Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Re: Hard to Believe the NFLPA Signed Off on This!

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    This is beyond stupid for players.

You can either not prepare properly in the offseason increasing the likelihood of poor performance or an injury occuring costing players in the long run.Or you can prepare properly and put your current deal at risk should you get injured.
    They can work out at the team's facility all year round. The teams do want them working out, but at the team's facility using their equipment under their trainer's supervision. Under those conditions they take all of the risk and the player has none.

What is stupid is a player working out on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    They can work out at the team's facility all year round. The teams do want them working out, but at the team's facility using their equipment under their trainer's supervision. Under those conditions they take all of the risk and the player has none.

What is stupid is a player working out on his own.
    Right, I mean all these facilities have indoor fields now. It's not like they would be throwing footballs in Denver in March in 30 degree weather.

What hasn't been mentioned is one of the main reasons why they want to workout outside of the team. Many players live in South Florida and other warm locations in the off-season and want to enjoy the things that come with that. They don't want to stay in Baltimore, Pittsburgh, or New England in the offseason. That's great, neither do I, but I have a job and have to put food on the table. They also usually retire at 35 as multi millionaires while the rest of us are working until 65 or 70. They can live wherever they want for a majority of their life without financial constraints.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TIGERBLOOD; 05-07-2021 at 07:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TIGERBLOOD View Post
    Right, I mean all these facilities have indoor fields now. It's not like they would be throwing footballs in Denver in March in 30 degree weather.

What hasn't been mentioned is one of the main reasons why they want to workout outside of the team. Many players live in South Florida and other warm locations in the off-season and want to enjoy the things that come with that. They don't want to stay in Baltimore, Pittsburgh, or New England in the offseason. That's great, neither do I, but I have a job and have to put food on the table. They also usually retire at 35 as multi millionaires while the rest of us are working until 65 or 70. They can live wherever they want for a majority of their life without financial constraints.

Yes, I'm quoting my own post, but if Bisciotti wanted to guarantee the Ravens get every free agent they want he would build a facility in Florida for the players and coaches. He already lives in S. Florida in the offseason.

I mean MLB does it with their Spring Training sites. It would be immensely popular with the players.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Quote Originally Posted by TIGERBLOOD View Post
    Yes, I'm quoting my own post, but if Bisciotti wanted to guarantee the Ravens get every free agent they want he would build a facility in Florida for the players and coaches. He already lives in S. Florida in the offseason.

I mean MLB does it with their Spring Training sites. It would be immensely popular with the players.

I was thinking the same thing. Team approved facilities in the warmer climates. You could even share facilities with other teams.

That said, the teams are really interested in getting players to show up for OTAs and other voluntary activities that this idea wouldn't help with.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    I was thinking the same thing. Team approved facilities in the warmer climates. You could even share facilities with other teams.

That said, the teams are really interested in getting players to show up for OTAs and other voluntary activities that this idea wouldn't help with.
    Unless they treated it like Spring Training and moved the entire operation down there for the Summer.

@TomPelissero
    ·
    May 3
    NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said on a call today with rookie players and their agents that the union again will negotiate the right for players to opt out of the 2021 season, per source.

Dozens of players took the opt-out in 2020 amidst the COVID-19 pandemic.
    Really?
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Really?
    they're grasping for straws because the league won't negotiate the camp item. It's already been negotiated and they're not going to open it back up

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    It’s a weird stance for the Broncos to take IMO. If I’m a player I’m not playing there if I have a choice. Also, you have to work out on your own. You’re expected to come to camp in shape. This seems to incentivize players against staying in shape in the offseason
    It's not weird at all. If I am the Broncos I want to ensure that any injury I am covering is NFL related and that the player who got injured is following a certain standard that maximizes his workout routine with the lowest risk to injury.

I do not want to pay them to play basketball and pretend it was a workout injury like Suggs and many others have done. Honestly if players don't want to take their job and the NFL seriously forget opt-outs maybe they should just shut it down. I don't want to watch a bunch of out of shape players run around the field playing themselves into shape.

I've seen what that looks like with certain guys.

Blog Entries

@TomPelissero (May 3)
    NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith said on a call today with rookie players and their agents that the union again will negotiate the right for players to opt out of the 2021 season, per source.

Dozens of players took the opt-out in 2020 amidst the COVID-19 pandemic.
    Sure, let your players sit and not get paid (again?). I wonder if he considers that the NFL has an ocean of UDFAs that just played college football? Aside from the draft, there is an inexhaustible amount of guys who'd love to play Pro Football. Yes, they're not near as good as those vets who would sit, but if D. Smith thinks for a moment the NFL is intimidated by his "threat", let me remind him the league played every single game (regular season and playoffs) last year. They're even more prepared in 2021. The NFLPA offers empty threats... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    they're grasping for straws because the league won't negotiate the camp item. It's already been negotiated and they're not going to open it back up
    They are getting dangerously close to alienating the fan base like MLB did last year when the multi millionaire veterans were squabbling over salary while many rookies were making 10% of what they were.

Blog Entries

Ravens players put out a statement last month and said they’d be joining other players around the league in not attending voluntary workouts at the facility. That hasn’t stopped a decent number of returning players from going to the facility to get their work in. I’m told nearly two dozen Ravens players were at the facility at different points last week.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!