Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2728293031 ... LastLast

Re: Hayden Hurst traded to Falcons

Quote Originally Posted by QtR Nevermore View Post
    "Wide receiver is the second most-valuable position," from http://www.sloansportsconference.com...er_PFF_WAR.pdf

"we show that the most valuable positions in the NFL are quarterback, wide receiver" from https://economics.missouri.edu/sites...410_koedel.pdf
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    We have, and will have , the most run heavy offense in the NFL. This will affect the number of quality WRs who can be expected to contribute significantly to our offense. To me this means we are unlikely to take any WR at 28.
    I think the offense is constantly evolving. I certainly don’t expect us to take Lamar’s run game off the table but I do think we want to rely on it less, especially between the 20s, while looking for more chunk plays in the passing game.

3. Re: Hayden Hurst traded to Falcons

Really think he's going to be very good. I feel like as Lamar matured as a passer a guy like Hurst was going to key playmaker for the Ravens.

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    Yes, it rates DB, WR, and QB as more valuable because it is a reflection of the focus on the passing game today. If most of the effort is poured into passing and stopping the pass, any advantage you can gain at those positions is exponential. The Ravens have loaded up on DBs because you can't afford to slip in this area when opponents have invested in attacking DBs (they also get injured more frequently).

Remember it's all based on averages--and assumes everyone is chasing the same goal. The Ravens shifted have invested in a dominant running game to zig while others zag. With opponents beefing up to stop the pass, they are attacking a relative weakness with their strong running game.

It's also true that the two most difficult positions to project in the draft are QB and WR. This helps explain why finding "franchise" players at this position is such an advantage--the rest. of the league on average is going to struggle to match you (whereas a franchise right guard, like Yanda, doesn't create as large of a unique advantage).

Meaning, it's not quite as easy as saying they need to draft more WRs. A bad WR--and there are a lot of them every year-- does not boost WAR.
    The current meta rewards passing over running imo. It shouldn't be about ignoring passing and favoring running when you can find and exploit different ways to pass. I think they should be favoring efficiency and stability over volume of passes and hope that Lamar gets better at selling traditional under center playaction to achieve that.

Quote Originally Posted by seraph View Post
    The current meta rewards passing over running imo. It shouldn't be about ignoring passing and favoring running when you can find and exploit different ways to pass. I think they should be favoring efficiency and stability over volume of passes and hope that Lamar gets better at selling traditional under center playaction to achieve that.
    I don’t know why we would need traditional under center anything tbh

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RedSea View Post
    Really think he's going to be very good. I feel like as Lamar matured as a passer a guy like Hurst was going to key playmaker for the Ravens.
    RedSea, first off welcome to the RSR board! You'll find none better.
    OK, perhaps H. Hurst would have matured with LJ8, but that 2nd round draft choice (he was traded for) could be an IOL who will protect him from the inside and help our running game OR he may be a WR in this deep class to make our offense more dangerous OR be a player like an ILB where we have a defensive hole. If any of those come to fruition then trading a player deemed #3 on our TE chart was worth it. We'll see... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    RedSea, first off welcome to the RSR board! You'll find none better.
    OK, perhaps H. Hurst would have matured with LJ8, but that 2nd round draft choice (he was traded for) could be an IOL who will protect him from the inside and help our running game OR he may be a WR in this deep class to make our offense more dangerous OR be a player like an ILB where we have a defensive hole. If any of those come to fruition then trading a player deemed #3 on our TE chart was worth it. We'll see... Bc
    Not to mention team control for two additional seasons and a potential second contract (which Hurst wasn't going to get).

Peter King reports that the Patriots "lost out" in their attempts to obtain HH. No way to know what the offer was but it sounds like it was a serious attempt and explains why EDC was able to get the 2nd rounder from Atlanta.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    Peter King reports that the Patriots "lost out" in their attempts to obtain HH. No way to know what the offer was but it sounds like it was a serious attempt and explains why EDC was able to get the 2nd rounder from Atlanta.
    2021 TE class shaping up to be stronger than this year's so it has probably worked great for both HH and the Ravens.

Quote Originally Posted by NjRavensFan View Post
    I think the offense is constantly evolving. I certainly don’t expect us to take Lamar’s run game off the table but I do think we want to rely on it less, especially between the 20s, while looking for more chunk plays in the passing game.
    We've seen the last two years what happens when you turn us into a passing team without the lead. We're not good, at all. If the team is serious about Championships they need to get Lamar weapons and they need to get him throwing a lot more in the regular season.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryBird View Post
    We've seen the last two years what happens when you turn us into a passing team without the lead. We're not good, at all. If the team is serious about Championships they need to get Lamar weapons and they need to get him throwing a lot more in the regular season.
    I'm not really sure how "throwing a lot more" during the season last year would have made any difference in the Titans game...

Quote Originally Posted by Rygar64 View Post
    I'm not really sure how "throwing a lot more" during the season last year would have made any difference in the Titans game...
    More experience throwing the football....it's not a hard concept to grasp. Lamar was 23rd in passing attempts, he's not a refined passer and can't dissect a defense. We've seen it two years now back to back in the playoffs. Load the box and we're toast because Lamar can't throw the football. It's been proven, you can all sip your purple kool-aid and pretend that him hitting open tight ends when we're up three scores against the Bungles in the regular season means something but it doesn't.

It's the same thing New England did to Goff in the Super Bowl, and everyone last year did to him as well. He can't throw it either if Gurley isn't torching a defense. There's also a lot of mileage on Ingram who's know in his 30s, which rings the alarm. We're going to see loaded boxes again this year, Tennessee has the blue print for the league and built off of the Chargers and we're headed straight for 8-8 unless this team develops some semblance of a passing game.