Page 27 of 29 FirstFirst ... 2526272829 LastLast

Re: This team won't have a chance at competing if we pay Flacco big money

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Thanks Bmore, I will take a look at them, I don't watch much small school stuff.

So what do you think of TJ Yates btw?
    Well, I liked him a lot coming out of North Carolina, he didn't really excel at anything but he played well behind a pretty bad offensive line that gave up a lot of pressure. His mechanics, footwork, etc. are all very good. Average athlete, average arm strength, pretty much average everywhere but with a good head on his shoulders.

I think he could be a success in the league but most of his success last year was a product of Houston's excellent system. I think he has the ability to be about a league average starter but he'll probably be a career backup. I wouldn't trade anything for him, I'd rather just draft a new guy and develop him, I also doubt Houston would let him go for anything but a 2nd or 3rd round pick because they know Schaub is injury prone.

I do want the Ravens to move to a Kubiak/Shanahan type of WCO next year. They already have the zone-blocking scheme in place, but they need better coaches who actually understand how to run it. I think the should clean out the offensive coaching staff and get a new OC who could bring in his own guys like Karl Dorrell out of Houston or Ben McAdoo out of Green Bay. Me personally, I'm kinda done with Flacco, he doesn't have a good WCO skillset and I want the team to either let him go in favor of developing a new QB who can actually play under pressure, or franchise him and draft a guy to develop behind him for a year. But that's just me. I wouldn't want Yates to be that guy though.

The backup QB I would be most interested in right now is Matt Flynn. He showed more in his 2 starts in Green Bay and in the preseason for Seattle than Yates ever has, and I doubt he'd be expensive to trade for or sign if he's released. I also think the only reason he's a backup and not a starter is that Russell Wilson has been insanely good this year, as in best rookie QB of the year.

Blog Entries

Univ. of Tennessee QB Tyler Bray is entering the draft. He is 6'6", has a big arm, but there are questions about his accuracy and decision making. He should be available in the 3-4 round. Anyone interested in using a comp pick on him if the Ravens have one in either of those rounds?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Univ. of Tennessee QB Tyler Bray is entering the draft. He is 6'6", has a big arm, but there are questions about his accuracy and decision making. He should be available in the 3-4 round. Anyone interested in using a comp pick on him if the Ravens have one in either of those rounds?
    Yeah I posted this earlier today; he would be a good project for backup. Rough around the edges but he has some talent.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

If they are going to draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th rounds I'd much rather see them go after Aaron Murray or Zach Dyssert.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    If they are going to draft a QB in the 3rd or 4th rounds I'd much rather see them go after Aaron Murray or Zach Dyssert.
    I think they'll go much higher than Bray; especially Murray.

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    How many times do we need to get burned by strong-armed, physically impressive QBs who look great in shorts but wilt under pressure?

The Ravens' next QB should be a smart, tough, football-smart competitor. Decent arm, decent size, but doesn't need to be able to throw the ball 90 yards in the air. Totally agree with you and would take Murray or Dysert over Bray all day and all night.

The team doesn't have a good enough track record of developing QB's to go for a project guy in the rounds where they could have picked a player with more immediate impact.

wait... I haven't been following this thread closely.

Are there peopel that ACTUALLY think that Alex Smith has been better recently then Flacco? WOW. I thoguth there was only one loon ont he other board, who's been trumpeting this pioint for days with nothing but cherry picked efficiency stats and no mention of Cam/Flacco's propensity to go deep. Alex Smith is the most risk averse QB in football by a LONGSHOT. That is the ONLY reason that pathetic BUST of a QB matured into an accpetable starter in what would be Flacco's next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    The team doesn't have a good enough track record of developing QB's to go for a project guy in the rounds where they could have picked a player with more immediate impact.
    I agree with you in one sense, but that mentality is also why this team is stuck with Joe Flacco at QB and no other options. They've failed in the past to develop QBs but they also failed in the past to develop WRs, and both Smith and Doss look like they're going to pan out. You have to start trying sometime, now's the time.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    wait... I haven't been following this thread closely.

Are there peopel that ACTUALLY think that Alex Smith has been better recently then Flacco? WOW. I thoguth there was only one loon ont he other board, who's been trumpeting this pioint for days with nothing but cherry picked efficiency stats and no mention of Cam/Flacco's propensity to go deep. Alex Smith is the most risk averse QB in football by a LONGSHOT. That is the ONLY reason that pathetic BUST of a QB matured into an accpetable starter in what would be Flacco's next year.
    Yeah, Alex Smith is trash. Jim Harbaugh designed his entire system around making it impossible for Alex Smith to screw up. That's why he has so many sacks--the kid has been coached to go through no more than two reads and if the checkdown isn't there, take a sack. Alex Smith's 100+ QB rating is an incredible fraud.

Definitely don't think the Ravens should sign Smith. Flacco might wilt under pressure just as bad as Smith, but at least he can make every throw on the field, which Smith can't.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I agree with you in one sense, but that mentality is also why this team is stuck with Joe Flacco at QB and no other options. They've failed in the past to develop QBs but they also failed in the past to develop WRs, and both Smith and Doss look like they're going to pan out. You have to start trying sometime, now's the time.
    Out of the 5 years that Flacco has been year, its only been within the last few weeks that the thought of being "stuck" with him was cause for concern so I can't really blame the FO for that oversight.

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Out of the 5 years that Flacco has been year, its only been within the last few weeks that the thought of being "stuck" with him was cause for concern so I can't really blame the FO for that oversight.
    It's not so much that they're "stuck" with him, poor choice of words on my part, but rather that they have absolutely no credible backup on the roster and that's bad for a NUMBER of reasons. In 2009 Flacco got hurt against Minnesota and they wanted to let him sit and rest, but they didn't think Troy Smith could play at all. In 2010 the Ravens were going to bench Flacco for Marc Bulger at halftime of the Atlanta game due to performance, but they didn't think Flacco could handle that mentally so they let him return and he proceeded to carve Atlanta up (should have won that game). The threat of benching might have motivated him to get out there and try a little harder. Obviously now they're at the end of his contract and all they have is Tyrod Taylor, so they have no negotiating leverage.

Having at least an NFL-caliber backup (which Tyrod is not) would give them a lot more flexibility to do things. Philadelphia, New England, and Green Bay have all drafted guys they've developed that they were either able to turn into good trade bait (Kolb, Cassel, Flynn) or actual starting prospects when their regular QB went down or was ineffective (Foles). We just never went down that road.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Matt Ryan has it easy down in Atlanta, he's got a QB paradise. I'm not sure if there is any QB that has it better than him. Two amazing athletes to throw to, a HOF TE, a very good group of backs, solid Oline, a solid defense, and a nice warm dome to play in. On top of all that, the defenses in his division are about as soft as you can get.

But hey, Matt Ryan will never win a SB, and Flacco will never become elite, you know why? The world is gonna end soon, supposedly lol.

Youre right on again especially about the world-lol.

Hey - Atlanta fans are pissed off at Ryan more than Flacco fans up here because he keeps losing in the POs.

That dome might be a curse. The Dolts only won 1 SB with that dome. Even Jimmy expected to win a couple more.