Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Re: I was at the game yesterday, my two cents

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    Rodgers hasn't had his knee blown out.
    Joe's had it happen twice.
    Joe hasn't been the same since he got hurt. He looks like he's even lost a step. And he didn't have one to lose.

And Rodgers has had far better pass catchers to work with. That helps significantly to overcome poor pass protection.
    Rodgers if you remember had some major ankle injuries just a few years ago which limited his mobility. Is it better receivers or a QB who makes better receivers? Joe was good at one time but believe that he is no longer able to play up to his prior level. He was never as good as Rodgers.

Quote Originally Posted by SeattleRaven View Post
    Rodgers if you remember had some major ankle injuries just a few years ago which limited his mobility. Is it better receivers or a QB who makes better receivers? Joe was good at one time but believe that he is no longer able to play up to his prior level. He was never as good as Rodgers.
    no one is as good as Rodgers.

But he does have significantly better offensive coach with a creative scheme and talented WR / HB players that fit the scheme.

Look at Alex Smith with Andy Reid. If you have stability, playmakers and creativity, you can score points. Is Alex smith all the suddent he best QB in the league? probably not, but he is playing at a elite level since Reid.

Coaching, scheme and talent make a difference. We have none on our team, Flacco cant elevate us anymore like he did

Blog Entries

Firstly, I think it's ignorant to say that 'Well, Rodgers does it', when talking about Flacco, because they are of two very different styles at QB. When Rodgers first came in, he threw on the run better than he did in the pocket. He has always been more agile and mobile. That would be like criticizing Eli Manning and saying, 'Well, Roethlisberger does it'. They are of different styles. That's not realistic at all.

Secondly, my issue with the talk of replacing Flacco is flawed, because we all know that you couldn't put another QB into the exact situations he's been put in and expect better than the results he's given. You can say that another QB won't miss those throws, but you don't know how that QB will respond to the pressure Flacco is seeing, if he'll even survive.

The only time the offense even moved Sunday, outside of two big run plays, was when the entire game thread was saying, 'How the hell did he fit that in there'. Therein lies the problem that Spider is talking about and us fWo guys have been talking about for years. That's the only time the offense even moves.

Even if you replace him, you have to completely overhaul the entire offensive structure, from the front office, to coaching staff, to scheme to talent. So, since we all know this, why are we even giving Flacco this much heat when we know ain't nobody else coming in here and making all of that work except one QB in the entire league?

There is nothing wrong with having a pocket passer. It's just foolish to not protect him. New York is finding that out right now.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Does it really matter if we draft a great QB or not? Seriously, for Baltimore, it might not matter. Unless there is a major change in management and philosophy, I don't think it matters much. Joe, at this point, is doing what a low level journeyman QB in this league is doing - not much. Trying to be a game manager. Coaches aren't being creative with their play calls. Players are not having their particular skills maximized. It's just the same old crap every drive, every game. If you are not going to ever take your Maserati out of the parking garage, then you get the same mileage with a scooter. And you save a lot of money. Money is being wasted on this team. Big money was given to Joe, but he has nothing to work with and can't hardly stay on his feet. If the Ravens can draft a QB, who has low expectations (and salary), and can surround him with o-line talent (with saved QB salary), perhaps we'll see some better results. With the current 2000 era philosophy, paying our QB big money is just throwing money down the drain. Sad, but true. I really like Joe, and I hoped he would win another ring or two for us, but that is just not in the cards.

Quote Originally Posted by JPinFL View Post
    Does it really matter if we draft a great QB or not? Seriously, for Baltimore, it might not matter. Unless there is a major change in management and philosophy, I don't think it matters much. Joe, at this point, is doing what a low level journeyman QB in this league is doing - not much. Trying to be a game manager. Coaches aren't being creative with their play calls. Players are not having their particular skills maximized. It's just the same old crap every drive, every game. If you are not going to ever take your Maserati out of the parking garage, then you get the same mileage with a scooter. And you save a lot of money. Money is being wasted on this team. Big money was given to Joe, but he has nothing to work with and can't hardly stay on his feet. If the Ravens can draft a QB, who has low expectations (and salary), and can surround him with o-line talent (with saved QB salary), perhaps we'll see some better results. With the current 2000 era philosophy, paying our QB big money is just throwing money down the drain. Sad, but true. I really like Joe, and I hoped he would win another ring or two for us, but that is just not in the cards.
    I'd have to say I agree with you completely. The QB is not playing well, but that's a combination of injuries (his and others) as well as an inept coaching staff. If they are not going to develop a QB then they should stick to hiring veterans for that position, and then spend the money and draft positions on receivers and linemen, where they are hiring veterans now.

Like a lot of people posting here lately, I'm not having any fun watching the Ozzie/Harbaugh/Flacco era of the Ravens anymore. If the decision comes to blow this team up I'll likely have more fun watching them rebuild than watching them try the same thing over and over again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Cactus View Post
    Why wait though? Why not be open to taking one in 2018? If one you like doesn't fall to you (or close enough to trade up for) you know you'll be carrying Joe anyway and you get to try again in 2019. If you wait until 2019 to start, then there will be more pressure to reach. If you do have the patience to wait for next year, you've lost a year. Seems to me you should start sooner.

I wasn't trying to imply that we take a guy early to give him time to develop. I think we should start looking at QB sooner so we can have more opportunities to land one we like. Especially given how long it took us to find one worth building around before we got to Flacco.
    I'm not opposed to taking one... just not early. If you want to go like 4th round, sure, go for it. I don't think there's more pressure to reach in 2019, because if you don't like what you see, then you just essentially tank until you get in position to get somebody you like. Sign a cheap veteran and let the chips fall where they may. Most teams end up having to do something like this anyway.

The downside to using like a day 2 or day 3 pick on a QB is that he sits for 2018, you move on from Joe, and then what do you have in 2019? You've got a day 2 QB who may or may not be able to play. The only way to really "find out", is to throw him out there, and you probably need more than a year to evaluate. Meanwhile, because you're still trying to figure out whether you have a good QB or not, you passed on others in the draft.

Or, you use a 3rd rounder in 2018 on a QB, then you use a first in 2019, and now you've got a 3rd round pick that you hope never plays.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bravens23 View Post
    Agree here. In fact, I hope our next to next QB is Aaron Rodgers 2.0.

I actually am kind of looking forward to the distinct possibility that we draft another QB with a decent pick, and he turns out to be total shit all the time. And we spend like 2-3 years before we realize he's never going to turn it around.

And then that coaching staff/GM gets fired (whoever they are at that point), and we draft a future HOF QB after like a 3-13 season.

There are times when I think the fanbase has very much earned the right to see what real garbage looks like for a few years. The kind of garbage that will make us look back on the 2016 team and say "that 2016 team would have beaten the piss out of the time we have now". That level of bad.

And the sad thing is... most of the fans that have earned that actually have already seen what that looks like... they either ignored it, forgot about it, or just don't want to remember it. Sometimes a good reminder is in order...
    I question where your loyalty lies. You sound more like a butt hurt Joe Flacco fan than an actual Ravens fan. I say that because true Ravens fans lived through the Boller/Wright/ Blake/Redman/ Grbac/et al. years and we know what garbage QB play looks like. We saw it for over a decade. Which is why it is so easy for us to recognize it right here and right now. Joe Flacco WAS a better player than the media often gave him credit for. However, he never met my expectations. I've been waiting for years to see him ascend into that top teir or two of QB's and to my disappointment he never did it, outside of that one magical run. I don't think it is unreasonable to want a true elite QB after you've watched and stuck by this team with absolute garbage at the position for nearly a decade.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bravens23 View Post
    I'm not opposed to taking one... just not early. If you want to go like 4th round, sure, go for it. I don't think there's more pressure to reach in 2019, because if you don't like what you see, then you just essentially tank until you get in position to get somebody you like. Sign a cheap veteran and let the chips fall where they may. Most teams end up having to do something like this anyway.

The downside to using like a day 2 or day 3 pick on a QB is that he sits for 2018, you move on from Joe, and then what do you have in 2019? You've got a day 2 QB who may or may not be able to play. The only way to really "find out", is to throw him out there, and you probably need more than a year to evaluate. Meanwhile, because you're still trying to figure out whether you have a good QB or not, you passed on others in the draft.

Or, you use a 3rd rounder in 2018 on a QB, then you use a first in 2019, and now you've got a 3rd round pick that you hope never plays.
    The Ravens need to go QB early. If only to make Joe feel less secure in his position on the team.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    They are very young and don't know how to win yet there's more talent on the team just wait to see the next few years. Ben gone Dalton sucks/will be gone us moving on from Joe. They are going to start winning the division

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    He's getting used to his new OC pretty well. From CincyJungle.com:

'Dalton had about as good of a day as you could ask from a quarterback. He threw four touchdowns with no interceptions while completing 25 of his 30 pass attempts (83.3%). This led to Dalton earning a 146.0 passer rating for the day. Easily, it was his best performance of the season.'
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    I question where your loyalty lies. You sound more like a butt hurt Joe Flacco fan than an actual Ravens fan. I say that because true Ravens fans lived through the Boller/Wright/ Blake/Redman/ Grbac/et al. years and we know what garbage QB play looks like. We saw it for over a decade. Which is why it is so easy for us to recognize it right here and right now. Joe Flacco WAS a better player than the media often gave him credit for. However, he never met my expectations. I've been waiting for years to see him ascend into that top teir or two of QB's and to my disappointment he never did it, outside of that one magical run. I don't think it is unreasonable to want a true elite QB after you've watched and stuck by this team with absolute garbage at the position for nearly a decade.
    Because chances are you're going to get garbage I would think a long suffering fan would get that. What makes you think your are going to get one? Mia has been looking since Marino. Bills since Jim Kelly. Tampa has never had one

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CincyCat View Post
    He's getting used to his new OC pretty well. From CincyJungle.com:

'Dalton had about as good of a day as you could ask from a quarterback. He threw four touchdowns with no interceptions while completing 25 of his 30 pass attempts (83.3%). This led to Dalton earning a 146.0 passer rating for the day. Easily, it was his best performance of the season.'
    You think he's staying once Lewis is gone?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    Because chances are you're going to get garbage I would think a long suffering fan would get that. What makes you think your are going to get one? Mia has been looking since Marino. Bills since Jim Kelly. Tampa has never had one

Because I believed that the guy we have, HAD the talent to do it.