Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Joe Flacco "Almost There" (not quite top 10)

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    The author was speaking in terms of individual stats.

The thin skin of Ravens fans strikes again.
    Why would you turn this into a "thin skin" issue? If I can't discuss an article involving Joe Flacco on this forum of all places then where would I discuss it? Isn't the the point of this forum to discuss Ravens football and even debate it to an extent? It's not about thin skin, the QB debate in an interesting topic for some of us.
    Last edited by ERey; 09-26-2013 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    Why would you turn this into a "thin skin" issue? If I can't discuss an article involving Joe Flacco on this forum of all places then where would I discuss it? Isn't the the point of this forum to discuss Ravens football and even debate it to an extent? It's not about thin skin, the QB debate in an interesting topic for some of us.
    Who's stopping you from discussing it? Nobody said you can't discuss this.

Just understand there's many people here who are getting tired of the outrage over what appears to be yet again a misinterpreted article on Joe as some sort of dis.

I perceive this as a bit of thin skinned reactions and said such. You're free to debate otherwise.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I haven't had a chance to read this whole thread but I see the prototypical comments are out in full swing. People need to read the damn article. The author is ranking QBs based on his film review of the first 3 weeks. He looked into some advanced stats to see how his scouting squared up, but he's not relying on statistics, he's relying on watching the game film and drawing conclusions.

I see absolutely ZERO problem with his conclusions and I have no idea how anyone can accuse him of bias. Kaepernick, the media's darling boy over the last calendar year, has been dogshit the past few games after shredding an awful Packers' defense, and the author correctly ranks him at the bottom and trending down. Same goes for Tom Brady who looks like he's useless without supremely talented receivers to catch his 2 yard passes and get YAC to make him look good.

Flacco has NOT played better than any of the guys in front of him on the list. He's played well, especially on 3rd down, and he's certainly been hurt by drops, bad OL play, etc., but the bottom line is he's not off to a very fast start. I think he'll get better, but anybody who's outraged by these rankings need to take off their purple glasses and detach the IV drip of purple Kool Aid.
    You've missed the entire point. Some of us including myself have read the article. We understand what the auther is saying and that it's based on the first 3 games. BUT WE STILL DISAGREE WITH HIM.

On the flip side of what you are saying, I have noticed a trend on this forum that those who defend Ravens players from national articles are often accused of having "thin skin", or drinking "purple kool aid". That's OK. It's all part of the debate I guess. But I think those types of comments are counter productive to debating, in this case whether or not Joe Flacco is top 5. Just my opinion and an observation from a relatively still new poster.

Blog Entries

Who's stopping you from discussing it? Nobody said you can't discuss this.

Just understand there's many people here who are getting tired of the outrage over what appears to be yet again a misinterpreted article on Joe as some sort of dis.

I perceive this as a bit of thin skinned reactions and said such. You're free to debate otherwise.
    But that's just the point. It's not misinterpreted as I essentially noted in my post above. It's an opinion that the author is wrong in his assessment.

But that's just the point. It's not misinterpreted as I essentially noted in my post above. It's an opinion that the author is wrong in his assessment.
    And I disagree. I think you completely missed the point of the article.

As you point out, it's this season only. Through three games, and the stats bear this out, Joe is indeed almost there *this year*. The author is not saying Joe's an overall sub top ten QB for his career or anything like that. Since the author is strictly dealing in stats, in what metric is he wrong anyway?

And as another poster pointed out, the author goes on to praise Joe, saying the stats don't tell the whole story, a narrative that you also seem to agree with in your debate here.

His choice of using stats as his sole metric may be a bad choice in your mind but that's a completely different debate.

Blog Entries

And I disagree. I think you completely missed the point of the article.

As you point out, it's this season only. Through three games, and the stats bear this out, Joe is indeed almost there *this year*. The author is not saying Joe's an overall sub top ten QB for his career or anything like that. Since the author is strictly dealing in stats, in what metric is he wrong anyway?

And as another poster pointed out, the author goes on to praise Joe, saying the stats don't tell the whole story, a narrative that you also seem to agree with in your debate here.

His choice of using stats as his sole metric may be a bad choice in your mind but that's a completely different debate.
    Nevermind. lol

I got the point of the article, which is my whole point and reason for debate. We can agree to disagree.

Blog Entries

One thing that I can say is that for the last decade or so there have been a contingent of fans who adamantly believe that the NFL and media pundits on NFL Network and ESPN go out of their way to shit on Baltimore and the Ravens.

There are certainly media pundits who do just that (Skip Bayless and Heath Evans comes to mind as does Jamie Dukes).

The problem is every time someone feels injustice towards the Ravens, they start a thread about it and it almost always reads as the following:

"Can you believe _________ said that the Ravens ____________!??!"

Or

"______________ said that Joe Flacco is average at best; the media continues to hate the Ravens and Joe Flacco gets no respect."

So, if some posters who look at threads such as this as a "thin skin" reaction, you have to understand that is how it has been for years here.

If you disagree with the analytical report, that's one thing, but look at your original post:
    smh... when will these football analysts learn? Granted the article is for THIS YEAR and not a lifetime of work. But still, C'MON MAN!

Philip Rivers who has never won anything and owns a losing record this year is ranked in the top 5 along with fellow loser record QB golden boy Matt Ryan. Flacco at 2-1 can't crack the top 10. He's "almost there". Quite comical actually.
    You acknowledge that the analyst is using this year as his statistical reasoning for his ranking. Then you go into how Rivers has never won anything and Matt Ryan is a loser.

I think if you take a step back and look at it from other perspectives you could see how this comes across as another "thin skin overreaction" thread.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    :word We just need to stop getting worked up about articles like this. It's all about stats and playing fantasy football. I'd rather have a boring team that wins, rather than a team with gaudy offensive stats that always falls short.
    Right you are! Unfortunately, I suspect the complaining will continue with many more future threads of this ilk. The article in question, like many we see that people get all worked up over, is about individual stats. Therefore, the ranking they give Joe makes sense. Big freakin' deal. Maybe I'm just an oldster, but I don't feel the need to have the national media slobbering over my team's QB. As long as Joe wins, I don't care if he's ranked 32nd every week.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    One thing that I can say is that for the last decade or so there have been a contingent of fans who adamantly believe that the NFL and media pundits on NFL Network and ESPN go out of their way to shit on Baltimore and the Ravens.

There are certainly media pundits who do just that (Skip Bayless and Heath Evans comes to mind as does Jamie Dukes).

The problem is every time someone feels injustice towards the Ravens, they start a thread about it and it almost always reads as the following:

Or

"______________ said that Joe Flacco is average at best; the media continues to hate the Ravens and Joe Flacco gets no respect."

So, if some posters who look at threads such as this as a "thin skin" reaction, you have to understand that is how it has been for years here.

If you disagree with the analytical report, that's one thing, but look at your original post:

You acknowledge that the analyst is using this year as his statistical reasoning for his ranking. Then you go into how Rivers has never won anything and Matt Ryan is a loser.

I think if you take a step back and look at it from other perspectives you could see how this comes across as another "thin skin overreaction" thread.
    Well said.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post

Or

I understand what you are saying. I can't speak for other posters obviously, but I actually think national anaylsts, ESPN, etc has been pretty kind to the Ravens. In fact, I think the Ravens got more love than the 49ers last year during the Super Bowl week. That's not to say the 49ers didn't get any love, I just remember watching all the Super Bowl shows thinking it's all about Baltimore.

So with that said I can't put myself in the "Everyone hates Baltimore" category, which is why I don't see my original post as thin skin. I put the line in there about the article being about 3 games so that you guys would know that I read the article and didn't just cherry pick a line about Flacco.

I disagree with the article and how the author goes about deterinming who he thinks is the best through 3 weeks. He's ranking the QBs through 3 weeks based on QB index. I get that. I disagree with the premise on ranking and how he arrived there. I gave my reason why due to the intangibles. For example, a three and out depending on where it is in the game and why it occured is something that should be in the equation, but is not and never will be. Hence his flawed concept of ranking the starters.

Is it possible you're so used to some people playing the "Ravens disrespect" card that you dismiss threads like this?

Well said Wicked.

And in totally stealing that pic. :)

Blog Entries

Well said Wicked.

And in totally stealing that pic. :)
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.