Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Props to Dean Pees

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    To be fair to Pees:
    JJ, Redding, Ray, and Webb, (and other depth players) gone.

BUT, someone must be held accountable for the regression/lack of development of Cody, Cary W, Jimmy S, Kruger, McPhee, Art J, need I go on?

A lot of you guys follow the team more closely than I am able to, so I'd value your input: are we drafting the wrong players or are our coaches not developing them?
    Little early to lump Jimmy Smith in with those guys considering the amount of time he has spent on the field. He showed some improvement in my opinion. Made some mistakes but was better.

The rest of that bunch Cody, Kruger, McPhee, Art J etc.... that is a combination of factors in my opinion. These guys are role players IMO being asked to do to much cause of losses to FA, injuries etc. That said, its also true you should expect to get more out of 2nd round picks in Cody and Kruger than role players but thats exactly what they are.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Come on guys, they're not really a bottom 5 defense. I don't know when yardage rankings turned into definitive assessments, but it's pretty annoying. Was the 2000 Ravens defense worse than Tennessee's because they allowed more yards? Of course not, but if we're going to act like we are with this defense we'd be calling them that. This defense has done much better in points and turnovers than yardage. Shouldn't that count for something?

Blog Entries

More yards leads to to more opportunities and takes away from Offensive time of possession. Not saying yardage is everything because when your crushing teams and the D is good like last year, they always give up 80-100 yards in playing prevent when the game is already over. In this situation it is an issue because we are not blowing teams away with this stagnant O. The D is allowing a lot of yards when games are close and that is an issue.

P.S: Pees sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    NOLA you are right, but at the same time where is the creativity? When Del rio had the jags yea they were a bad team but their defense was pretty solid, he had lemons and squeezed alot out of nothing. there's no creativity, no aggressive nature, no stunts, no confusion just a plain scheme, its eerily similar to mattisons defense.
    I agree.

Those who don't want to blame Pees need to remember their Ravens history. Not too long ago we had a guy named Greg Mattison who was a lot like Pees. Vanilla, conservative. Remember that year, how our sacks plummeted, and the 3 man rush was our achilles heel? Pagano takes over, relatively the same team, and works wonders. A lot of players that offseason talked about going back to playing "Ravens football," a not so subtle jab at Mattison's conservative defense. Now here we are, Pagano has left, Pees takes over, 3 man rush is back. We are the only team in the league that didn't go after Vick. We are the only team in the league that doesn't try to pressure a rookie QB in a pressure situation (Weeden in the 1st Browns game at home). It's pathetic. Like Mattison, Pees needs to go.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDomination View Post
    Those who don't want to blame Pees need to remember their Ravens history. Not too long ago we had a guy named Greg Mattison who was a lot like Pees. Vanilla, conservative. Remember that year, how our sacks plummeted, and the 3 man rush was our achilles heel? Pagano takes over, relatively the same team, and works wonders. A lot of players that offseason talked about going back to playing "Ravens football," a not so subtle jab at Mattison's conservative defense. Now here we are, Pagano has left, Pees takes over, 3 man rush is back. We are the only team in the league that didn't go after Vick. We are the only team in the league that doesn't try to pressure a rookie QB in a pressure situation (Weeden in the 1st Browns game at home). It's pathetic. Like Mattison, Pees needs to go.
    There are several similarities and the one excuse that was used for both was lack of talent. Yet, in 2008, Rex made it work with McAlister on IR, Rolle hurt on and off, and the combo of Fabian Washington and Frank Walker in the secondary.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    There are several similarities and the one excuse that was used for both was lack of talent. Yet, in 2008, Rex made it work with McAlister on IR, Rolle hurt on and off, and the combo of Fabian Washington and Frank Walker in the secondary.
    Pees is just being Pees and bringing the NE defense to Baltimore, and apparently it's what Harbaugh wants; his hire.

What was the difference between Adalius Thomas one year removed from being a big-time D contributor here in Baltimore just to disappear in NE? I say it was coaching philosophy.

Harbaugh has shifted Raven's football philosophy and culture on both sides of the ball, and the jury is out on whether it works in the end, but the term "Ravens Football" has a different meaning now than just a few years ago when ball control and "smash mouth" ruled on the O and the D.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DonNMass View Post
    Pees is just being Pees and bringing the NE defense to Baltimore, and apparently it's what Harbaugh wants; his hire.

What was the difference between Adalius Thomas one year removed from being a big-time D contributor here in Baltimore just to disappear in NE? I say it was coaching philosophy.

Harbaugh has shifted Raven's football philosophy and culture on both sides of the ball, and the jury is out on whether it works in the end, but the term "Ravens Football" has a different meaning now than just a few years ago when ball control and "smash mouth" ruled on the O and the D.
    as much as i want to say you're wrong, i can't, this is not what we know as Baltimore football, this defense is not baltimore's defense and Harbaugh is and should be held accountable just as much as piss pees and killa cam those are "his" guys.

Blog Entries

Dean Pee's coaching philosophy is a terrible fit for our defense that is filled with veterans that have historically been very aggressive players, and it's also not the type of philosophy that does our younger players any favors who need to be aggressive players to succeed in this league, they shouldn't be playing conservatively, which is what the likes of Jimmy Smith is doing.

Jimmy should be jamming receivers at the line and playing tight man to man coverage, because that's what he done so well in college, his size fits that style of play being 6'2, and that's just simply what his strength is! He needs to put players into better positions so that they can be productive, there may be some mistakes here and there with some big plays given up, but that's a lot better than giving me a heart attack watching us slowly and painfully leak yards after yards.

It is clear to me that this defense just isn't a good fit for conservative DC's, and it's actually debatable if conservative DC's are even a good fit for the NFL in general, with the nature of the game today. The pattern is really quite clear to me.

We have Rex Ryan in 08, the defense plays lights out, and is very similar to what our defense was last year. Mattison then takes over, and through 09-2010, while we didn't give up many yards, we barely had any production in turnovers and sacks, it was sickening at times. We then promote Pagano, a DC much more similar to Rex Ryan, and our defense comes back from the dead and was the number 3 ranked D last season, the we go back to what we were a few years back with a typical NE conservative DC, infact it's taken a even bigger step back than 09-2010.

I would have rather seen Ted Monachino given a chance, a young aggressive minded players coach.

Blog Entries

Rex had fabian and frank walker looking like prime time and champ bailey..well maybe not so much but his schemes played to the strength of the unit, as one poster above pointed out when AD left and went to NE he was never the same. Our guys don't fit a conservative scheme. Ravens defense doesn't sit back and react to the play they get up to the line of scrimmage punch you in your mouth and make the offenses change what they are doing, we don't wait around. Its just horrible to see this defense ranking in the late 20s. Smh..pees is an asshole!

Blog Entries

John Harbaugh's approach is to play it safe, when in doubt. I can't truly argue with the results. There weren't too many guys out there who were going to come in and coach up to the level of a Chuck Pagano. So, Harbaugh played it safe with Dean Pees. When they couldn't get the OC they wanted, they played it safe and kept Cameron. If somebody of consequence becomes available, rest assured that they will go after them.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

sounds like they made some adjustments and are using 4 man pressure.