Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Ravens Record Under Harbuagh Given X Days of Rest

Working to answer a question (do NFL teams benefit from getting an extra day of rest before MNF or suffer from losing a day of rest after MNF). Not there yet, but I do have some information on the Ravens.

Since 2008 (when Harbaugh took over), the Ravens have played 192 games (regular season and playoffs, 2019 currently excluded). They've won 114 of those (0.594), but to me, the real story is their performance when they get extra rest:
    • 1-0 with 15 days off (defeated the Saints on MNF after the Ravens' bye in 2014)
    • 10-2 after a normal bye (includes divisional round against Texans and SB against SF)
    • 7-3 after playing on TNF

Add it all up and you get a combined record of 18-5 (0.783)! The Ravens are also 8-3 in season openers and 7-2 on TNF (helped by mostly playing those games at home). In all other games (6 to 8 days rest), the Ravens are a combined 81-68 (0.544).

I should have numbers for the rest of the teams shortly to compare, but I can't imagine many teams are going to win ~80% of their games when they have extra time to prepare!

DaysBetweenGames Games Wins Losses
    0 (season openers)
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Re: Ravens Record Under Harbuagh Given X Days of Rest

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    Working to answer a question (do NFL teams benefit from getting an extra day of rest before MNF or suffer from losing a day of rest after MNF). Not there yet, but I do have some information on the Ravens.

Since 2008 (when Harbaugh took over), the Ravens have played 192 games (regular season and playoffs, 2019 currently excluded). They've won 114 of those (0.594), but to me, the real story is their performance when they get extra rest:
    • 1-0 with 15 days off (defeated the Saints on MNF after the Ravens' bye in 2014)
    • 10-2 after a normal bye (includes divisional round against Texans and SB against SF)
    • 7-3 after playing on TNF

Add it all up and you get a combined record of 18-5 (0.783)! The Ravens are also 8-3 in season openers and 7-2 on TNF (helped by mostly playing those games at home). In all other games (6 to 8 days rest), the Ravens are a combined 81-68 (0.544).

I should have numbers for the rest of the teams shortly to compare, but I can't imagine many teams are going to win ~80% of their games when they have extra time to prepare!

DaysBetweenGames Games Wins Losses
    0 (season openers)
    To sum all of that up, Harbaugh has enjoyed a lot of success.

I'm surprised at how mediocre the record is on seven days of rest, the normal amount. Clearly, though, his teams have been money on abnormal rest periods.

Quote Originally Posted by Meanie Bigjae View Post
    lol...

Can't judge accurately without taking into account our opponents.

I remember one of those TNF games being the browns where even perriman scored.

Blog Entries

Might be interesting to bang the W-L record against how many time zones away from home the visiting team is playing (& maybe factoring in night games or home games flexed to 4/4:30). Not axing ya too...
    ...If yinz ain't vaxxed & boosted by now, ain't nuffin' I say gonna change yer mind. Just don't drop dead on my lawn.

Слава Україні! героям слава!

Damn OC. How bad do we want that bye week now?

And btw... should we make it, we get a week off before the Super Bowl too.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Damn OC. How bad do we want that bye week now?

And btw... should we make it, we get a week off before the Super Bowl too.
    They're making it.

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post

TNF home vs away is a huge factor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    "Chin up, chest out."

10. Re: Ravens Record Under Harbuagh Given X Days of Rest

Quote Originally Posted by Meanie Bigjae View Post
    I thought that went without saying. 1 losing season out of 12, 2 others at .500.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    Might be interesting to bang the W-L record against how many time zones away from home the visiting team is playing (& maybe factoring in night games or home games flexed to 4/4:30). Not axing ya too...
    Time zone is interesting, but not the first direction I'm going (if only because it's harder to do). Working to compare rest now:

Net Days of Rest Games WinPer Games_Ravens WinPer_Ravens
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

11. Re: Ravens Record Under Harbuagh Given X Days of Rest

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post

Account away: https://pastebin.com/UGKkSdsZ

Quality of opponent IMO is moot because both in the "rested" statistic and the "normal week" statistic, there's enough data that you're going to see a pretty diverse set of opponents each. In both we play some good, some bad, some average. So it's essentially a wash.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."