Page 12 of 333 FirstFirst ... 1011121314 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: New draft/FA/offseason thread

speaking of cody how bad has he been? jesus christ

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I like the 3-4 too, but you have to really consider that inside linebackers in a 3-4 are traditionally bigger, slower, and run stoppers. That is a big issue with the passing game these days and when you have TE's like Aaron Hernandez, Jimmy Graham, and Vernon Davis you need athletic linebackers who can turn and run. In a sense, the MLB position has almost become an extension of the safety position. We're seeing more and more guys in college who were SS types bulking up and dropping down to LB.

Alec Ogletree, Georgia
    Kenny Tate, Maryland
    Devonte Holloman, S. Carolina
    I think we are both of the same opinion about what we need and the evolution of the game but i think from a transitional point of view moving to a 4-3 next season would mean we'd have to turn over our LB core completely, more likely through the draft and have rookies play huge roles. I think if they did decide to move to a base 4-3 then the following year would allow the rookies more time to develop. But if we cant find a upgrade at the Nose then all bets are off lol.

Also for a team with without many dominant pass rushers the 3-4 offers a little more ability to disguise and facilitate pressure, look at Darryl Washington closing in on a 10 sack season as a 3-4 ILB, thats insane. And it's not like he's a pass rusher really, he's just explosive and they are drawing up overloads to get him free. Ellerbe has shown some of that this year, imagine him next to an Arthur Brown on 3rd down. You guys really have me thinking on the 4-3 tho lol, making some compelling arguments.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    speaking of cody how bad has he been? jesus christ
    He's been an enormous disappointment IMHO.

He and Kindle wound up being shockingly bad 2nd round picks in what most of us thought was an absolutely loaded 2010 draft.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post

He and Kindle wound up being shockingly bad 2nd round picks in what most of us thought was an absolutely loaded 2010 draft.
    Who knows what Kindle could have developed into had he not acted like a dumbass.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Cant say the Ravens didnt try, had these 2 panned out you have your dominant block eating Nose to keep the LB's clean and your explosive edge rusher to compliment Suggs. What could have been, but in a way im glad it happened because if we somehow stayed a top 10 D they might not have been as much urgency as there should be now to upgrade the athleticism and talent level on D.

Who knows what Kindle could have developed into had he not acted like a dumbass.
    Agreed.

But I just pulled up the 2010 draft...and we were one pick away from Dez Bryant (Dallas trade up), Rob Gronkowski (Pats trade up), 2 picks away from Sean Lee and Brandon Spikes was picked 4 spots after Cody.

It's just frustrating to watch some of those guys (among others later) become impact guys and it looks like all we really got as far as impact guys out of that draft is Pitta and maybe Arthur Jones if he can keep up this last 3 game stretch he's had.

We did get Boldin though so that has to be factored in. But that draft was pointed to by many as being so deep and full of really good prospects, for us to whiff as we seemed to have in that draft is disappointing...especially after the trade down with Denver once we lost out on Bryant.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    Also for a team with without many dominant pass rushers the 3-4 offers a little more ability to disguise and facilitate pressure, look at Darryl Washington closing in on a 10 sack season as a 3-4 ILB, thats insane. And it's not like he's a pass rusher really, he's just explosive and they are drawing up overloads to get him free. Ellerbe has shown some of that this year, imagine him next to an Arthur Brown on 3rd down. You guys really have me thinking on the 4-3 tho lol, making some compelling arguments.
    I do agree with what you're saying, you're making a really good argument yourself. This is really making me realize how wrong I was about Ellerbe, dude is REALLY showing what he's made of this year. I have to admit that I was wrong and others were right about him. I think he would be a difference maker in the 3-4 or the 4-3 playing inside, he just really has that much athletic ability and his instincts and physicality are much improved.

It really just depends on what pieces they can bring in... right now I want out of the 3-4 partly because we don't have 4 good linebackers (we DEFINITELY don't have 2 good ILBs at least due to injuries) and our NTs are terrible. I also think the way the NFL is going you need to always be working to get more speed and athleticism on the field on defense especially in the middle of the field. That would still be true if we stayed in a 3-4, though.

Cody is baaaad. I don't think he's salvageable, his technique is appalling, and I KNOW he's getting coached up better than that. I don't understand what went wrong with him at all.

Don't go and look at who we missed out on in the 2010 draft in favor of Cody and Kindle... it's really depressing. (Daryl Washington, Carlos Dunlap, Sean Lee, and Brandon Spikes, just to name a few...) That's why the draft is a crapshoot... hell, I liked the Sergio Kindle pick a lot when they made it and we needed a pass rusher. Just didn't work out...

Still can't quite bring myself to fault the front office though.

Those two were on everyone's radar. Kindle had some warning signs obviously, but how do you expect this knucklehead would "slip" down some steps and bust his dome?

Blog Entries

I think he has enough hype around him and has enough intangibles that some team is going to leap frog others to take him early in the draft. I would be VERY surprised if he lasted past the 10th pick.
    I guess its possible but we also got a premier position and Heisman winner in the 5th round because he didnt have that special quality. Tao I think will be a great prospect but I just cant see a team taking an ILB thats not sub 4.50 speed that early on.

Nice mock though, well see how fluid it is the closer to April.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Still can't quite bring myself to fault the front office though.

Those two were on everyone's radar. Kindle had some warning signs obviously, but how do you expect this knucklehead would "slip" down some steps and bust his dome?
    Don't get me wrong, I no anybody else in this thread I think are bashing the FO and calling for Ozzie's head.

But you can't help but look at this team, see all the holes in the roster, and not look back at that draft and notice all the talent that came into the league that year and we really didn't get much out of it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Cody is baaaad. I don't think he's salvageable, his technique is appalling, and I KNOW he's getting coached up better than that. I don't understand what went wrong with him at all.

Don't go and look at who we missed out on in the 2010 draft in favor of Cody and Kindle... it's really depressing. (Daryl Washington, Carlos Dunlap, Sean Lee, and Brandon Spikes, just to name a few...) That's why the draft is a crapshoot... hell, I liked the Sergio Kindle pick a lot when they made it and we needed a pass rusher. Just didn't work out...
    I think Cody is a giant cream puff. Seriously he is not strong at all (compared to an average NFL player).

So you have a guy that looked good at 380 + and no one could push that around in college, who is a bit taller than the average bear, so he has a disadvantage in leverage too.

Cody either needs to get fat(er), strong or both. Otherwise I am not sure I'd even want him as a backup on this team.