Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: How Ex NFL'ers Go Broke

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Servers don't see that 9%
    I would hope that is the bartenders portion of the tip. When I waited tables the waiters had to tip out the bar at the end of the night because of the drinks you ordered from the bar.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Servers don't see that 9%
    Again though, this is a reprint of the receipt, not the copy he was given and signed for, any tip over the included gratuity would only be on that copy and his copy if he chose to keep it.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

The problem with professional athletes going broke is that a lot of them have never had a job before and don't realize that making $1,000,000+ a year is not what you will be making forever. If you come into money later on in life, you can appreciate the hard work that goes into earning your pay. When you go through your whole life with people giving you everything because you are good at sports, you take for granted that people will just freely hand you what ever you want for the rest of your life. That being said you get $100,000 per game it is no problem spending $16,000 because you have another game check coming next week. When their careers are over they still want to spend $16,000 a night out, but aren't making anywhere near that money.

Ask anyone you know who did wait tables, they will tell you about the money they made. You get cash money every day, so you go out and party every night. It's hard to save anything, because you spend it so freely because it's just sitting there burning a hole in your pocket. It's similar, but no where near the same amounts of money, as being a professional athlete. When you do get that job with a weekly or biweekly paycheck it takes a while to be able to make that last all week long. After a while you do get used to it, but it so easy to spend and so hard to make.

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED?!

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Again though, this is a reprint of the receipt, not the copy he was given and signed for, any tip over the included gratuity would only be on that copy and his copy if he chose to keep it.
    Good point.

I'm just cynical since there are a ton of stories out there about athletes being poor tippers.

Blog Entries

I don't have one iota of sympathy for any pro athlete who goes broke. Too many of us regular folks get laid-off, can't pay for kids' college educations, and many lose their houses to foreclosure. So why should I care for some guy who made million$ playing a child's game, and blows it ? Keep in mind that most start their careers @ 21, and are of adult age... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I don't have one iota of sympathy for any pro athlete who goes broke. Too many of us regular folks get laid-off, can't pay for kids' college educations, and many lose their houses to foreclosure. So why should I care for some guy who made million$ playing a child's game, and blows it ? Keep in mind that most start their careers @ 21, and are of adult age... Bc
    I agree with you to a point.

Yes, they're adults but many times its by age only, having come from nothing with very little education in terms of managing finances.

Blog Entries

I agree with you to a point.

Yes, they're adults but many times its by age only, having come from nothing with very little education in terms of managing finances.
    At their tender ages they likely have parents, uncles/aunts, perhaps older siblings, coaches, veteran players, etc. to give them guidance IF (BIG IF) they want to listen. Aren't we all responsible for our actions? I know there's a grain of truth in your statement, but that does not exempt these young players from making mistakes of their own doing AND paying a huge price for them, especially down the line as they age... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    At their tender ages they likely have parents, uncles/aunts, perhaps older siblings, coaches, AND A LITANY OF HANGERS ON TRYING DESPERATELY TO SUCK THEM DRY OF EVERYTHING THEY CAN GET.
    FTFY.

Sorry for the all caps, bolding is tough from a phone.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    FTFY.

Sorry for the all caps, bolding is tough from a phone.
    So we're not responsible for our own actions? Yep, give 'em an excuse so we can all live in a "no fault" society. BTW, are you ready to contribute to their "relief" funds? ... Bc

So understanding that these kids are frequently taken advantage of by people who they are supposed to be able to trust, and are very often not given the proper education with regards to managing large sums of money is the same as saying they're not responsible for their own actions?

Since when?

I can understand the gaps these guys fall into without absolving them of their share of responsibility, and in doing so am able to scrounge up that iota of sympathy that you can't find.

Blog Entries

I don't give them a free pass for it, but it is the way it is. Tavon Austin mentioned that after getting drafted, all of the sudden a lot of "Family members" started talking to him more than they ever had in the past.

http://nesn.com/2013/05/tavon-austin...st-round-pick/

Luckily for him, he understands the pitfalls (at least somewhat) and is aware that people are going to be coming for money from him, so he needs to be careful.

Family is tough. They guilt you into feeling like if you don't help them out, you're not good people. But those same people are probably asking for it because they're in bad shape, and they're looking for whatever outlet they can find to make an easy buck. In those cases, it's not like these guys are "making it rain". They're getting talked into bad deals which they think are helping family, but in many cases are really just chucking money to a freeloader.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

A customary tip for satisfactory service is 15% in the states.

Lots of athletes here have a reputation being poor tippers but that's for another thread.

I thought it was 20%. That's what I've been paying - 18% if service isn't so hot. Nothing
    if it's terrible.

15% went out years ago and I learned that over in the other forum and guys jumped
    on me for paying 15%. I didn't know it went up to 20%. I paid more than than
    last night because I eat at the same places every week and they know me so I pay
    more.

I'll leave nothing if the service is really bad but I'll always tell them why.