Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 141516
    Blog Entries

Re: 70 Dropbacks vs. 21 runs called

Edromeo actually makes a good point. Throwing on first down clearly wasn’t working, but they kept doing that. So why couldn’t they keep trying to run the ball more? I don’t think it would have worked enough for a W, personally (Not meant toward you Ed) but the logic is there. Especially, if they’re just going to empty the backfield on first down and get into 2nd and 10 ad nauseam.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Edromeo actually makes a good point. Throwing on first down clearly wasn’t working, but they kept doing that. So why couldn’t they keep trying to run the ball more? I don’t think it would have worked enough for a W, personally (Not meant toward you Ed) but the logic is there. Especially, if they’re just going to empty the backfield on first down and get into 2nd and 10 ad nauseam.

The question is HOW you run. Not just running. They had eaten well this year off of running out of heavy sets. That was missing.

Also, for the talk of "the Titans had a gameplan that led to a lot of carries for 1 yard or less" - WHO was running the ball? Was it an injured Ingram?

Could it be that Harbs and Co. f'ed up having Ingram active? Maybe the fact that gus averaged 6 YPC on his 3 touches shows the failure of the run game was . . . WHO was running the ball, and that he was injured? As well as running him behind odd personel groupings?

They had a bad gameplan and stuck to it. Shame on them.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Dance with the one that brung ya!

̶P̶o̶l̶o̶n̶i̶u̶s̶ GRo: This above all: to thine own self be true!

Quote Originally Posted by ClericBlackDave View Post
    The question is HOW you run. Not just running. They had eaten well this year off of running out of heavy sets. That was missing.

Also, for the talk of "the Titans had a gameplan that led to a lot of carries for 1 yard or less" - WHO was running the ball? Was it an injured Ingram?
    Yup. They lost their run game emphasis. You know which team led the league in running against 8-man box counts? The 49ers. If you are running team, NO; if you have the best run game in NFL history you do not give up on the run because of a couple/few 1 yard or less runs.

It wasn't just lack of heavy sets, for me it was lack of run diversity. We looked like the only runs we had were read-option. What happened to the rest of the run game? The inside/outside zone runs the duos the power etc.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Dance with the one that brung ya!

Yup. They lost their run game emphasis. You know which team led the league in running against 8-man box counts? The 49ers. If you are running team, NO; if you have the best run game in NFL history you do not give up on the run because of a couple/few 1 yard or less runs.

It wasn't just lack of heavy sets, for me it was lack of run diversity. We looked like the only runs we had were read-option. What happened to the rest of the run game? The inside/outside zone runs the duos the power etc.

That's true also, they didn't have any great run scheme diversity. Their gameplan was pass heavy and thats clearly what they focused on for 2 weeks, IMHO.

I focus on the personnel aspect because when you throw out 5 lineman, 2 TE2, a FB, a big bodied WR like Boykin and a physical guy like Sneed, you outweigh your opponents on the field, and you're like stronger and tougher.

The only way you dont is if they take DBs off the field in favor of LB's and lineman. At that point, your TE's should REALLY eat in the passing game.

The gameplan was so WR focused it was ridiculous. No way our 3rd WR should be seeing early touches over a 1st round pick in Hayden Hurst. WHERE WAS OUR FULLBACK? Soooo many questions.

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Nice & very true reference, ed.

Also P̶o̶l̶o̶n̶i̶u̶s̶ GRo: O, I am slain!

Something was seriously rotten in Baltimore that night & it seemed to start with the gameplan.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk
    "Did Ed Reed get the respect that he deserves? No he did not...Am I gonna get it? Probably won't. Hopefully he do. If I don't, then, hey, man, I'm alright with me." - Ed Reed

I wonder how much of the run/pass disparity was Ingram’s injury vs Roman’s game plan vs playing from behind? We went away from the run early on when it was still 14-6 so I don’t think it was the later so much, at least not until later in the game. I don’t understand the lack of carries for Gus at all. We could have ran effectively with him, and Ingram’s injury makes it even more baffling.

Were Harbaugh/Roman trying to do what the Chiefs did to them? Air it out, jump to a quick lead and make THEM play from behind and abandon the run? Could the lack of run plays have been deliberate?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson8 View Post
    I wonder how much of the run/pass disparity was Ingram’s injury vs Roman’s game plan vs playing from behind? We went away from the run early on when it was still 14-6 so I don’t think it was the later so much, at least not until later in the game. I don’t understand the lack of carries for Gus at all. We could have ran effectively with him, and Ingram’s injury makes it even more baffling.

Were Harbaugh/Roman trying to do what the Chiefs did to them? Air it out, jump to a quick lead and make THEM play from behind and abandon the run? Could the lack of run plays have been deliberate?
    They panicked. The run/pass ratio wasn't vastly different from what it had been throughout the season, in that first half and the start of the second half. What was vastly different was how much they threw on first down and how often they emptied the backfield. If you look at that game, it does not look like they did what they'd been doing. So, while you can point to the raw numbers and say that they were rather balanced, therein comes the first down passes and how badly that went and that helps to explain why you saw what you saw and weren't crazy for thinking you saw it.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ActionJackson8 View Post

I am at the point now, where the reasons behind the gameplan and playcalling don’t matter. Hopefully they realize the error in that gameplan/playcalling and don’t repeat it.