Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Courtney Upshaw's weight issues

Didn't Ray hire a chef to make sure he kept eating healthy? Cody, Upshaw & anyone else who's dogged by weight issues ought to take the hint & pitch in as a group to hire one who can make them healthy but tasty suppers at least a few nights a week during TC & the season. It'd probably extend all their careers as well as improving their play. (They wouldn't have to room together, just eat together.)

It's concerning...I don't see how anybody can't see it that way. It doesn't mean he'll be fat when the season starts, but to show up 2 years in a row significantly out of shape is the start of a really bad precedent...McKinnie gets absolutely crushed when he does it.

He needs to watch what he eats...I remember seeing a bunch of junk food and unhealthy stuff on his twitter timeline last year. Hopefully he gets it together and realizes the importance of diets before it's too late.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

The issue is not the extra weight but the fact that he is not working out. The off season is the time to build up your strength. In season you end up losing weight and struggle to keep muscle on because the demands on your body are so high. He will the weight it will be a drag on his performance similar to Suggs the year after he signed his contract.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I'll take the other side from you and wicked here :
    Upshaw was 23 in December 2012. So, what is the "age of consent" for a drivers license, going into military service, marriage license, drinking alcohol, voting, etc? You may be right about maturity, but I'll bet he cashed his paychecks on time... Bc
    Rolando McClain is out of the NFL at 23. This is a job that thousands would be willing to take. You don't always have time to grow into it.

The point you make is dead on

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    It's concerning...I don't see how anybody can't see it that way. It doesn't mean he'll be fat when the season starts, but to show up 2 years in a row significantly out of shape is the start of a really bad precedent...McKinnie gets absolutely crushed when he does it.

He needs to watch what he eats...I remember seeing a bunch of junk food and unhealthy stuff on his twitter timeline last year. Hopefully he gets it together and realizes the importance of diets before it's too late.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    2 years in a row???? Has Training camp started yet?

Quote Originally Posted by RavensQB View Post
    2 years in a row???? Has Training camp started yet?
    Let McKinnie have showed up to OTA's fat and out of shape...

Nobody is saying he is a bust or wont contribute. But it is concerning.

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk 2
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

That 12 pounds number seems very generous. He doesn't just look bigger, he looks FAT.

But I'm nearly positive that Suggs has played at or near 300 pounds before, after he got it under control he was DPOTY the following year. Hopefully it's a non-issue and Upshaw is back down to 270-ish come training camp, but like I mentioned in the other thread and others have as well, I think he would be better served getting to 260-265.

He was overweight in camp last year. This year, to the eyeball test, he's puffier and last year they said he was 285 when camp started. I have to question his desire to be the best he can or if good enough is good enough.
    Follow me on Twitter @RSRLombardi

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    The issue is not the extra weight but the fact that he is not working out. The off season is the time to build up your strength. In season you end up losing weight and struggle to keep muscle on because the demands on your body are so high. He will the weight it will be a drag on his performance similar to Suggs the year after he signed his contract.
    How do we know he wasnt working out? Did he say that? (serious question...I don't know)

You can work out all you want, but if you arent doing the right things it won't mean much.

Again, I agree with you in part, but there are a lot of things that could have played into this (stress eating, working out incorrectly, poor nutrition, etc).

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Last edited by wickedsolo; 06-03-2013 at 05:04 PM.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Given that the SB went into February, I can't bash the guy too much for taking a break from the diet and exercise regimen. Go home, eat some of mammas home cooking and stretch out. He earned it with that forced fumble in the SB.

Now it's time to get your ass back to work, we don't accept complacency around here

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Given that the SB went into February, I can't bash the guy too much for taking a break from the diet and exercise regimen. Go home, eat some of mammas home cooking and stretch out. He earned it with that forced fumble in the SB.

Now it's time to get your ass back to work, we don't accept complacency around here
    I'll wait for the season to pass judgment. Professional guy in his 2nd year who has a ring already and yea he worked for it. He has time,12 pounds to an athlete can be a combination of eating, drinking or PMS(LOL). Once he starts training camp, Raven staff will address this issue. I see good things from him, the Ravens team now has a lot of new faces who can make Raven history again by being atop 10 defense for years to come. The gloom and doom stuff should only come from the media, fans need to be patient and wait for preseason to make judgments accordingly.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Rolando McClain is out of the NFL at 23. This is a job that thousands would be willing to take. You don't always have time to grow into it.

The point you make is dead on
    The Ravens are not hasty whatsoever in their personnel decisions.

If they were, Kindle would have been gone before the end of year 1. Same with Dan Cody and a slew of others. The Ravens understand that a lot of these players are just kids and the adjustment from college to the pro's is quick and relentless. As fans, we want to see every player (even the UDFAs) turn into all-pros immediately and we're quick to grab the torches and pitchforks when they don't. I agree that the weight issue is a problem and I was one of the ONLY people on this forum last year who wasn't ecstatic about Upshaw. Frankly, I'm still not. I think he is a good player, but I think he lacks explosiveness to be an every down player. Even if he dropped down into the low 260's, he still wouldn't be very fast or explosive. Right after the draft when watching him in shorts and a t-shirt I made the comparison that he is a defensive tackle stuck in a 6'2" 275lb body.

I really liked Derek Wolfe and he was who I was hoping they would take when they traded down into the 2nd. Mychal Kendricks was another one. Both of those guys would be a lot of fun to watch in this D.

Still though, Upshaw had a solid rookie year and was one of the higher rated run-defenders. He played an integral part of the SB Championship against Kaepernick and the option-o. Kruger barely played in the SB because Upshaw is so good at defending the run and setting the edge.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.