Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: An out of the box trade

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I don't see it as helping the Ravens. Counting on a guy who is presently hurt - and who has been hurt more than he's been healthy through his career so far - and a guy who has shown every year he isn't capable of staying on the field to be their #2/#3 receivers seems foolish to me. In perfect world, that is a good trio of receivers. But it's way too big of an "if" when you are talking about Perriman and Campanero staying healthy.
    Also - why trade away a player we control for two years for a one season loaner; I don't get the sense the Ravens think they're in a "win now" mode. I've been saying this for a while, the Ravens might be thinking two year leash for Harbaugh and Ozzie. This season was about getting a defense that will be sustained for 3-4 years, and next year they'll figure out the Offense.

It makes the resigning of Williams, investment in the secondary, and considerable draft capital spent on defense make sense (at least to me)...

Quote Originally Posted by bmoreravenous View Post
    Also - why trade away a player we control for two years for a one season loaner; I don't get the sense the Ravens think they're in a "win now" mode. I've been saying this for a while, the Ravens might be thinking two year leash for Harbaugh and Ozzie. This season was about getting a defense that will be sustained for 3-4 years, and next year they'll figure out the Offense.

It makes the resigning of Williams, investment in the secondary, and considerable draft capital spent on defense make sense (at least to me)...
    The problem with that is that in all of Ozzie's tenure he's never really built a sustainable, high skilled offense. Add in the fact that his best attempts were building a solid OL and have a good running game and how that just doesn't match up with the current NFL.

We need to be built to run and throw. I'm fine with being built the way we were in 2012 on offense, but we're not even close to that.

If they go out and spend all their FA money and draft nothing but offense I'll agree with you, but I can't help but feel that's not the plan.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Lol you really think after 20 years Ozzie is just going to magically figure out how to build an offense? We won't see a real NFL offense until Ozzie and John are gone. It should happen after this season if they fail to win a playoff game. Now they have the injuries as an excuse (which is funny since the only two starters that are injured is a lg and scb this shouldn't be an excuse)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    The problem with that is that in all of Ozzie's tenure he's never really built a sustainable, high skilled offense. Add in the fact that his best attempts were building a solid OL and have a good running game and how that just doesn't match up with the current NFL.

We need to be built to run and throw. I'm fine with being built the way we were in 2012 on offense, but we're not even close to that.

If they go out and spend all their FA money and draft nothing but offense I'll agree with you, but I can't help but feel that's not the plan.
    I feel the exact same way

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    I feel the exact same way

Only encouraging thing is we don't have to retain too much on defense next year.

The big ones will be Mosely and Urban (if he has a huge year).

I think you keep Mosely 100%, but I'd like Urban go if we see something from Wormley/Kaufasi this year.

Other than that we return most of our players. Only position I'd really draft at is ILB in the mid-rounds. First 3 rounds should be nothing but WR, OL and RB.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Goode05 View Post
    Lol you really think after 20 years Ozzie is just going to magically figure out how to build an offense? We won't see a real NFL offense until Ozzie and John are gone. It should happen after this season if they fail to win a playoff game. Now they have the injuries as an excuse (which is funny since the only two starters that are injured is a lg and scb this shouldn't be an excuse)

I think they're going to try - which is all I can ask. It's going to take more than getting rid of JH and Ozzie to get there, and I don't think Steve is going to clean house.

It never works - never will.

I think they're going to try - which is all I can ask. It's going to take more than getting rid of JH and Ozzie to get there, and I don't think Steve is going to clean house.

It never works - never will.
    I hope you're right.

2015 was shocking to me, so it's hard to say it hasn't happened (high investments in the O), but right now it is the outlier.

If it becomes consistent in the next two offseasons I agree this defense is built to be strong for the next 3-4 years.

However, one of the fundamental problems is the OC and the DC. I personally like Harbs, but if he won't can them I'd like to see them clear out the coaching staff.

I also like Ozzie too much to be on board with firing him. If this draft class turns out as good as it looks (note - it's preseason so what do we really know) then that's two pretty solid draft classes in a row and amkes 2010-2015 look like a bad streak and not him losing touch with his abilities.
    - Ray Lewis

You have to deal from a position of depth. Our receiving corps just isn't that deep, especially considering the injury issues.

Value-for-value, I like the Wallace for Incognito idea. But the reality is you're just trading one gaping hole for another. If we trade from anywhere, we should be trading from the defensive front. We can't keep all of those guys. Of course, any trade is just going to be depth-for-depth. Nothing is going to net us a quality OL starter.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Only encouraging thing is we don't have to retain too much on defense next year.

The big ones will be Mosely and Urban (if he has a huge year).

I think you keep Mosely 100%, but I'd like Urban go if we see something from Wormley/Kaufasi this year.

Other than that we return most of our players. Only position I'd really draft at is ILB in the mid-rounds. First 3 rounds should be nothing but WR, OL and RB.
    I think you may see Bowser in the ILB rotation. He apparently has great coverage skills and has shown he can cover a lot of real estate with his speed and tackling ability. I think of all our 2017 draft picks so far, he's the one that intrigues me most. Tim Williams seems like a pure edge rusher where Bowser seems more like a hybrid type that can move inside or outside.

It's a good problem to have with all this talent up front!

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    You have to deal from a position of depth. Our receiving corps just isn't that deep, especially considering the injury issues.

Value-for-value, I like the Wallace for Incognito idea. But the reality is you're just trading one gaping hole for another. If we trade from anywhere, we should be trading from the defensive front. We can't keep all of those guys. Of course, any trade is just going to be depth-for-depth. Nothing is going to net us a quality OL starter.
    Plus, you don't want to deal a young guy on year 1-2 of a rookie deal, so that basically leaves Urban/Z Smith as two guys that we might move.

In all honesty, I don't see us making a trade prior to the season. Ozzie/DeCosta aren't quick to move players in a panic, and will only mortgage the future if it's 100% necessary. The other thing we don't know is who is going to be IR activated - Lewis "may" come November which is almost 4 months post surgery.

Blog Entries

i want nothing to do with Incognito. Team chemistry is more important than skill in a lot of ways and frankly we can find similar talent without the headaches, and without losing a key player.

wait for the cuts folks. were not done adding to the OL, but were going to have to wait and see what shakes loose. likely a player that didnt meet expectations which may need a change of scenery or a vet at the end of his career. Might not be a great plan of attack to have the best team possible week 1, but this isnt a sprint, its a marathon and adding a solid vet late will make us a better team a few weeks in than getting rid of a player at another position.

only trade I see happening is DL for OL or RB, and even then I doubt it happens.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 08-22-2017 at 09:19 AM.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    I think you may see Bowser in the ILB rotation. He apparently has great coverage skills and has shown he can cover a lot of real estate with his speed and tackling ability. I think of all our 2017 draft picks so far, he's the one that intrigues me most. Tim Williams seems like a pure edge rusher where Bowser seems more like a hybrid type that can move inside or outside.

It's a good problem to have with all this talent up front!
    I honestly hope we just keep him outside - his coverage skills are so rare for a first year OLB, that I'd hate to Blunt the development.

You're not wrong - I'm excited about him and he looks like the real deal. Just hope we don't mess around with him.