Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

#3 Seed a Real Possibility

As we already know, the Ravens probably need to win out to get into the postseason at all. It's possible that Miami could lose again, but it probably won't happen. Although they have to go to Buffalo to play a team that already beat them this season in a location where the weather could be nasty, I just don't see it happening. The 'Phins already showed that this particular group can handle the snow and cold when they beat Pittsburgh a few weeks ago, and the Bills are not playing as well as they were earlier in the year while Miami has turned things around.

However, if the Ravens can manage to win out, not only will they simply win the AFC North, there's a very real chance that they would be the #3 seed. The Colts final two games are at Kansas City and vs. the Jaguars. If they were to lose one of these games (next week at KC being the most likely scenario), the Ravens would leapfrog them for the third seed based on the common games tiebreaker. Given how the Colts have been playing lately, that's hardly far-fetched.

Getting into that third slot would mean that the Ravens would likely face either Miami or Cincy at home in the opening round of the playoffs, a far better matchup (in my opinion) than KC. While the Chiefs have lost to Denver twice this season, I still consider them a legitimate candidate to go into Denver and knock off the Broncos if they can get past the first round.

The Ravens of course need to take care of their own business first, but if they can there's a very good chance that the postseason bracket would set up quite nicely for them, possibly even giving them a chance to host the AFC championship game if they can advance far enough into the postseason. There's a lot that needs to happen first, but given where this team was a month ago, it's pretty remarkable that we can even talk about this as a real possibility.

Re: #3 Seed a Real Possibility

Not to dismiss, but b/c it's NE, at home, I can't look past next week, b/c I'm looking forward to it so much.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Not to dismiss, but b/c it's NE, at home, I can't look past next week, b/c I'm looking forward to it so much.
    The team should definetly not be looking past New England, and I doubt they are. But I'm not on the team, so I can look as far ahead as I want. :)

iggyman555 Guest

#3 is not real possibility

Am I correct that if both the Chargers and Dolphins lose next week, we're in regardless of what happens with the Patriots? Or do the Chargers still hold the tiebreaker with us?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_Carcetti View Post
    Am I correct that if both the Chargers and Dolphins lose next week, we're in regardless of what happens with the Patriots? Or do the Chargers still hold the tiebreaker with us?
    The Chargers don't hold any tie breakers over us.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    Only 3 things have to happen for the Ravens to be the #3 seed: Ravens defeat Pats, Ravens defeat Bengals, Colts lose to KC. Why do you think these are not "real possibilities"? Please be specific, & justify your answer. Otherwise you're just another fan with an opinion, & you know what they say about opinions

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    The Chargers don't hold any tie breakers over us.
    Bad things happen if the chargers, ravens, and Miami ends up at 9-7.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hokiefan View Post
    Bad things happen if the chargers, ravens, and Miami ends up at 9-7.
    Yeah, Miami gets through on conf record, the Chargers aren't in a very favorable position either way, they need both the Ravens and the Phins to lose out from this point on.

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Only 3 things have to happen for the Ravens to be the #3 seed: Ravens defeat Pats, Ravens defeat Bengals, Colts lose to KC. Why do you think these are not "real possibilities"? Please be specific, & justify your answer. Otherwise you're just another fan with an opinion, & you know what they say about opinions
    i would put odds of that at 10%-20%....thus not real possibility

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    If you're saying that it's not a real possibility b/c the Ravens are unlikely to win out, then that's fair. It's certainly not a given that they'll beat both NE and Cincy. But if they are indeed able to win out, it is not at all far-fetched. The only other thing that would have to happen would be for KC to beat Indy, which is hardly a stretch.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy_Carcetti View Post
    If Miami, Baltimore & San Diego lose next week, Fins & Crows are 8-7 and Bolts 7-8. If MIA & BAL lost the next week to finish 8-8 & SD also finished 8-8, the Fins would advance on better AFC record. Not to mention that it might allow the Yinzers to sneak back in--at 8-8 they would hold tiebreakers over the Ravens & eliminate them before things got out of the AFCN,

However, if Miami & San Diego were to lose next week while Baltimore beat New England, that would clinch at least the #6 seed for the Ravens--only Fins could also reach 9-7 & the Crows hold head to head.