Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ot: Ufc 200

Blog Entries

Re: Ot: Ufc 200

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    So, how did this supposed Best Card in UFC History turn out. Did everyone enjoy seeing Brock Lesnar beat up a 41 year old Mark Hunt? How about Anderson Silva taking a quick payday to get beat up a few rounds?
    Didn't watch it. From what I read the thing that really surprised me was Meisha Tate getting her ass kicked. It sounds like it wasn't even close. The UFC really wanted to build up a Tate/Rousey rematch and now that's all shot to hell. Can anyone outside of Rousey actually defend that title?

Blog Entries

So, how did this supposed Best Card in UFC History turn out. Did everyone enjoy seeing Brock Lesnar beat up a 41 year old Mark Hunt? How about Anderson Silva taking a quick payday to get beat up a few rounds?
    I regretted buying it pretty quickly. I thought the cards prelims were better fights. Aldo V edgar was really the only fight worth watching on the main card. Its a shame Jones didnt get to fight because if he faced that Cormier he would have destroyed him. Lesnar is just a terrible fighter. I struggled to stay awake near the end, which I think says everything about how exciting the fights were.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Didn't watch it. From what I read the thing that really surprised me was Meisha Tate getting her ass kicked. It sounds like it wasn't even close. The UFC really wanted to build up a Tate/Rousey rematch and now that's all shot to hell. Can anyone outside of Rousey actually defend that title?
    Tate had trouble making weight. I think that heavily effected her. Shes always been known for being able to take a punch and Nunes, while very good, hit her with some shots ive seen her take before that she just didnt saturday. Nunes does have a skill set that could make her a decent champ, but her vs holm will be a good fight and Holms length will probably give her the advantage.

UFC is supposedly being bought for 4 billion today. I think theyre selling high because to me UFC 100 was a much bigger and better event than UFC. I was rather unimpressed by this card.
    -JAB

So glad I didn't order that farce. The prelims were solid so I was very tempted to pull the trigger and buy the whole thing. Something just told me not to do it.

In other news, UFC has been sold to an investor group. White will stay on as President and the Fertita's will be minority owners now.

One thing is for sure, the Fertita's are having a good morning. 2 million into 4 BILLION in 16 years. Not a bad investment if you ask me.

I'm a big fan of Brock, and it's a hell of an accomplishment to do what he's done being pretty much one dimensional, with the illness issues he had, and now getting a win over Mark Hunt after a 5 year layoff. Hunt is one-dimensional as well, but he's a dangerous puncher, and he did catch Brock with a couple decent shots that he shook off. Brock said it himself, he has a good amount of work to do, mostly with his BJJ and standup. Hunt gave up his back at least twice, and Brock never even tried for a rear naked. I thought he could've ended it much sooner than he did. But still, to do what he's done on wrestling, brute size/strength, and freak athletic ability alone is damned impressive. Shame he lost those 5 years and isn't really in a position (at least for now) to go back to UFC full time to try and make himself a better rounded fighter.

I was very surprised to see Tate get so badly dominated. Nunes seems to be a very dangerous striker, and once she hurt Miesha with those first few strikes, it was over. Nunes vs Holm should be interesting. I still want to see Rhonda back in there, fully re-dedicated. At her best, I still think she's better than everyone else, other than possible Cyborg. I just wonder if we'll ever really ever see her at her best with her somewhat suspect coaching situation, and all the other things she has going on her in her life (Movies, photoshoots, interviews, questionable mental state/confidence after the loss to Holm, etc.). I could see her saying f-it and going the Gina Carano route.
    Last edited by esmd; 07-11-2016 at 09:36 AM.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    One thing is for sure, the Fertita's are having a good morning. 2 million into 4 BILLION in 16 years. Not a bad investment if you ask me.
    That's unbelievable. Just a brilliant investment.

Dana White is a very difficult situation to assess.

On one hand, the sport would not be where it is today without him. I will always have so much respect for him given what he did for the early days. The way he developed pioneers like Randy and Chuck, it was amazing.

But on the other hand, he is now poisoning the sport. He needs to go, plain and simple. But the problem is, given the one hand, how do you do the other hand?

Honestly, given that UFC wouldn't be UFC without Dana, how in the hell do you just tell him to leave? The problem is, Dana needs to get his head out of his ass and realize what he is doing and walk away. It won't happen because his ego is the size of Roy Nelson's gut, but that's what I really think.

Honestly, seeing him make decisions time and time again based on reeling in viewers and not out of merit (we will see it again when Brock gets the next title fight) just pisses me off and he's been doing it for years.

After UFC 100, things went down hill.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

I don't think Brock gets a title fight, at least not yet. The only way he gets a title fight is if he comes back full time and completely dedicates himself to the sport and his all around game. We've seen what happened to him against Carwin and Cain. Hell, the Carwin fight really should've been stopped, and I'm a Brock fan.

I agree though, if White gives him one, that would be a miscarriage of justice.

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    I don't think Brock gets a title fight, at least not yet. The only way he gets a title fight is if he comes back full time and completely dedicates himself to the sport and his all around game. We've seen what happened to him against Carwin and Cain. Hell, the Carwin fight really should've been stopped, and I'm a Brock fan.

I agree though, if White gives him one, that would be a miscarriage of justice.
    Brock Lesnar's purse for defeating Mark Hunt in the co-main event of UFC 200 last night was $2.5 million, according to Kevin Iole of Yahoo Sports.

This is not only Lesnar's biggest UFC payday but the highest guaranteed pay for any UFC fighter in history. Conor McGregor was previously guaranteed $1 million in March for UFC 196.

Lesnar will also receive money for pay-per-view sales.

Lesnar already got paid more guaranteed $ than Conor friggin McGregor, who is by all means a much bigger draw to the sport than Lesnar, so why wouldn't Lesnar be handed a title shot after 1 win against the #8 guy? It's all about $ so if a Lesnar title shot would generate enough buzz, then they would more than likely hand it to him for his next fight. There's no way in Hell his match against Hunt was a 1 off fight. I don't care what the WWE says! Brock is not finished in the UFC. IF WWE won't let him until his current contract is up (which only includes a few dates and not full time) then I can see Brock getting out of it by paying it off, or simply not giving a shit and quitting and taking on the lawsuit, but really all he would have to do is show up for the x amount of shows the contract says he has to make and be done. Either way, I'm pretty sure he wants back in the UFC more than ever since he beat Hunt and is healthy this time around.

Blog Entries

The product just isn't what it used to be. That's been the case in a number of sports over the years. Brock wouldn't last a round with Mirko in his prime. Fedor would school him. There are just very few guys of this generation that could measure up to any number of greats from the past. Between the fighters I mentioned, the Gracies, you name it.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

The product just isn't what it used to be. That's been the case in a number of sports over the years. Brock wouldn't last a round with Mirko in his prime. Fedor would school him. There are just very few guys of this generation that could measure up to any number of greats from the past. Between the fighters I mentioned, the Gracies, you name it.
    Interesting you bring up two people who got exposed as not being as good as their hype almost immediately after seeing UFC quality opponents.

Mirko maybe. Big maybe. But Gonzaga pwned him, exposing him for a week chin in only his second UFC fight. His third fight in the UFC was a snooze fest with Congo, which he again lost. Granted, he avenged the Gonzaga fight when he did a 2nd stint in the UFC but again, that second stint was marred with a three fight losing streak.

But Fedor? I don't see it. Gives up too much weight and he never handled wrestlers well.

I dont know about that Sword.

I think going back to what we talked about, given how diverse peoples games are (ie: they're no longer kickboxers fighting MMA, or BJJ black belts fighting MMA) it's no longer as big of a matchup thing is it used to be.

The diverse background of being an MMA fighter and having skills in all areas would give these guys a huge advantage. Chuck would have a hard time knocking out the entire class becuase people could trade with him and try and get him down. Guys like Tito back in the day couldn't strike with Chuck because he was a wrestling/ground and pound expert and not a stand up guy.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by nickh0801 View Post
    Brock Lesnar's purse for defeating Mark Hunt in the co-main event of UFC 200 last night was $2.5 million, according to Kevin Iole of Yahoo Sports.

This is not only Lesnar's biggest UFC payday but the highest guaranteed pay for any UFC fighter in history. Conor McGregor was previously guaranteed $1 million in March for UFC 196.

Lesnar will also receive money for pay-per-view sales.

Lesnar already got paid more guaranteed $ than Conor friggin McGregor, who is by all means a much bigger draw to the sport than Lesnar, so why wouldn't Lesnar be handed a title shot after 1 win against the #8 guy? It's all about $ so if a Lesnar title shot would generate enough buzz, then they would more than likely hand it to him for his next fight. There's no way in Hell his match against Hunt was a 1 off fight. I don't care what the WWE says! Brock is not finished in the UFC. IF WWE won't let him until his current contract is up (which only includes a few dates and not full time) then I can see Brock getting out of it by paying it off, or simply not giving a shit and quitting and taking on the lawsuit, but really all he would have to do is show up for the x amount of shows the contract says he has to make and be done. Either way, I'm pretty sure he wants back in the UFC more than ever since he beat Hunt and is healthy this time around.
    Right, but Brock will draw no matter what, title or no title. And he has 18 months remaining on his WWE deal. I don't think he goes back to UFC until at least then (full time I mean). He may have one or two "one-offs" between now and then, but I can't see Dana giving a title shot to a part timer. Now if he comes back full time after his WWE deal is up, then sure, I could see him getting a title shot.