Page 8 of 22 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: So, any OL doubters turning into believers now?

Beng - I disagree. Oher wasn't the issue today.

Birk was abused for the 2nd week in a row. A lot of the pressure on Flacco came up the middle and was more of a result of receivers not getting open. Other than Trent Cole on the first series, Oher played pretty well.

Ramon Harewood had a tough game though.

The only OL penalty today was on Birk as well.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Oher was absolutely an issue today. No offense, but some of you really need to take off the purple glasses when it comes to him. He was awful, the entire f**king offensive line was awful. Someone was in the backfield on literally every passing play in the second half.

Oher's biggest hiccup was the Trent Cole strip but even then he had him mostly out of the play, it was just a good effort by Cole. The pressure was right up the middle mostly.

Kelechi on the other hand seemed to handle Babin well.

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Oher's biggest hiccup was the Trent Cole strip but even then he had him mostly out of the play, it was just a good effort by Cole. The pressure was right up the middle mostly.

Kelechi on the other hand seemed to handle Babin well.
    That's the game I saw. Every time Flacco tried to step up, he had pressure in his face and couldn't escape outside the D Ends. Granted, that's what the wide 9 is meant to do. Birk's looked weak so far in pass pro

Oher was predictably over matched at left tackle.

strip sack is big minus for Oher, but otherwise I thought he held up. All the extra help was going to Osemele's side too.

The wide 9 only works if you have guys in the middle to collapse, otherwise a QB can step up in behind the crease left by the D-End. Oher did his job by running Cole past the pocket 9/10. Can't say the same for the middle. How many times could Flacco not step into a throw today b/c of pressure in his face?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Oher was absolutely an issue today. No offense, but some of you really need to take off the purple glasses when it comes to him. He was awful, the entire f**king offensive line was awful. Someone was in the backfield on literally every passing play in the second half.
    Other than the Trent Cole strip...he didn't give up any ridiculous pressure on Flacco.

Again, the pressure mostly came up the middle.

I try to be pretty impartial when it comes to pretty much every player. I call it like I see it. The OL wasn't great today, but Oher was hardly the biggest issue on the OL. Free-running DT's over Birk and Harewood were MUCH more of an issue. Rice also missed a block in the backfield that got Flacco hit pretty hard too.

Bhc - you might as well not even comment or concern yourself with worrying about Oher at LT because it won't matter how good of a performance he puts in, you'll never be able to put aside your distaste for him as a player to acknowledge that maybe he has gotten better and could be a decent player.

Again - you don't need a top flight LT to be successful. Most teams have average at best offensive tackles and they succeed offensively.

That's why the sugar huddle makes sense. It plays to Oher's strengths and at the same time nullifies the pass rush by tiring out the DL and running a lot of quick-hitting passes and runs up the middle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LC_Ravens_87 View Post
    strip sack is big minus for Oher, but otherwise I thought he held up. All the extra help was going to Osemele's side too.

The wide 9 only works if you have guys in the middle to collapse, otherwise a QB can step up in behind the crease left by the D-End. Oher did his job by running Cole past the pocket 9/10. Can't say the same for the middle. How many times could Flacco not step into a throw today b/c of pressure in his face?
    Too many.

That overthrow to Pitta in the end zone would have been an easy TD had Flacco been able to step into his throw. Granted, I'm sure he makes that throw off his back foot 9 times out of 10, but when you have a free-runner DT right in your face as soon as you snap the ball...makes it kind of hard to keep the accuracy.

Birk is a liability. as mentione dpreviosly, Joe couldnt step into his throws with Birk being pushed back onto him. Woolfork will have a field day with him next week.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Bhc - you might as well not even comment or concern yourself with worrying about Oher at LT because it won't matter how good of a performance he puts in, you'll never be able to put aside your distaste for him as a player to acknowledge that maybe he has gotten better and could be a decent player.

Again - you don't need a top flight LT to be successful. Most teams have average at best offensive tackles and they succeed offensively.

That's why the sugar huddle makes sense. It plays to Oher's strengths and at the same time nullifies the pass rush by tiring out the DL and running a lot of quick-hitting passes and runs up the middle.
    I don't have a distaste for Oher at all, I call it like I see it. I think he's a decent RT who isn't cut out to be a LT in the NFL. All I've seen of him at LT is poor play against anyone of note. Sure, he might have a good game against a DE who nobody outside of that teams fans knows, but when it comes to name guys like Cole, he's awful. Don't know what you were watching today. Pressure was coming from everywhere. If Oher ever does become better and develop into an even "decent" LT, I'll be the first to say I was wrong, but that point hasn't come yet.

I stand by what I saw today and what I've seen in the past. I'm not against him, why would I be? I'm a Ravens fan and want them all to do well but I'm also not a raging homer who thinks everything is fine when it's not. I'll say again that some of you need to take off the purple glasses, and not just for Oher. I don't understand how being critical of a player who deserves the criticism equals you not liking the player.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    I don't have a distaste for Oher at all, I call it like I see it. I think he's a decent RT who isn't cut out to be a LT in the NFL. All I've seen of him at LT is poor play against anyone of note. Sure, he might have a good game against a DE who nobody outside of that teams fans knows, but when it comes to name guys like Cole, he's awful. Don't know what you were watching today. Pressure was coming from everywhere. If Oher ever does become better and develop into an even "decent" LT, I'll be the first to say I was wrong, but that point hasn't come yet.

I stand by what I saw today and what I've seen in the past. I'm not against him, why would I be? I'm a Ravens fan and want them all to do well but I'm also not a raging homer who thinks everything is fine when it's not. I'll say again that some of you need to take off the purple glasses, and not just for Oher. I don't understand how being critical of a player who deserves the criticism equals you not liking the player.
    See the bold point.

By my calculations, Trent Cole only had 1 sack/forced fumble on the same play...other than that he didn't do much. Sure, he put pressure on every now and then, but he is one of the better DE's in the league.

The defining pressure on the offense came over Birk. Cullen Jenkins and Derek Landri were having their way with Birk and Harewood. Joe couldn't step up into the pocket at all. That was more of an impact than any pressure Cole could have put on Flacco from the left side of the line.

Blog Entries

You know that you can't judge pressure just in terms of sacks. I do agree that the biggest problems were on the interior, but I don't buy that Oher and Osemele weren't a problem as well. I saw the pocket collapsing on Joe basically the entire second half, and not just from the inside. I plan on watching the game again and if I'm wrong I'll certainly come back and say that.

Cole is one of the better DE's in the league but if Oher is a good LT then he should be able to handle him. We play Demarcus Ware, Orakpo, Pierre-Paul/Tuck, Harrison/Woodley, the Texans guys, etc. Cole is a fine player but I don't think he's better than any of those guys & again, IMO, Oher didn't do a great job on him. Could be trouble down the road. Just my opinion.

Birk is a joke at this point. That we can agree on. It is unfortunate that Gradkowski is still a year away.