Page 7 of 26 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Way Too Early 2013 Draft/FA Thread: Fixing the Defense

22. Pittsburgh Steelers – Dion Jordan, OLB, Oregon (6’6” 244lbs). Pittsburgh could go a couple of different ways here, but there is no doubting that they need to get some young talent in their front 7 because James Harrison is old and due a lot of money, Jason Worilds has been disappointing, and apparently LaMarr Woodley doesn’t want to work out during the off-season. Jordan gets off the line very well and even though he is 6’6” he can really get low when turning a corner. Not many have him as 1st round talent right now, but I think the combination of his pass rushing skills and his ability to drop back into coverage – which is very impressive – will ultimately push him into round 1.

23. Minnesota Vikings – DeAndre Hopkins, WR, Clemson (6’1” 205lbs). The Vikings may be the most surprising team this year, but as the season went on it was pretty apparent that they still really needed better players at receiver. Percy Harvin is their best receiver, but he can’t do it all and he seems to operate better out of the slot. They signed Jerome Simpson, who hasn’t even been able to get onto the field, and Michael Jenkins isn’t very good. Hopkins has been destroying ACC secondary’s this season for Clemson with outstanding speed and route running ability. He is a big play threat every time he gets the ball in his hands.

24. New England Patriots – Chance Warmack, OG, Alabama (6’3” 320lbs)
    . The Brian Waters situation was kind of strange and no one really knows what happened. Logan Mankins has been banged up and for once in Tom Brady’s career the Patriots’ offensive line has been kind of a weak spot. Chance Warmack is this year’s top rated guard and is an outstanding run blocker. He plays with incredible strength and good technique. Currently he is an ok pass blocker, but he does anchor well and there is certainly reason to think that he could evolve into a very good interior offensive lineman quickly.

25. Chicago Bears – Dallas Thomas, OG, Tennsee (6’5” 312lbs). The Bears are in an interesting spot. They have two guys playing in the last year of their contracts (Jay Cutler and Henry Melton) and neither are going to be very cheap to keep around. In fact, there are some who think that the Bears may let Cutler hit free agency, re-sign Jason Campbell, and draft a guy to compete with Jason Campbell for next year. If that happens, then I think this pick would be Tyler Bray out of Tennessee. As it stands, I think that Mike Tice will encourage the Bears to continue to try and strengthen their offensive line because they still allow Jay Cutler to get hit way too much. Dallas Thomas is a superb player and is really underrated. He excels as a run blocker and can hold his own in pass protection. His best position is probably guard in the NFL, but he can slide out and play left tackle if the Bears decide JaMarcus Webb is a lost cause.

26. Denver Broncos – Taylor Lewan, OT, Michigan (6’7” 309lbs)
    . Ryan Clady is a free agent and I doubt the Broncos are going to be able to afford him. Secondly, from everything I’ve read I am not so sure that Clady even wants to be there anymore. There is the possibility that the Broncos put the franchise tag on him, but that could be pretty expensive as well, so I’m not sure if John2 will want to do that or not. Lewan has been really impressive this year and has really improved as a pass blocker. He is in the mold of guys like Jake Long and Ryan Kalil, who were top 5 picks in their respective drafts, so there is reason to think that Lewan’s upside could be desirable for teams needing a left tackle.

27. Baltimore Ravens – CJ Mosley, LB, Alabama (6’2” 238lbs)
    . Mosley has been an outstanding linebacker for Alabama and can play inside or out. He is an excellent run defender, has some pass rushing ability, and plays well in space. Baltimore needs to really evaluate their inside linebackers because they don’t have anyone who can cover the middle of the field on passing downs and they have been a sieve when stopping the run. Ray Lewis is a legend, but he just doesn’t have the ability to be an every down player anymore and neither Dannell Ellerbe or Jameel McClain play well in space.

28. Atlanta Falcons – Kawann Short, DT, Purdue (6’3” 310lbs)
    . Short has been a standout player in the Big10 this year. He provides a nice burst up the middle and even when double-teamed he still finds a way into the backfield to put pressure on the QB. He is probably best suited as a 4-3 under tackle and reminds me of a Geno Atkins type of defensive lineman. Atlanta hasn’t been too thrilled with their defensive lineman for a few years now and Peria Jerry seems more and more like a bust.

29. Green Bay Packers – Tony Jefferson, S, Oklahoma (5’11” 211lbs).
    The Packers secondary has been pretty bad for them this year. They give up far too much over the top and their entire defense outside of Clay Matthews has issues tackling the ball carrier. Jefferson is like a heat-seeking missile when tracking the ball carrier. He’s a big hitter who plays well deep and is at his best up around the line of scrimmage.

30. San Francisco 49ers – Jon Jenkins, DT, Georgia (6’3” 350lbs)
    . The 49ers have very little need on either side of the ball, but Jenkins is someone that could be a huge boost to an already potent defense. For a guy his size, he rushes the passer extremely well and he does a nice job standing offensive lineman up at the line of scrimmage and taking on double teams, which means Patrick Willis and Navorro Bowman don’t get picked up as much by opposing guards. Jenkins is a boom or bust kind of player, but there is no denying he has outstanding athleticism for his size.

31. Houston Texans – TJ McDonald, S, USC (6’2” 208lbs). Houston is another team that really doesn’t need a whole lot. I think they may look at receiver, but in the bottom of round 1 they may want to try and take a guy to replace Glover Quinn, who will be a free agent. McDonald is a rangy safety with nice ball skills. His stock has dropped a little, but he is still a legit player and can function as a strong safety, but I think his best position may be as a free safety.

32. New York Giants – Khaseem Green, OLB, Rutgers (6’1” 230lbs)
    . Green is a borderline 1st rounder right now, but his stock is going to stay strong because this guy is such a good player and leader on the field. He may be the best cover linebacker in this entire draft and he flies around the field. To me, this is a pretty typical Jerry Reese/Tom Coughlin pick. The Giants don’t really need a whole lot, but they’ve had some weak spots at linebacker for a few years now and getting a solid 4-3 outside linebacker who can stay out on the field for the entire game has to be something the Giants would be interested in.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Round 2
    33. Jacksonville Jaguars – John Cooper, OG, North Carolina (6’3” 315lbs). Cooper is without a doubt the 2nd rated guard in this draft and some feel that he could push himself up into round 1. If he is here, the Jags really need to consider it because their offensive line has been about as mediocre as they come.

34. Kansas City Chiefs – Robert Woods, WR, USC (6’ 190lbs). Dwayne Bowe has been trying to leave Kansas City for the last couple of years. The Chiefs can’t tag him and unless they offer him the moon, I don’t see him stick around there. Kansas City needs to give their young QB some weapons to work with. Woods is a pristine route runner with solid speed. If he were 6’2” 210lbs he’d probably be a top 20 pick.

35. Cincinnati Bengals – Marcus Lattimore, RB, South Carolina (6’ 220lbs). Lattimore probably would have been a top 20 selection before he mangled his leg up this past week, but now I think he’ll drop a fair amount. There is a chance that he could not ever play again, but if he can then I think a team might take a chance on him in the 2nd or 3rd rounds, let him heal up for a year, and then see where he is at the next season. The kid has talent and is without a doubt the top runningback in the country.

36. Carolina Panthers – Sharrif Floyd, DT, Florida (6’3” 300lbs). Floyd has been an excellent defensive tackle this year. He penetrates into the backfield and pushes the pocket around nicely. He’s quick for his size and can work his way down the line and make perimeter tackles. Carolina has to get better in the middle of their defensive line. It has been a few years now since they’ve had solid production from their DT’s and it could get Ron Rivera fired after this season.

37. Miami Dolphins – Logan Ryan, CB, Rutgers (6’ 195lbs). Miami has been another nice surprise this year, but they still could use some upgrades in their secondary because neither Sean Smith or Nolan Carroll are doing anything to make the Dolphins think that they have good depth at corner. Ryan has been a very impressive player at Rutgers this year and has nice ability in man coverage.

38. Buffalo Bills – Tyler Bray, QB, Tennessee (6’6” 220lbs). Bray is a lanky QB with an above average arm and solid accuracy. He has some durability concerns and he hasn’t been as consistent as you’d like, which is why I think he’ll drop a bit. Buffalo needs to bring in someone who can legitimately compete with Ryan Fitzpatrick, because he just isn’t getting it done.

39. Tennessee Titans – Alex Okafor, DE, Texas (6’4” 265lbs)
    . The Titans probably are close to giving up on Derrick Morgan ever being a factor for them and even though Kameiron Wimbley is a good player, he can’t do it by himself and the Titans have very little depth at DE right now. Okafor is a solid all-around DE. If he can show at the combine that he can drop into coverage then I think he could go higher than this to a 3-4 team, but off the edge he is pretty good.

40. Tampa Buccaneers – Kenny Vaccaro, S, Texas (6’ 215lbs). Right now the Bucs have a 63 year old Rhonde Barber playing safety. Barber can still play at a decently high level, but they really do need to think about getting a younger guy in there to be his replacement. Vaccaro has been a great player for the Longhorns this year and has made plays all over the field. He would be a great compliment to Mark Barron.

41. New York Jets – Ricky Wagner, OT, Wisconsin (6’6” 325lbs).
    Wagner is a traditional Wisconsin lineman. He is a mauler in the ground game and provides nice protection as a pass blocker. The Jets got rid of Wayne Hunter, but didn’t really upgrade too much with Austin Howard at RT. Whoever their QB is needs time to read the field and make the right throw.

42. Cincinnati Bengals – Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia (6’3” 236lbs). Ogletree is a very athletic linebacker who could function well in a 4-3 and a 3-4. He also has the coverage skills to stay on the field in nickel and dime packages. Rey Maualuga is entering a contract year and the Bengals have had a tough time with outside linebackers as Manny Lawson isn’t very good and Thomas Howard is hurt.

43. St. Louis Rams – Mario Benavides, C, Louisville (6’4” 300lbs). Scott Wells has been ok for the Rams, but they’ve had issues generating any kind of push for their running backs to work with. Benavides is very underrated and has performed well against any defense Louisville has faced.

44. Philadelphia Eagles – Damontre Moore, DE, Texas A&M (6’4” 255lbs)
    . It wouldn’t be a Philadelphia draft if a lineman wasn’t taken within the first two rounds. Trent Cole is still Trent Cole, but Jason Babin hasn’t been nearly what they thought considering how well he played last year. Still, the Eagles love having a plethora of rotational defensive lineman and Moore is a heck of a pass rusher. He could push his stock up into round 1.

45. Arizona Cardinals – Brennan Williams, OT, North Carolina (6’6” 315lbs). Williams has been a name that many feel is playing into a borderline 1st round status. He has ideal size for the left tackle position and has nice athleticism. The upside is certainly there, but I think he’ll stay around the mid to late 2nd round.

Blog Entries

46. Washington Redskins – Desmond Trufant, CB, Washington (6’ 188lbs). The Redskins’ secondary is pretty bad. Josh Wilson is decent, but DeAngelo Hall is really overrated and gives up way too many big plays because he likes to gamble. Trufant doesn’t have a lot of stats this year because no QB wants to throw his direction, which means he’s pretty darn good as a cover corner.

47. Dallas Cowboys – Cyril Richardson, OG/T, Baylor (6’5” 335lbs).
    Richardson has experience at offensive tackle, but has predominately been at guard this season for Baylor and has excelled there. Dallas really needs to bolster their offensive line; especially at guard.

48. San Diego Chargers – Travis Howard, CB, Ohio State (6’1” 199lbs). San Diego’s pass defense is bad. Quinton Jammer is a shadow of his former self and Antione Cason bites on almost every double move that gets thrown on him. They really need another cornerback capable of playing the outside and considering they play the Broncos twice a year who have two big receivers, they should really think about getting a bigger cornerback who can actually press and cover.

49. Miami Dolphins – Terrance Williams, WR, Baylor (6’3” 205lbs). Miami continues to get better weapons for Ryan Tannehill. Williams is excellent in the middle of the field and really works the route tree. He won’t burn many corners down the field, but his size allows him to be effective as a vertical threat.

50. Detroit Lions – Dalton Freeman, C, Clemson (6’5” 290lbs). Freeman may be a bit on the small side, but he plays with great technique and some of the best centers in the league right now (Chris Myers) are less than 300lbs. Dominic Raiola is a good player, but he’s getting up there in age and has slowly been on the decline.

51. Seattle Seahawks – Jackson Jeffcoat, DE, Texas (6’5” 245lbs). Pete Carroll will probably continue to amass pass rushers. Bruce Irvin has made some decent plays this year, but Chris Clemons is still getting up there in age and really isn’t very good against the run. Jeffcoat does really well breaking into the backfield, but he takes advantage of facing single blocking because a lot of defenses are focused on Okafor.

52. Pittsburgh Steelers – Cordarelle Patterson, WR, Tennessee (6’3” 200lbs). It is highly unlikely that Pittsburgh will be able to afford Mike Wallace. As it stands it is unlikely that they will even be able to afford to use the franchise tag on him. Pittsburgh is going to have to do some homework and draft a receiver and hope he can develop into someone who could start in his first year. Patterson has outstanding speed for his size, but is still pretty raw.

53. Minnesota Vikings – Gerald Hodges, LB, Penn State (6’2” 235lbs). Hodges has been playing really well this season. He plays the run extremely well and he has a ton of athleticism, which allows him to play in space well. He has a ton of upside and reminds me of a Darryl Washington type of linebacker. The Vikings defense has gotten a lot better, but Hodges would be a major upgrade over Jasper Brinkley.

54. New England Patriots – Stedman Bailey, WR, West Virgina (5’10” 190lbs). Bailey has been a major reason for West Virginia’s prolific offense. He is an outstanding route runner, consistently finds the soft zones, and makes plays with the ball in his hands. He can return punts and kicks and has deceptive speed. I think the Patriots are ok going with QB by committee, but they aren’t real crazy about Deion Branch, Brandon Lloyd has been so-so, and who knows if they will re-sign Wes Welker.

55. Chicago Bears – Louis Nix, DT, Notre Dame (6’4” 322lbs). The Bears may not be able to afford to keep Henry Melton because they may be writing a big paycheck for Jay Cutler. I think the Bears could be in the market for another interior defensive lineman and at this point Nix is the best of the bunch. He does a great job shedding blockers and making plays in the backfield.

56. Denver Broncos – Joseph Randle, RB, Oklahoma State (6’ 205lbs). Randle is an elusive back with nice top end speed. It is arguable that he isn’t the best available back at this point, but I think his upside and big play ability will make him a pretty intriguing prospect for a team like Denver who could use a guy behind McGahee, who will be 32 next year.

57. Baltimore Ravens – Alvin Bailey, OG/T, Arkansas (6’5” 324lbs). Bailey is kind of a jack-of-all-trades offensive lineman. He’s solid in pass protection and he is a good run blocker. He can play tackle or guard. The Ravens have some real issues on the offensive line. They need to decide what they want to do with Oher and KO and the left guard position, but with getting a guy like Bailey they will have some options.

58. Atlanta Falcons – Omoregie Uzzi, OG, Georgia Tech (6’3” 305lbs). Uzzi is a nasty run blocker, but is pretty raw as a pass blocker. He has a lot of upside. Atlanta has kind of been iffy regarding their running game this year and even though many feel Michael Turner is slowing down, they could still use an upgrade on the OL. Peter Konz will likely move over to center when Todd McClure retires leaving a hole at LG and Garrett Reynolds is a free agent and not very good.

59. Green Bay Packers – Shane Skov, ILB, Stanford (6’3” 251lbs)
    . Skov has come off of a knee injury nicely and has been a solid defensive player for Stanford this season. AJ Hawk is ok, but expensive, and Desmond Bishop is coming off of some injuries as well. Green Bay could stand to upgrade the linebacker position.

60. San Francisco 49ers – Eric Reid, S, LSU (6’2” 212lbs). The Niners don’t seem interested in paying Dashon Golson a ton of money, so there is reason to think that he’ll be hitting free agency. Eric Reid is an opportunistic safety that thrives in an aggressive defense. He would be a good fit in San Francisco’s defense.

61. Houston Texans – Cobi Hamilton, WR, Arkansas (6’3” 210lbs).
    The Texans let Jacoby Jones hit free agency and used draft picks on Kenyon Martin and DeVier Posey last year, but neither has been very impressive at all. Considering Andre Johnson’s age and Kevin Walter’s lack of speed they may be interested in looking at another receiver who has the upside to develop into a #1 or #2 receiver.

62. New York Giants – David Yankey, OT, Stanford (6’5” 307lbs).
    William Beatty has talent, but the guy is always hurt. The Giants have been playing with a makeshift offensive line for a few years now, but how long before that catches up to them? Yankey is pretty underrated and has played well when the pressure was on. He is a bit raw, but has some upside as an offensive tackle.

Blog Entries

Not a fan of Arthur Brown? I've read some good things about him.

Blog Entries

I doubt we come out of round 2 without a nose tackle or a 5 technique. Sheldon Richardson is a guy I am interested in.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I doubt we come out of round 2 without a nose tackle or a 5 technique. Sheldon Richardson is a guy I am interested in.
    I've watched a couple if Missouri games and I'm not quite sure if Richardson would be a good fit in a 3-4. He has the size, but he doesn't seem like he plays like that. I think he'd be an ideal 4-3 left end or 4-3 under tackle. He's more of a pass rusher/finesse guy, so that's kind of where my assessment is on him currently.

Good player, just not sure if he'd be a good fit in Baltimore's D.

I contemplated Louis Nix or Jon Jenkins in round 1, but I think CJ Mosley is the better player there and frankly I think ILB is WAY more of a hole than DT. Plus, IMO, after T'eo, Mosley, and Ogletree there is a pretty significant drop off in talent of guys who would fit the bill of a 3-4 ILB.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    Not a fan of Arthur Brown? I've read some good things about him.
    He is a good player. Probably a 4-3 OLB though. I think he's a bit on the smallish side to play in Baltimore's 3-4. He is about 225-230lbs. Not saying he wouldn't be a good player in Baltimore, but if I'm choosing between Mosley in round 1 and say Brown in round 2, I'm going Mosley all the way. That guy is a solid player and his experience and success in a 3-4 makes him much more valuable IMO. He's not as big as Hightower, but he's much, much more athletic and much better in space.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I've watched a couple if Missouri games and I'm not quite sure if Richardson would be a good fit in a 3-4. He has the size, but he doesn't seem like he plays like that. I think he'd be an ideal 4-3 left end or 4-3 under tackle. He's more of a pass rusher/finesse guy, so that's kind of where my assessment is on him currently.

Good player, just not sure if he'd be a good fit in Baltimore's D.

I contemplated Louis Nix or Jon Jenkins in round 1, but I think CJ Mosley is the better player there and frankly I think ILB is WAY more of a hole than DT.
    True, I just really like the pressure he brings up the middle, and it's something that we are severely lacking.

And I disagree somewhat that ILB is a bigger need than DT. As Arnie_UK has said before on these boards, you put any LB there, and they are going to be ineffective with the Dline we have. When we had Cory Redding for example, it's funny how Jameel McClain looked a lot better than he has this year. I think ILB is one of the biggest needs on this team, but for me, NT or 5 technique is the number 1 need this offseason, followed closely by OT, we need to improve the trenches. History shows that you can get a good ILB in a later round, or sign a good player in FA for a reasonable price. DT/NT/OT's are much harder to draft or find.

I a a big fan of Jon Jenkins, Louis Nix, Sheldon Richardson, and even Jesse Williams. It's a favorable draft for DT's this year for sure. As good as CJ Mosely is, I'm not sure there are any ILB's I'd take in the first round other than Manti Teo, and I felt the same way this year when Hightower was on the radar. Are ILB's really worth it no matter how good they are when you can get a really good one in the second or third rounds? These are questions that I always consider when I personally project where an ILB may end up going. Lets take a look at Bobby Wagner who went in the second round for example, he's right now perhaps the favorite to win defensive rookie of the year, and has played much better than either Luke Kuechy (who went 8 overall) and Donta Hightower who went 25th overall.

Blog Entries

Re: Looking at the off-season: Navorro Bowman

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp View Post
    If Bowman were to hit the market he would be one of the TOP Fa's out there, you would be bidding against all but 2 or 3 teams. No way the Ravens would get him anyway.

Espcially when they sign Joe. If he gets his $100M, there won't be
    room for anyone else. We already lost 5 guys last year cause we
    were so close to the cap ceiling and even more will leave this
    year.

UGH!

Blog Entries

True, I just really like the pressure he brings up the middle, and it's something that we are severely lacking.

And I disagree somewhat that ILB is a bigger need than DT. As Arnie_UK has said before on these boards, you put any LB there, and they are going to be ineffective with the Dline we have. When we had Cory Redding for example, it's funny how Jameel McClain looked a lot better than he has this year. I think ILB is one of the biggest needs on this team, but for me, NT or 5 technique is the number 1 need this offseason, followed closely by OT, we need to improve the trenches. History shows that you can get a good ILB in a later round, or sign a good player in FA for a reasonable price. DT/NT/OT's are much harder to draft or find.

I a a big fan of Jon Jenkins, Louis Nix, Sheldon Richardson, and even Jesse Williams. It's a favorable draft for DT's this year for sure. As good as CJ Mosely is, I'm not sure there are any ILB's I'd take in the first round other than Manti Teo, and I felt the same way this year when Hightower was on the radar. Are ILB's really worth it no matter how good they are when you can get a really good one in the second or third rounds? These are questions that I always consider when I personally project where an ILB may end up going. Lets take a look at Bobby Wagner who went in the second round for example, he's right now perhaps the favorite to win defensive rookie of the year, and has played much better than either Luke Kuechy (who went 8 overall) and Donta Hightower who went 25th overall.
    I don't disagree with you that DT/DE isn't a need. It definitely is a need. I'm not going to disagree with you there, but I think because this draft has a lot of quality DL'man then you can potentially value an ILB like Mosley a bit higher than a DT or a DE. Especially if in the 3rd round you could be looking at guys like Casius Marsh, Jessie Williams, Datone Jones, or even Margus Hunt. Plus, we have absolutely no idea how these guys are going to look in December. Sometimes the light just clicks on after a bit and guys look completely different in December and January than what they did in September. I'm hoping that maybe this could happen with one or more of the guys on the DL right now.

However, I do disagree with you that no ILB outside of T'eo is worth a 1st round pick. I think T'eo and Mosley could definitely be round 1 picks.

Did Jameel McClain look better last year? Yea, but so did Cody, Art Jones, Kruger, McPhee, Jimmy, and Cary. I think losing Chuck Pagano hurt A LOT more than losing Corey Redding and JJ (not to say that those two losses don't have an impact). I just think Pags knew how to get the most out of the talent that he had on defense and right now Dean Pees isn't sure how to get that same performance. I refuse to believe that ALL of those guys regressed over the off-season. It is far more likely that Dean Pees is having a hard time figuring out how to use everyone to their strengths. I mean, we can see that in the secondary by having both Jimmy and Cary playing 8-10 yards off when last year they were successful by playing press coverage and jamming the WR's at the line of scrimmage. That is a change in scheme and defensive philosophy, not a drop-off in talent.

I will say that even with McClain playing better last year, he still was never very good in coverage and in today's NFL you need a MLB who can cover.
    Last edited by wickedsolo; 10-28-2012 at 08:45 PM.

I wouldn't take any ILB in the 1st this year outside of Manti Te'o. I like some of the guys who will be around in the 2nd or 3rd, though.

I really think the Ravens can't go into 2013 without picking up a major FA defender, either a LB, 5-tech DE/DT, NT, or S. They just have so many holes at those positions and I can't think Ozzie will want to go into the draft with no depth missing starters at ILB, S, and potentially NT (if Kemo is not brought back).

One thing to remember is that they do have Bryan Hall and DeAngelo Tyson as young talent on the DL. We may get a chance to see them audition for bigger roles in the next few weeks. They also have Ryan McBean coming back from injury in 2013, a guy who I would think would be locked into the rotation if not starting.

I rank the defensive needs as: S, ILB, and NT.

I get the need for a D lineman and I hope we come out with one in one of the first 2 rounds.

I don't and the Ravens hopefully won't take an inferior D lineman if there is a better ILB sitting there.

I happen to be a HUGE Mosely fan...put me down for starting his bandwagon before he blows up late in the college postseason and pre draft workouts.

Watch, that guy is going to be a big name by the end of the bowls.

I just don't buy the "well, our DL stinks so we shouldn't take a linebacker" way of thinking. It's the same nonsense that I have read/heard regarding taking a QB without a good OL. If the guy is worth the pick, you take them...you don't pass because another aspect of your team isn't up to par.

I look at it as DL/LB being our 1a and 1b needs.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.