Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: 2023 Annual Forking

Quote Originally Posted by StalkRavenMad View Post
    You're assuming the Ravens are leaking this.
    Yes I am. I think the Ravens are trying to cover their ass in case Lamar doesn't stay. They're going to keep leaking things to make him look like he's unreasonable and the bad guy. If he had an agent then they would be leaking other things to counteract this and promote Lamar. We're going to keep getting 1 side of the story from these leaks with Lamar eventually going to social media with cryptic posts that won't help.

Calais Campbell - I think he will retire

Marcus Peters - He did not look good at all last year. I think we'll be going CB early in the draft to replace him

Ben Powers - As EDC eluded to in the end of season presser, I think he played himself into a pay day from someone else in FA

Gus Edwards - I think he stays. He's the only RB under contract aside from Dobbins in 2023. He still has the best chemistry with Lamar with the mesh on read option plays which I think there will still be an element of with the new OC. I think we'd rather keep him instead of saving $4.5m in cap to then have to back fill another hole with our limited draft picks.

Michael Pierce - He'll be here again. He's still very effective when healthy. Too much upside to bother with creating another hole for a lousy $2m in savings.

Kevin Zeitler - Unless he retires, he'll be back.

Devin Duvernay - I don't understand the discussion with cutting Duvernay. He's a great returner and solid option at WR where we're incredibly thin.

3. Re: 2023 Annual Forking

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaRaven View Post

Marcus Peters - He did not look good at all last year. I think we'll be going CB early in the draft to replace him

Ben Powers - As EDC eluded to in the end of season presser, I think he played himself into a pay day from someone else in FA

Gus Edwards - I think he stays. He's the only RB under contract aside from Dobbins in 2023. He still has the best chemistry with Lamar with the mesh on read option plays which I think there will still be an element of with the new OC. I think we'd rather keep him instead of saving $4.5m in cap to then have to back fill another hole with our limited draft picks.

Michael Pierce - He'll be here again. He's still very effective when healthy. Too much upside to bother with creating another hole for a lousy $2m in savings.

Devin Duvernay - I don't understand the discussion with cutting Duvernay. He's a great returner and solid option at WR where we're incredibly thin.
    Agree with most of this with 2 caveats:

1) I could see Calais back for "one last ride" depending upon what we do on the other side of the ball; this D is good enough to win a championship and that's a strong motivator

2) Peters playing worse than his reputation may play to our favor. Any club signing him is "buying low" and hoping for a bounce-back year as he gets further removed from injury. A one-year "Jimmy Smith Special" could be best for both parties.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

The Duvernay discussion is all about money. He made the Pro Bowl as a Restricted Free Agent which means his tender is $4.3 million. That's a lot for a returner/3rd or 4th WR. That's the issue. It's not that people don't like him. It's about looking at where the Ravens can save money because of the tag for a QB. There just aren't a ton of places.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The Duvernay discussion is all about money. He made the Pro Bowl as a Restricted Free Agent which means his tender is $4.3 million. That's a lot for a returner/3rd or 4th WR. That's the issue. It's not that people don't like him. It's about looking at where the Ravens can save money because of the tag for a QB. There just aren't a ton of places.
    How is Duvernay a restricted free agent? He is on year 4 of a 4 year deal. Are you thinking of Tyler Huntley?

I get it. But WRs salaries are inflated now. That $4.3m isn't going to get you a better option than what we already have in him.

That kind of money gets you Josh Reynolds, Tre'quan Smith, or Jakeem Grant. Not very appealing to me.

Quote Originally Posted by GeezyRider View Post
    I'd hate to see Gus go. He's my favorite Raven--doesn't make an ass of himself in the press or on social media and always plays hard.
    Also has the perfect running style to fit an rpo offense, quick one cut runs that put even more pressure on the targeted linebacker. I could see him being an undervalued market guy and come back to ravens.

Blog Entries

I get it. But WRs salaries are inflated now. That $4.3m isn't going to get you a better option than what we already have in him.

That kind of money gets you Josh Reynolds, Tre'quan Smith, or Jakeem Grant. Not very appealing to me.
    That kind of money gets you 1 step closer towards paying Lamar on the tag. It's not about replacing Duvernay with a better player. It's about replacing Duvernay with a cheaper player

Quote Originally Posted by Shrubbs View Post
    How is Duvernay a restricted free agent? He is on year 4 of a 4 year deal. Are you thinking of Tyler Huntley?
    Yeah from what I'm seeing on Google Duvernay isn't a RFA, he's under contract and wouldn't be tendered

That kind of money gets you 1 step closer towards paying Lamar on the tag. It's not about replacing Duvernay with a better player. It's about replacing Duvernay with a cheaper player
    And this is why our offense is in the state it's in. You'd rather pay an inferior player $3m instead of Duvernay $4m. And this is somehow going to make up the difference in paying Lamar the franchise tag....something we can already afford.

Heading into FA with Bateman, Wallace, and Proche is pretty much taking an existing problem and making it even worse. You can't just cut Duvernay and act like you saved $4.5m when you aren't really factoring in the cost to ADEQUATELY replace him.

Blog Entries

And this is why our offense is in the state it's in. You'd rather pay an inferior player $3m instead of Duvernay $4m. And this is somehow going to make up the difference in paying Lamar the franchise tag....something we can already afford.

Heading into FA with Bateman, Wallace, and Proche is pretty much taking an existing problem and making it even worse. You can't just cut Duvernay and act like you saved $4.5m when you aren't really factoring in the cost to ADEQUATELY replace him.

First of all it's not what I'd rather do. It's what I think will happen. I'd rather keep Duvernay and Powers the same way many of us wanted to keep Matt Judon and Ryan Jenson. The issue is coming up with tag space. We often hear that having a starting QB on rookie contract is like a cheat code against the cap. Well that's over. Now they have to find space in other places and hope all that money they pay Lamar is worth it.

The replacement will be a draft pick. Quintin Johnston or Jordan Addison or Jaxon Smith-Njigba or some other other 1st or early 2nd round pick. If they do sign a free agent it will be someone with more of a proven history of being a real receiver. Jarvis Landry is the guy I would expect and that wouldn't be right away. That would be a post-draft Justin Houston type signing where it doesn't impact future comp picks and he'd be desperate and cheaper. This is what happens when you have to tag a QB

Im gonna say the offense is in the state its In because people are worried about losing players like Duvernay. Its really not a big deal to lose JAG, there will be plenty of JAG’s to replace him if necessary. How about the ravens get some impact players on offense to worry about losing