Page 29 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2728293031 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Orlovsky on Ravens Pass Concepts

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Warner, JT, Simms also have been complimentary of Roman and the scheme but that part gets ignored of course.
    His scheme isn't terrible when he can run the ball. When he can't run the ball effectively, he doesn't have a lot of depth in his passing attack to counter the lack of the run.

I'd also suggest that his scheme/playbook does have some good creative plays designed to get chunk yards in the passing game, but he's not calling those plays. I do think there is an issue with the playcalling and the gameplans this season. It's been really ho-hum.

The lack of talent at WR and RB isn't helping.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    His scheme isn't terrible when he can run the ball. When he can't run the ball effectively, he doesn't have a lot of depth in his passing attack to counter the lack of the run.

I'd also suggest that his scheme/playbook does have some good creative plays designed to get chunk yards in the passing game, but he's not calling those plays. I do think there is an issue with the playcalling and the gameplans this season. It's been really ho-hum.

The lack of talent at WR and RB isn't helping.
    I agree the depth at WR and RB is a problem. I also think the depth/complexity of the passing is also related to how Lamar is playing. When there are open receivers he has to see them, when he does see them he has to hit them. Lamar has to execute the available opportunites in this offense better. Lamar is navigating the process of finding the right amount of adlib playmaking with the right amount of executing the play as called, on time and on target.

Also, people forget that despite everything, despite the perception this offense has been productive. Its one of the top offenses in the league right now. When Lamar starts execute the passing game the way we know he can then everything will look different. I think the Jags game was a step in the right direction for Lamar. On the whole he looked better then he's looked recently and he still left plays out there....and so did the the receivers. Duve had a rare drop, a banged up Andrews didn't make some of the plays he usually makes.

If were going to look at the drops, which we should, we also have to look at and acknowledge the throws Lamar missed....and even harder still to see the plays and players that aren't given opportunity when Lamar doesn't see them. Just look at some of the games different receivers had this season Duve has made plays, DRob made plays, Oliver out of the blue made plays. Heck, vs the Bucs how many different players had catches? A lot of the talk around the offense and passing game doesn't look at how Lamar has actually been playing. He has been up and down.

Lamar is a franchise QB and I know the personnel talent is viewed as limited....alot of people look at the production or lack and conclude the lack of WR talent/scheme is holding the offense back. I believe that even with the current offensive personnel there is more then enough talent to play better then they are....and for me that starts with Lamar. And that's true when any franchise QB isn't playing well. I have a ton of faith in him, he is good enough to play better then he has been. The WR talent right isn't that much different then the WR talent in his MVP season. I think both things can be true...this offense has limited personnel...but Lamar himself needs to and can play better. That's how it goes when you're the franchise QB.
    "Those corners...and those safeties are going to be one-on-one... and we got to make them pay for it," Harbs

"I think he’d be[Lamar] the greatest player in the history of the game,” Young said

I agree the depth at WR and RB is a problem. I also think the depth/complexity of the passing is also related to how Lamar is playing. When there are open receivers he has to see them, when he does see them he has to hit them. Lamar has to execute the available opportunites in this offense better. Lamar is navigating the process of finding the right amount of adlib playmaking with the right amount of executing the play as called, on time and on target.

Also, people forget that despite everything, despite the perception this offense has been productive. Its one of the top offenses in the league right now. When Lamar starts execute the passing game the way we know he can then everything will look different. I think the Jags game was a step in the right direction for Lamar. On the whole he looked better then he's looked recently and he still left plays out there....and so did the the receivers. Duve had a rare drop, a banged up Andrews didn't make some of the plays he usually makes.

If were going to look at the drops, which we should, we also have to look at and acknowledge the throws Lamar missed....and even harder still to see the plays and players that aren't given opportunity when Lamar doesn't see them. Just look at some of the games different receivers had this season Duve has made plays, DRob made plays, Oliver out of the blue made plays. Heck, vs the Bucs how many different players had catches? A lot of the talk around the offense and passing game doesn't look at how Lamar has actually been playing. He has been up and down.

Lamar is a franchise QB and I know the personnel talent is viewed as limited....alot of people look at the production or lack and conclude the lack of WR talent/scheme is holding the offense back. I believe that even with the current offensive personnel there is more then enough talent to play better then they are....and for me that starts with Lamar. And that's true when any franchise QB isn't playing well. I have a ton of faith in him, he is good enough to play better then he has been. The WR talent right isn't that much different then the WR talent in his MVP season. I think both things can be true...this offense has limited personnel...but Lamar himself needs to and can play better. That's how it goes when you're the franchise QB.
    I know it is going to come across as overly critical but I don't think I am saying anything anyone here doesn't see as well. Lamar has an accuracy problem. He has always had an accuracy problem and that accuracy problem is part of the reason why the FO maybe a bit reluctant to move to more of a traditional offense beyond the cost involved in doing so.

I actually have always been impressed with Jackson ability to read defenses and go through his progressions. We have had guys who flat out locked on targets and ignored going through their progressions most times Lamar identifies the correct read it's getting the ball there especially on the deep and intermediate passes that just hasn't been there.

Scheme sucks and I'm to the point where I think must of the talent Is overhyped.

Lamar is inconsistent

Andrews is peppered with targets... but at this point, can he change a game like kelce or (when he played and healthy- waller) or what we saw with kittle before san fran forgot he played for them... is he that much better than every other good te

Our wrs? Hard pass.

Rb? Injured, gus is a bruiser but does he benefit from runheact formations with a dual threat qb... is he a back that is dynamic or would be elite on other teams...

Idk it's all just kinda mediocre

This is a fair and correct take that no-one wants to hear. But its true.

Multiple things can be true at the same time.

We can have some limitations, skill wise, and some scheme limitations, and Lamar can also still be leaving obvious / lay-up plays on the field (which, he is)

If you can put it together, this is a superbowl team.

If he can't pass or the Gus / Dobbins combo doesn't ressurect and takeover, this isn't a legit playoff team.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan7716 View Post
    Good PULL!

THe last few seconds of the video tells you all you need to know (There are far too many clips that look like this) that immediately tells you its not the players screwing it up.

This is by design and its because Roman is Trash, and Harbaugh is not a good enough coach to know any better to see it.

This video goes back to "Everything I have been pointing out" for years now how Romans formations cut off half the field. Especially in the red zone.

Harbaugh just said in his presser he felt they called their best plays. THey genuinely believe what they are doing is good. ITS CLEARLY NOT.

This offense by design is absolute TRASH. This is why defenses are stopping so many drives. The Ravens themselves are shooting themselves in the foot because as you just saw (They had a guy on defense completely running free No one was even on his side of the field) that means the defense shut down the Ravens offense with 10 guys.

How sad is that, Nobody was open when the opposing team just shut their shit down with only 10 players needed????

GREG Roman and Harbaugh have got to go
    Harbaugh has never been a coordinator and is merely a spectator on game day.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    Hurts wasn't very accurate when he was at Alabama either. Sometimes it's just a mechanical issue like with Hurts or Lamar. Other times people just are not accurate, like Boller.
    "A moron, a rapist, and a Pittsburgh Steeler walk into a bar. He sits down and says, “Hi I’m Ben may I have a drink please?”
    ProFootballMock

Quote Originally Posted by darb72 View Post
    Hurts wasn't very accurate when he was at Alabama either. Sometimes it's just a mechanical issue like with Hurts or Lamar. Other times people just are not accurate, like Boller.
    Josh Allen wasn't very accurate in college either with a completion percentage of 56.2%. It's also the main reason why I didn't want the Ravens to draft Allen as I didn't trust the Ravens to completely develop him as a passer. Plus inaccurate passing college QB's have a high bust potential in the NFL.

Allen would have the usual development issues that any young quarterback goes through and Harbaugh would have used that as an excuse to turn him into modern day Mike Alstott.

Quote Originally Posted by xiao_ke View Post
    Josh Allen wasn't very accurate in college either with a completion percentage of 56.2%. It's also the main reason why I didn't want the Ravens to draft Allen as I didn't trust the Ravens to completely develop him as a passer. Plus inaccurate passing college QB's have a high bust potential in the NFL.

Allen would have the usual development issues that any young quarterback goes through and Harbaugh would have used that as an excuse to turn him into modern day Mike Alstott.
    Instead the bills get diggs who makes Allen loom awesome for a bit. And we get a shake of bulshit. Also our passing game looks like a bit of bullshit

Quote Originally Posted by xiao_ke View Post

There are sort of *s to many of those stats. Like people made excuses for Boller when they should have further scrutinized his completion percentage playing under a simple one read offense with designed plays (Tedford).

The same goes for Baker everyone was essentially lauding his completion percentage but criticizing Allen when Allen played under a pro-style offense at Wyoming while baker played under a spread offense with a limited number of reads and when that read wasn't there he basically was told to takeoff or improvise.

That stuff will work in college but when you are a mediocre athlete like Baker is the defenders you are able to get away from in college in the pros they will catch you and sack your ass
    Last edited by boller4president; 12-03-2022 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Well, well, if it isn't my Ol' friend Charles Xavier. How was your Thanksgiving at the mansion Charles?

Yes, Peyton Manning did give praise to Greg Roman. However, the praise was to his running scheme, and the motion involved in it. As many will tell you, that much motion pre-snap, actually becomes a detriment to the passing offense. And while you're not the first person to reference Peyton Manning's statements on the matter, you would be the first to actually declare that Peyton Manning would love to play in a Greg Roman offense. I mean, if you are so willing.............................

Hey Magneto and my thanksgiving was great. Hope your was great if not better. I apologize for the late response but in regards to Peyton Manning I was just messing around .Seeing Peyton Manning in Greg Roman offense probably would be interesting to see. Roman probably would give Manning more respect to open things up in the passing game. Not sure if Roman trust Lamar Jackson fully as a passer for some reason but could be wrong.