Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pernell McPhee

Pernell McPhee

He got injured early in the Seattle game, but before that he was averaging 0.5 sacks a game (which projects to 8 sacks a season). The thing I'm thinking is that he got 3 sacks during the span when our secondary and linebackers were at their worst. Given that, I think it is likely he could've finished the season with 8 sacks, or maybe even more.

The reason I bring this up is that I see all this talk about Matt Judon and getting free agents. I'm not saying McPhee would be the team's leading pass rusher, but 8 sacks from a guy on a $1M deal is a HUGE value. Anyway, it just seems like people forgot about him. He had a triceps injury, so there's not the same risk of having a down season next year like you get with ACLs and such. he's an unrestricted free agent now, but I really think he belongs in the conversation when discussing what the Ravens should do.

Re: Pernell McPhee

Absolutely agree, and he is the kind of veteran guy you want to have around, even more so if Judon is gone.

I definitely would like to see him back. But he was used too heavily; he needs a much lighter snap rotation. Hopefully Ferg's development will facilitate that.

Also, you can't count on him. This injury was a freak thing, but he just always seems to have something going on. Just like this year: sign him, hope for 16 games, but have a backup plan ready.
    "Chin up, chest out."

I'd like him back as well for the vet min
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

If he can get back healthy; I’m all for him coming back. He gives good production for the cost.

Get him back at 1M again and absolutely.

I do think he played too much, but a lot of that was because Ferguson was easing into reps / Tim Williams sucked ass.

I think if he came back now they could manage his workload a bit more. I think Ferguson could really learn a lot from McPhee.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

It all comes down to the contract. If you are able to get McPhee at a price that takes his health into consideration then he makes sense. This is perfect guy to sign to an incentive based contract.

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    Get him back at 1M again and absolutely.

I do think he played too much, but a lot of that was because Ferguson was easing into reps / Tim Williams sucked ass.

I think if he came back now they could manage his workload a bit more. I think Ferguson could really learn a lot from McPhee.
    yeah, he played almost 70% of the snaps in his five complete games, which is WAY over his career average. looks like that's what happened in his first season in chicago. he was in on 80% of snaps in the first half of his first season there, got banged up, and was limited the rest of his time there. need placed him on the field too much for us this year, but hopefully he can give us some production in a much more limited role next year. anyway, i doubt there's a better option out there for that kind of money. not to mention, he'd be the veteran edge rusher even if judon stays, and presumably when we draft an early-round pass rusher we'll need that leadership to help develop the next great Raven defender.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It all comes down to the contract. If you are able to get McPhee at a price that takes his health into consideration then he makes sense. This is perfect guy to sign to an incentive based contract.
    Exactly the way I feel about Jimmy.

Sent from my SM-J337P using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bawlamer View Post
    Exactly the way I feel about Jimmy.

Sent from my SM-J337P using Tapatalk
    Jimmy is different. I think he is going to get alot more elsewhere. I would only want him on the cheap he would be backup to marlon and peters on outside. Would pretty much specialize on covering tightends in the slot. Kinda take over Carr's role. I think Jimmy may go back west to maybe the 49ers or Seattle

I agree with the general consensus here -- would like to bring him back on a cheap deal and play him much less than we did this year.

What about Ward too? I think there may be some interest in him in FA since he'll only be 26 when the season starts, but he is a good edge setter and versatile guy who Harbs made a point of saying that he likes. I think these guys could help cushion the potential Judon departure as Ferguson (and hopefully a rookie or two) develop.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I'd like him back as well for the vet min
    I agree, vet minimum and snap minimum... Bc