Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: Courtney Upshaw's weight issues

This is a big year for Courtney Upshaw. He showed well as a run defender last year despite being in poor shape/overweight well into the season, and could have really nailed down a spot for himself in the Ravens' long-term plans if he showed up slimmer and more explosive to add some pass-rushing prowess to his repertoire. Instead, he shows up much bigger even than he was at this time last year and obviously completely out of shape. Don't forget that workout/weight/effort issues dogged Upshaw in college as well, and there is no minimizing what has now become a clear pattern of behavior. He's trending downward and needs to reverse that ASAP.

This is a year for the Ravens to sort out the future on the edges. Suggs has a cap number in 2014 that can only be justified if he bounces back in a huge way this year--which IMO is unlikely given his age and the amount of wear and tear on his body. The Ravens are clearly committed to a youth movement and Suggs doesn't fit that long-term.

Dumervil is likely going to see his whole contract, which is pretty reasonable, but that's only 1 spot locked down and he would probably do well to be spelled on at least some run downs. The spot across from him is going to be up for grabs perhaps as soon as 2014, and who locks down that spot? The team might have envisioned Upshaw as that guy, but they were smart enough to get an insurance policy with John Simon. The two are really polar opposites--Upshaw a highly talented, but unrefined and undisciplined player; Simon a workout warrior with limited natural athleticism. We'll see who's the starter and who's the backup come 2014.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    As I said before, Suggs used to show up out of shape. After he got his new deal, he showed up on time and in shape and suddenly...the light came on even brighter.
    Your timeline is a little off, or perhaps it's just the way I'm reading it. The first year after signing his new deal, Suggs came in fat and slow, and had an overall season that was well below his standards. After that, he got it. He's not made the same mistake again, and I don't think he ever will. I don't doubt that Ray had a few words with him, too, as the year went on that cemented the lesson for him.

As an aside, I was listening to a discussion on The Fan the other day about who the new leaders are going to be. The talking heads (I think it was Zinno and Vinnie, but I can't remember). They and most of the callers were panning the idea of Suggs being a leader in the locker room. I think they don't understand leadership, personally. Suggs already is a leader and he's going to be more central in that role, in my expectations, this coming season on the defense. That he's a joker who likes to keep the mood light doesn't negate that. His inculcation of the lesson learned after not being prepared for his first season as a highly-paid "star" in the NFL is evidence of his leadership qualities. He's not Ray. No one else is going to be. But he is and will be a leader on the Ravens. And he'll be a good one.

Blog Entries

If he's overweight in August, it's a different matter. Now, pfffft

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Ravenswintitle is right.

But given the nature of this article, I dont see any middle ground.

I was reading the article as saying, LAST year Upshaw admittedly slacked and THIS year, he's afraid personal issues might get in his way...

That tell me he's either gotten the message loud and clear (and wants to avoid problems) or he is already making excuses.

But it's not an issue yet. Talk to me during training camp.

Blog Entries

This is the reason why Upshaw fell to the 2nd round. Even Ozzie who obviously like him was willing to lose him rather than spend 1st round money for him. A lot of guys would be pissed they just lost millions of dollars and work their ass off to prove that everyone was wrong. All Upshaw has done is prove that the critics were right.

Wait until he sees what happens to his buddy Cody on the free agent market next year. I bet he won't be out of shape in 2014 after he sees the real financial impact of that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    :word It's obviously unsettling, but I'll be more worried coming training camp.

Blog Entries

Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    :word It's obviously unsettling, but I'll be more worried coming training camp.
    Do not agree at all. When I was his age, I played for a soft ball team, and kept in tip-top shape. No money exchanged hands. Here is a man whose future is partially determined by his weight. If he cannot do it now (at 23) then when ? ... Bc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    This is a big year for Courtney Upshaw. He showed well as a run defender last year despite being in poor shape/overweight well into the season, and could have really nailed down a spot for himself in the Ravens' long-term plans if he showed up slimmer and more explosive to add some pass-rushing prowess to his repertoire. Instead, he shows up much bigger even than he was at this time last year and obviously completely out of shape. Don't forget that workout/weight/effort issues dogged Upshaw in college as well, and there is no minimizing what has now become a clear pattern of behavior. He's trending downward and needs to reverse that ASAP.

This is a year for the Ravens to sort out the future on the edges. Suggs has a cap number in 2014 that can only be justified if he bounces back in a huge way this year--which IMO is unlikely given his age and the amount of wear and tear on his body. The Ravens are clearly committed to a youth movement and Suggs doesn't fit that long-term.

Dumervil is likely going to see his whole contract, which is pretty reasonable, but that's only 1 spot locked down and he would probably do well to be spelled on at least some run downs. The spot across from him is going to be up for grabs perhaps as soon as 2014, and who locks down that spot? The team might have envisioned Upshaw as that guy, but they were smart enough to get an insurance policy with John Simon. The two are really polar opposites--Upshaw a highly talented, but unrefined and undisciplined player; Simon a workout warrior with limited natural athleticism. We'll see who's the starter and who's the backup come 2014.
    I think this could be exactly why they drafted Simon. Similar run-stopping skill set, but completely different regarding how he takes care of himself.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think this could be exactly why they drafted Simon. Similar run-stopping skill set, but completely different regarding how he takes care of himself.
    Ah wicked, look at the "P. S." of my post #6... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle

Do not agree at all. When I was his age, I played for a soft ball team, and kept in tip-top shape. No money exchanged hands. Here is a man whose future is partially determined by his weight. If he cannot do it now (at 23) then when ? ... Bc
    I'm in no means condoning him and like I said it's unsettling to see him deal with an issue that seemingly the majority of NFL players have under control. At the same I'm glad that he's at least admitting that there's an issue that needs to be resolved and he has the time to do something about it. Should he report to training camp in the same condition then it's a different story

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Ah wicked, look at the "P. S." of my post #6... Bc
    :word

Blog Entries

It took Ray Lewis a while to figure out how to take care of his body the right way too. He was the one who had such a big influence on Suggs and how Suggs was taking care of himself.

If anything, Upshaw should really consult a nutritionist because I guarantee you that most of his issues are in his diet. It isn't easy for a 23 year old to give up on those cheese burgers every other night when that's what he ha sbeen used to doing for so long. Hell, even Flacco eats McNuggets still (right Trap? :D ) and he's 28.