Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: Speaking of Head Cases...

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    For my two cents -

Bell can either use a approved helmet or play without one. His head, his choice! Unapproved helmets are off the table.
    Wrong "B".
    "This space for rent" - Roger Goodell

Quote Originally Posted by moose10101 View Post
    Wrong "B".
    There is no wrong B when it comes to AB or LB - both heads are bad, just in different ways.
    Last edited by mmi16; 08-13-2019 at 11:17 PM.

Blog Entries

Speaking of Head Cases...

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Looks like he found at least one made in 2010 so he should be ok for at least this one season.

Our long national nightmare is over!
    Thank Gawd!

I wanna see this cat play

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Heard he's being sued by a private chef for an unpaid $40k bill on the radio this morning

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    With all the lawsuits and potential legal action there is no way they can grandfather a piece of safety equipment. The NFL spent $60 million to study helmet technology. They had a deal with the NFLPA to get rid of anything that didn't meet these new standards by this year. If they now allow players to violate these safety standards for any reason they open the doors up to legal action that the would have a difficult time defending. Brown is either going to have to find a new helmet from the approved list he likes or quit the NFL.
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    2. Antonio Brown is a grown man and has played this game for a long time. If he wants to risk his well-being by wearing a helmet that is old and potentially unsafe, then that's his prerogative. The NFL should protect themselves though and make him sign some sort of legally binding agreement that any long term/short term related head injuries are on him.
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Definitely. It's a slippery slope when you start letting players dictate the equipment they can or cannot wear.

Remember when WR's weren't wearing pads in their pants because it slowed them down?
    The NFL has spent a ton of money between the concussion lawsuit, the negative pr impact of concussions, the negative pr impact of the safety rule changes, and the helmet studies. I can't see them making any concessions at all now.

And I think even a legally binding agreement or waiver to wear the old helmet is still probably impossible. The commissioner is a lawyer and the NFL has a ton of lawyers. I think they know that Brown would still come back later and say his head injuries happened before signing that waiver. And they would take another PR hit trying to fight that, plus probably lose the case anyway if it was a jury trial.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    SMH gently because I'm not wearing a helmet... Bc
    BC you have posted a lot of funny stuff in your 8 years and 24k+ posts. But this one might be the best.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BPF2 View Post
    The NFL has spent a ton of money between the concussion lawsuit, the negative pr impact of concussions, the negative pr impact of the safety rule changes, and the helmet studies. I can't see them making any concessions at all now.

And I think even a legally binding agreement or waiver to wear the old helmet is still probably impossible. The commissioner is a lawyer and the NFL has a ton of lawyers. I think they know that Brown would still come back later and say his head injuries happened before signing that waiver. And they would take another PR hit trying to fight that, plus probably lose the case anyway if it was a jury trial.
    The banning of his helmet had nothing to do with safety

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    The banning of his helmet had nothing to do with safety
    Of course it did. From the article you posted in the beginning of the thread:

The NFL started the process of banning helmets just before the start of the 2018 season. As a matter of safety, the NFL started legislating which helmets could be worn on the field.
    The rankings are based exclusively on the ability of the helmet to reduce head impact severity measures in laboratory testing. The league even notes that "issues with helmet fit" are not addressed in their rankings.
    Basically, the receiver's helmet model hasn't necessarily been banned due to a safety issue, it's been banned because it's too old. Every NFL helmet must be certified as safe, and the company that certifies helmets won't approve any model that's more than 10 years old, which is the case in Brown's situation. "

I ass-u-me you're basing your statement on the italicized portion? I think that's a rather poor way for the author to parse it. It's not being banned necessarily because of safety. It's because it's too old and the company won't certify it as safe. What's the difference? They have a guideline on safety and 10 years is one of their guidelines.

The other thing I haven't seen mentioned, but I again ass-u-me is that he's referring only to the model of helmet, not that he's had the same individual helmet his whole career?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    Heard he's being sued by a private chef for an unpaid $40k bill on the radio this morning
    Ort, that's a lotta lasagna. Perhaps he was dining with my sister-in-law and foolishly said, "I've got the check!" ... Bc

BC you have posted a lot of funny stuff in your 8 years and 24k+ posts. But this one might be the best.
    Well thank you very much, BPF. I do try to lighten the mood which does turn to the dark-side at times... Bc

The helmet studies are nonsense. There’s no such thing as a safe helmet. The NFL is just trying to win the publicity war.

I feel bad for the guy. I think he's off or something mentally is going on. I hope he gets back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    The helmet studies are nonsense. There’s no such thing as a safe helmet. The NFL is just trying to win the publicity war.
    Helmets protect the skull not the brain. So apart of me agrees with your statement. But also hope that something does happen that these brain injuries can be fixed. If that’s possible ever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk