Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Could Ozzie Join Another Team?

This is an interesting article from the Ravens website. The tweet is from Daniel Jeremiah who worked for Ozzie and still gushes about him all the time

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...6-fc45eae480b4

Could Another Team Lure Ozzie Newsome Away From Ravens?

As Eric DeCosta prepares to become the next Ozzie Newsome, there’s a chance that Newsome becomes the next DeCosta.

What I mean by that is there will always be NFL owners desperately searching for front-office executives capable of reversing their franchises’ fortunes, and it wouldn’t be surprising if they turn their attention from DeCosta and to Newsome after this season.

It became an annual tradition for NFL teams to call the Ravens and seek permission to interview DeCosta for their general manager openings. After it happened the first few times, it didn’t cause many in Baltimore to stress out because DeCosta was clearly intent on sticking around. It was widely known that he was the GM-in-waiting, and he patiently waited his turn.

Well, once Newsome steps down from the GM role after this season, would it at all be surprising if the Ravens’ phones start ringing again, this time asking for permission to speak to Newsome about job opportunities?

Former Ravens scout and NFL analyst Daniel Jeremiah already sees the Carolina Panthers, a franchise that will come under new ownership this offseason, as a team who could call the Ravens to see if Newsome might be interested in a promotion.

Daniel Jeremiah

@MoveTheSticks
    I don't know the contract situation, or if he'd be interested, but I'd call the Ravens & ask permission to speak to Ozzie Newsome about becoming the president of the team. Blank check.

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet
    The sale of the #Panthers from owner Jerry Richardson to hedge fund manager David Tepper is moving along as all sides have hoped. Sources say it may be done today. Timing aside, it’s expected to happen, which means there would be a vote in Atlanta for the May NFL meeting.

10:10 AM - May 15, 2018
    62 people are talking about this
    Twitter Ads info and privacy
    Blank check to become a team president?

That’d be mighty tempting … at least to most people, but Newsome isn’t most people.

Jeremiah makes two important points. We don’t know what Newsome’s contract situation is/will be once he steps down. We also don’t know how interested he would be in starting over with a new team at age 63, even if it is for more money and a better title.

We do know that he currently plans on returning to the Ravens in a support role … with the details to be determined.

“[My role will be] very similar to what [DeCosta has] done for me. I’ll be there,” Newsome said at the NFL Scouting Combine. “The offline conversations that we have now, we’ll continue to have. I’ll be a resource for him, a resource for Steve [Bisciotti] and a resource for [Head

Re: Could Ozzie Join Another Team?

I could only see Ozzie joining the Browns. Not as GM, but some other role.
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    I could only see Ozzie joining the Browns. Not as GM, but some other role.
    Not with that owner ......

Like everything else in life depends on the money.

Blog Entries

"Jeremiah makes two important points. We don’t know what Newsome’s contract situation is/will be once he steps down. We also don’t know how interested he would be in starting over with a new team at age 63, even if it is for more money and a better title."

LOL, @ age 63 Ozzie (was 62 in March) is not a decrepit, feeble, broken-down old man. Tom Coughlin will be 72 in August and is the current executive vice president of football operations for the Jacksonville Jaguars. I don't know what's in Ozzie's mind (retire or remain active?), but if he wants another job (be it in the NFL or college football) he is more than qualified to get one... Bc

I suppose anything is possible, I guess it all depends on what capacity Ozzie remains with the organization. What's being kind of glossed over is Jeremiah's point about the Panthers hypothetical interest in Ozzie as the team President. That's the Dick Cass role, which is far different than the GM role. I'm sure Ozzie would do very well in that role if he so chose, I'm just not sure if he'd want to work the business side of things more than the football side. And I can't really see him leaving for another GM job. If he didn't want to leave the GM role, I'm sure he'd just tell Steve that he wanted to stay on, and Decosta would have to make a career decision and decide if he wanted to throw his name in the hat for a GM job elsewhere.

I could see Ozzie leaving to be AD at 'bama if that job became available.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

Wouldn’t surprise me at all. I too think Bama if not an NFL team

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    "Jeremiah makes two important points. We don’t know what Newsome’s contract situation is/will be once he steps down. We also don’t know how interested he would be in starting over with a new team at age 63, even if it is for more money and a better title."

LOL, @ age 63 Ozzie (was 62 in March) is not a decrepit, feeble, broken-down old man. Tom Coughlin will be 72 in August and is the current executive vice president of football operations for the Jacksonville Jaguars. I don't know what's in Ozzie's mind (retire or remain active?), but if he wants another job (be it in the NFL or college football) he is more than qualified to get one... Bc
    Coughlin was a tremendous hire by the Jaguars. He gave that team direction and a stability that hadn't been seen since he left.

If I just bought the Panthers I could absolutely see the attraction of bringing Ozzie in.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Coughlin was a tremendous hire by the Jaguars. He gave that team direction and a stability that hadn't been seen since he left.

If I just bought the Panthers I could absolutely see the attraction of bringing Ozzie in.
    If I was in his shoes, and was offered an executive position by the Panthers new ownership, I might very well be tempted to accept. Not that Ozzie needs anything else to cement his NFL legacy, but he's actually young enough to try to help another team get to a Super Bowl championship. Wouldn't that be nice on his resume' when he enters the pearly gates many years from now? ... Bc

I think it will come down to how big an itch and how much does he want to scratch after he settles into his new role. It will be brand new territory for him.
    Captain Offense

Quote Originally Posted by stevez51 View Post
    Not with that owner ......
    Yeah, I think Ozzie has too much self-respect to join the Browns in their current state. At least I hope he does.
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Blog Entries

God, to think of the money and perks that would be thrown in his direction.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore