him out of the building. If the fans really wanted the title off of Reigns and for him to not be the face of the company going forward, then they should show no reaction at all as if they are bored with him, or just stop showing up until the title is off of him. By expressing a loud reaction, even a negative one, it still generates attention and it's still putting asses in the seats each night. It's not hurting Reigns at all, he's still the champ, he's still the chosen one at the moment to take over Cena's role as the face of the company, and people are still spending $ just so they can go "boo" him each week. As a business standpoint, Vince is right by doing it, because the sales haven't dropped. Stone Cold was a heel, who got cheered each night, yet they kept him as heel and it worked. I'm not saying Reigns is up there on the level of SC, but it's pretty much the same thing. Stone Cold was supposed to be heel, the fans cheered the hell out of him, yet Vince kept him heel. It worked. Reigns is supposed to be face, the fans boo, Vince keeps him face. In time, it will probably work out.

If fans truly wanted the whole Reigns thing to stop, then they seriously need to stop giving loud ass reactions to him each night, start leaving during the main event when Reigns is wrestling, or stop showing up and watching each week. That's the only way to get the legit message that they don't want Reigns as the guy to stick. Otherwise, it's still making Vince $ and he will keep right on pushing it on the fans. Can't blame him either.

As noted, WWE SmackDown will begin airing live on the USA Network from 8pm - 10pm each Tuesday night beginning July 19th. SmackDown and RAW will have their own rosters for the first time in years.

Variety reports that each show will have their own storylines and writing teams. A WWE announcement also mentioned each show will have a "distinct cast, unique storylines and a dedicated writing team."

There will be a WWE Draft held soon but we do not know exactly when that it will be. WWE's announcement said it will come before the live premiere on July 19th.

They didn't give any indication of what they plan on doing with Title holders. I'm guessing they will just appear and defend on both shows like before.

See, I'd guy with conflicting contrasting personality styles, but physical types that would mesh.

So I'm going Nature Boy Rick Flair, to be the man you got to beat the man, vs. The all class champion of Bruno Sammartino.

Blog Entries

I just can't get with today's wrestling. I went to the Raw show the other night and it just wasn't the same.

Too many high spots
    Too many redundant moves (It's like every wrestler has the same fucking move set. They'll start off the match with the basic headlock, probably transitioning to the takedown, and you'll think they're about to get into a technical wrestling match. Then, it'll just be high spots, that flip kick to the head, and chops, before going for the finisher).
    Too many no sells
    Horrible promos (I'm not even sure if I should blame the wrestlers or the writers, if it's true that the wrestlers are hamstrung by a script)
    Fan reaction not the same

The only decent promo of the night was with Styles and his boys, who have now been split up and ruined thanks to Roman Reigns. Flair's girl has potential, but that shit was just too long and drawn out, and she should have given him a low blow to really get some heat.

I even tried to go back on youtube and watch a match with Finn Balor vs. this Apollo cruise guy (Who, for all of his potential botches like hell), and they basically no sold everything to constant standstills on the mat.
    Not enough story telling through the matches (The only one that did was the Miz's match, and New Day's to a degree for squash purposes that Heath Slater sold well because he's hilarious). The only match that was even decent was Owens/Styles.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

7. Re: OT: Top Ten Wrestling Dream Matches

Goldberg vs Gillberg
    You guys wanna hear a funny joke?

DEAN PEES............That is all

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I just can't get with today's wrestling. I went to the Raw show the other night and it just wasn't the same.

Too many high spots
    Too many redundant moves (It's like every wrestler has the same fucking move set. They'll start off the match with the basic headlock, probably transitioning to the takedown, and you'll think they're about to get into a technical wrestling match. Then, it'll just be high spots, that flip kick to the head, and chops, before going for the finisher).
    Too many no sells
    Horrible promos (I'm not even sure if I should blame the wrestlers or the writers, if it's true that the wrestlers are hamstrung by a script)
    Fan reaction not the same

The only decent promo of the night was with Styles and his boys, who have now been split up and ruined thanks to Roman Reigns. Flair's girl has potential, but that shit was just too long and drawn out, and she should have given him a low blow to really get some heat.

I even tried to go back on youtube and watch a match with Finn Balor vs. this Apollo cruise guy (Who, for all of his potential botches like hell), and they basically no sold everything to constant standstills on the mat.
    Not enough story telling through the matches (The only one that did was the Miz's match, and New Day's to a degree for squash purposes that Heath Slater sold well because he's hilarious). The only match that was even decent was Owens/Styles.
    I"m glad Charlotte finally kicked Ric to the curb. I was tired of seeing him out there each week. His backstage/in ring mic work has gotten horrible these days. He slurs way too many words and rambles on and on and doesn't even stay on topic. That said, I though Charlotte's promo of kicking him to the curb was okay. I agree that it lasted way too long. It came on on tv as if she was trying to get a huge reaction from the crowd and just wasn't getting it, so she kept on saying the same stuff over and over trying to get that reaction she thought she would get from it.

The big problem with today's matches is that a lot of the performers like to go over every spot of the match backstage, instead of calling it in the ring. They would rather have the entire match laid out backstage, so it looks as if it's very choreographed when actually watching it pan out. You can see them nodding their heads with each move as if they are going through the motions/match as it plays out. Old school wrestlers liked to have the beginning, a few high spots, and the end played out, and everything else in between was called on the spot in the ring. A big problem with guys having their entire match planed out before they even get in the ring is when they miss a spot or something doesn't go right, they both look like a deer in headlights while trying to figure out how to get back on track. When you call the spots in the ring, you don't have that problem because if something fails, you can immediately call something else to go with the flow. The only advantage I can see to having the match completely put together before hand is that you don't see the performers constantly calling the spots on camera, but the good/great performers know how to hide that as well.

You can blame all the high flying spots you see today on the fans and the rise of the Lucha style. I do believe that it is entertaining, but there's a time and place for it and it doesn't have the be the entire show. But, it's gotten to the point to where that's what today's generation of fans enjoy most, so any type of technical match would bore most fans to sleep these days. A good quality technical match has become a thing of the past. Cesaro and Daniel Bryan were probably 2 of the best technical wrestlers today (maybe add Tyson Kidd to the list) but all the high spots and fast paced matches is what fans enjoy now, so they have to adapt to that and unfortunately that takes away from the technical spots.

Quote Originally Posted by PainServer52 View Post
    Goldberg vs Gillberg
    I'd be the biggest Gillberg mark for that match. I never liked Goldberg, never will.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PainServer52 View Post
    Goldberg vs Gillberg
    Goldberg wouldn't last 2 minutes with Gillberg.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Goldberg wouldn't last 2 minutes with Gillberg.
    :happyanim

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    I"m glad Charlotte finally kicked Ric to the curb. I was tired of seeing him out there each week. His backstage/in ring mic work has gotten horrible these days. He slurs way too many words and rambles on and on and doesn't even stay on topic. That said, I though Charlotte's promo of kicking him to the curb was okay. I agree that it lasted way too long. It came on on tv as if she was trying to get a huge reaction from the crowd and just wasn't getting it, so she kept on saying the same stuff over and over trying to get that reaction she thought she would get from it.

The big problem with today's matches is that a lot of the performers like to go over every spot of the match backstage, instead of calling it in the ring. They would rather have the entire match laid out backstage, so it looks as if it's very choreographed when actually watching it pan out. You can see them nodding their heads with each move as if they are going through the motions/match as it plays out. Old school wrestlers liked to have the beginning, a few high spots, and the end played out, and everything else in between was called on the spot in the ring. A big problem with guys having their entire match planed out before they even get in the ring is when they miss a spot or something doesn't go right, they both look like a deer in headlights while trying to figure out how to get back on track. When you call the spots in the ring, you don't have that problem because if something fails, you can immediately call something else to go with the flow. The only advantage I can see to having the match completely put together before hand is that you don't see the performers constantly calling the spots on camera, but the good/great performers know how to hide that as well.

You can blame all the high flying spots you see today on the fans and the rise of the Lucha style. I do believe that it is entertaining, but there's a time and place for it and it doesn't have the be the entire show. But, it's gotten to the point to where that's what today's generation of fans enjoy most, so any type of technical match would bore most fans to sleep these days. A good quality technical match has become a thing of the past. Cesaro and Daniel Bryan were probably 2 of the best technical wrestlers today (maybe add Tyson Kidd to the list) but all the high spots and fast paced matches is what fans enjoy now, so they have to adapt to that and unfortunately that takes away from the technical spots.
    The most famous example of pre-planning an entire match, in the past, was Steamboat vs. Savage. However, that's STEAMBOAT.....AND SAVAGE. You are right though. When you listen to older wrestlers discuss particular matches and how they planned them, they always talk about how they start, how they finish, and what high spots they could agree on doing.

The only chance I see this changing is if a smaller organization with an old school styled cult following, pops up, with solid financial backing. Right now, there just isn't an alternative. TNA is a joke and ROH is too cheap, as Jim Cornette puts it.