Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Re: Flacco uses the R-word....great....

Quote Originally Posted by drunkmormon View Post
    So you think calling people assholes is politically correct?
    It can be rude, depending on context, but there is no minority class of people who are collectively labeled "assholes". So yes, there is nothing inherently politically incorrect about calling someone an asshole.

Honestly I think half this debate is about people like you who keep trying to define politically correct as meaning "Never say anything that insults anyone ever." That's not what it's about. It's about removing, to the best of one's abilities, culturally loaded terms that have historically been used to lump minority classes into homogeneous groups.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

And you think it ok to make fun of PETA on the Ray Lewis deer antler thread? PC is all about not picking and choosing based on your life, but accepting all...
    People chose to be members of PETA, no one decided to be mentally handicapped. One is fair game for mockery because it is mocking people's behavior and choices, the other is mocking someone for something innate and inborn in them.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I'm offended by this, could you pleas edit this...
    If this is a sarcastic attempt to pretend to be PC, it fails because political correctness doesn't expect people to never use loaded terms. Clearly I don't condone calling anyone a nigger, but using the word to draw a comparison between one word which is universally regarded as verboten, and another which is slowly moving in that direction, is a valid use of an otherwise offensive term.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    Again, split hairs and judge others by your own moral compass, it suits you well.
    Does anyone have anything BUT their own moral compass by which to judge? I guess it suits everyone well!

so wear the pretentiousness cloak proudly.
    Sure, I will, seeing as an ad hominem attack is a logical fallacy and has nothing to do with the validity of my argument that words have power so we should use them mindfully.

Take note, because you and other's deem the word retarded or have some theory about the advancing of the civilization dropping words that become offensive doesn't mean shit to me nor does it have anything to do with my level of empathy towards my fellow man.
    Wrong. Your "level of empathy toward your fellow man" is directly spoken to by your inability to not use words that can and do hurt many people. The fact you believe no one should care what strangers say to strangers speaks directly to a lack of empathy. Calling people "pussies" for the fact they care how their fellow man is spoken to speaks to a lack of empathy.
    My Ravens Blog: Brittany Rants About Football
    Ravens-Redskins: Dissecting the Final Drive

"The days are long. But the years are short." - John Harbaugh

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    People chose to be members of PETA, no one decided to be mentally handicapped. One is fair game for mockery because it is mocking people's behavior and choices, the other is mocking someone for something innate and inborn in them.
    You are correct that mentally less-abled did not choose to be so... but the rest is unfounded. Being politically correct, which is what protects the less-abled from the word retarded, also protects peoples life choices.

And I would add that handicapped is considered an offensive term.
    Last edited by drunkmormon; 01-29-2013 at 02:38 PM. Reason: For the "and I would add"

You are correct that mentally less-abled did not choose to be so... but the rest is unfounded. Being politically correct, which is what protects the less-abled, also protects peoples life choices.
    You're seriously going to try and tell me the meaning of a word that you clearly don't understand, so here, let's just actual definitions huh?
    politically correct
    noun
    marked by or adhering to a typically progressive orthodoxy on issues involving especially race, gender, sexual affinity, or ecology
    Not seeing anything about life choices. Let's try another.

politically correct
    adj. Abbr. PC
    1. Of, relating to, or supporting broad social, political, and educational change, especially to redress historical injustices in matters such as race, class, gender, and sexual orientation.
    Hmm.. Still nothing about life choices.

politically correct language or behaviour is not offensive, especially to people who have often been affected by discrimination
    Still nothing. Weird.

I'll say this, I doubt if this were an actual conversation and not a bunch of anonymous posters on a message board you wouldn't being using that word. That's my point.
    When discussing issues of offensive language and it's impact on society, I have used that word in person and online.

I'm not using it for shock value or to appear tough. I'm using it because it is a universally understood example of a word that society has collectively decided not to use anymore because of it's loaded history and social baggage. When people insist that they don't understand why calling something gay or retarded is such a big deal, reminding them of the existence of the word nigger is often an effective way to provide a relateable example.

Blog Entries

When discussing issues of offensive language and it's impact on society, I have used that word in person and online.

I'm not using it for shock value or to appear tough. I'm using it because it is a universally understood example of a word that society has collectively decided not to use anymore because of it's loaded history and social baggage. When people insist that they don't understand why calling something gay or retarded is such a big deal, reminding them of the existence of the word nigger is often an effective way to provide a relateable example.
    I deleted my post in hopes not to go down this road. So I'll just say this. I know many, many , many people that the mere use of the "N word" regardless of intent will be offended.

Which is why PC is so ridiculous. Just using a word regardless of intent offends people. R.I.D.I.C.U.L.O.U.S.

It can be rude, depending on context, but there is no minority class of people who are collectively labeled "assholes". So yes, there is nothing inherently politically incorrect about calling someone an asshole.

Honestly I think half this debate is about people like you who keep trying to define politically correct as meaning "Never say anything that insults anyone ever." That's not what it's about. It's about removing, to the best of one's abilities, culturally loaded terms that have historically been used to lump minority classes into homogeneous groups.
    I agree asshole is not at the center of politically correct, but was curious as to your response. However, insulting someone, no matter how you do it results in the thin/thick skin debate that you are arguing against.

To be honest, I am just having fun with this whole thing... if I was in an interview I would never use the word retard or gay, but with my friends I would.

You're seriously going to try and tell me the meaning of a word that you clearly don't understand, so here, let's just actual definitions huh?

Not seeing anything about life choices. Let's try another.

Hmm.. Still nothing about life choices.

Still nothing. Weird.
    PC is not a word, but a concept... so a dictionary type definition is not going to work... visit Wikipedia:

"Political correctness (adjectivally, politically correct; both forms commonly abbreviated to PC) is a term which denotes language, ideas, policies, and behavior seen as seeking to minimize social and institutional offense in occupational, gender, racial, cultural, sexual orientation, certain other religions, beliefs or ideologies, disability, and age-related contexts, and, as purported by the term, doing so to an excessive extent."

Or take an ethics class...

Which is why PC is so ridiculous. Just using a word regardless of intent offends people. R.I.D.I.C.U.L.O.U.S.
    No, it's not ridiculous at all. First of all, other than the fact that it reflects badly on Joe and Ravens, I'm glad Flacco did this b/c I think it's a useful discussion. A NFL media event is held to pretty much the highest standards of scrutiny and PC-ness (or whatever you want to call it, I don't want to get hung up on that debate). Anyway, I view it as a trickle down effect.
    1) Flacco gets called out for using this term and apologizes (this alone doesn't matter to me)
    which causes
    2) Lots of people who used the term casually realize that it might offend people and stop using it (again, I don't care about this)
    which causes
    3) The term to be less widely used. So when a bully on a school yard wants to pick on a kid, especially a disabled kid (and perhaps my son), and decides to call him a retard, it's not normal or ok anymore, it's offensive. The teachers, and more importantly, the other kids now look down on that bully and make him feel ashamed for doing it, and he's less likely to do it again. (I care deeply about this)

Replace "retarded" with pejorative use of "gay" and you can have the same discussion about gay kids (with the obvious difference that "gay" has been co-opted into a positive or descriptive meaning as well).

The N-word is still the greatest example of this. Tons of people that might use the N-word with no malice don't use it, and it causes actual asshole racists to have to either stick out like a sore thumb or keep it to themselves, and the world is a better place for that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by akashicrecorder View Post
    Does anyone have anything BUT their own moral compass by which to judge? I guess it suits everyone well!

Sure, I will, seeing as an ad hominem attack is a logical fallacy and has nothing to do with the validity of my argument that words have power so we should use them mindfully.

Wrong. Your "level of empathy toward your fellow man" is directly spoken to by your inability to not use words that can and do hurt many people. The fact you believe no one should care what strangers say to strangers speaks directly to a lack of empathy. Calling people "pussies" for the fact they care how their fellow man is spoken to speaks to a lack of empathy.
    Again, your opinion, you want to get butt hurt over it, have at it.