Page 4 of 94 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Is Lamar the answer, article from Tony?

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo&Dilly View Post
    Did you watch the Cleveland game. Baker Mayfield is a promising young NFL quarterback. Lamar is a promising young sandlot athlete. There is a big difference between the two - and its a difference that will never be bridged. However, Lamar is consistent with the Ravens ability to evaluate Quarterback talent.

The Ravens can fool themselves for a couple of years into believing that Lamar's athleticism will eventually translate into success as an NFL quarterback - but they will eventually find themselves back in a time warp - back to April 2008 - pre 2008 draft - LOOKING FOR MR. RIGHT. By that time the Browns will have a couple of AFC North Championship banners hanging in the Dawg Pound - and the Ravens will be back rolling the dice on another Boller/Smith/Flacco/Taylor - as the Bradys/Rogers/Brees slip through their fingers as they have in the past. But - rest assured - the Ravens will have added a couple of more stud run stuffing nose tackles.
    Wait, so you point to the Cleveland game, a game that the Ravens won to get in the playoffs as a watermark for how Mayfield is so much better. Then you talk about his multiple AFC North crowns. Well right now Lamar has 1 AFC North crown in one year. Your beating the drum for Mayfield's ability to do what Lamar has already done.

There were 5 rookies taken in the first round in 2018 and Lamar Jackson's completion percentage was 2nd. He was the only rookie to lead a team to the play-offs. I'm less worried about his ability as a passer and more worried about the coach's ability to let him pass. In the play-off loss he threw for 2 TD's in the 4th quarter in the hurry up offense. He's not the first QB to get it going in hurry up. The Steelers have done it to us a few times. And don't tell me it was because of prevent because the play where he scrambled and found Dixon was a blitz. The play TD pass to Crab falling forward in the corner was a tight goal line window.

At the end of the day, if Lamar is our version of Steve McNair, I'm cool with that. He's got work to do, but the man has never shied away from that. He's a leader and he's winning while he figures it out. We always talk about the tape defenses get on him, but discount the growth he has shown and has continued to show.

It's crazy to see a fan base so anxious to replace a rookie QB who just led his team to the playoffs. I sure would like to replace James Hurst and Skura/Bozeman.

Quote Originally Posted by Smackums View Post
    Wait, so you point to the Cleveland game, a game that the Ravens won to get in the playoffs as a watermark for how Mayfield is so much better. Then you talk about his multiple AFC North crowns. Well right now Lamar has 1 AFC North crown in one year. Your beating the drum for Mayfield's ability to do what Lamar has already done.

There were 5 rookies taken in the first round in 2018 and Lamar Jackson's completion percentage was 2nd. He was the only rookie to lead a team to the play-offs. I'm less worried about his ability as a passer and more worried about the coach's ability to let him pass. In the play-off loss he threw for 2 TD's in the 4th quarter in the hurry up offense. He's not the first QB to get it going in hurry up. The Steelers have done it to us a few times. And don't tell me it was because of prevent because the play where he scrambled and found Dixon was a blitz. The play TD pass to Crab falling forward in the corner was a tight goal line window.

At the end of the day, if Lamar is our version of Steve McNair, I'm cool with that. He's got work to do, but the man has never shied away from that. He's a leader and he's winning while he figures it out. We always talk about the tape defenses get on him, but discount the growth he has shown and has continued to show.

It's crazy to see a fan base so anxious to replace a rookie QB who just led his team to the playoffs. I sure would like to replace James Hurst and Skura/Bozeman.
    Well we replaced a Super Bowl winning QB the next year...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    I'm really astonished at how some Ravens fans here have been taken in by Lamar.
    Love it! Lamar as con-man. He's probably bilking old ladies out of their pension funds this offseason.

Once the freak scheduling of the five worst defenses over five games was over, Lamar reverted to the mediocrity which he displayed over the preseason. The Chargers did exactly what many of us predicted after the fluke loss due to the receiver's ill-played stretch out fumbling the game away.
    Fluke loss! Held to 10 pts at home and gave up 22.

Was the Chiefs victory in week 14 a fluke win?

Their DC analyzed the gimmickry in the Lamar offense and totally shut it down in the rematch in the playoffs. Minus 2 yards passing, limited rushing and multiple fumbles was not only the killer for the 2018, but the likely template for double digit losses for 2019. DC's from Pittsburgh, Cleveland, LA Rams, Seattle, New England and all the other NFL opponents will be licking their chops to follow suit: it's likely going to be a very long season
    Ok: we'll put your prediction for 2019 down as 6-10? Is that right? Or worse?

I should start taking notes, given the high accuracy of most of the predictions on this board last offseason.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    Just to clarify, that was the question, not my response to it.
    Thanks. I was looking for the article and never did find it. I saw your answer and thought there was something more based on the thread.

I thought that was a good honest answer. I'm higher on Lamar Jackson then you seem to be but I truly believe this is going to be a process and it could be 2 years before we see how it plays out. The Ravens won less games in Flacco's second season but he was so much improved. In fact I think that was his second highest QB rating for a season in his career. That's the jump I'm expecting when we look back at year 2 for Lamar Jackson. If we don't see that Flacco/Trubisky/Cutler improvement year over year then I'm going to start doubt his long term future

Blog Entries

Gents while I am new here I've been a poster elsewhere for years.

I've been a football official for 22 years. That includes running my own crew for more than 10. Ive covered high school in Maryland, Georgia, and youth football in both states. I was offered college opportunities at the D3 level but declined due to distance, compensation, and scheduling.

In addition, I love the Ravens, NFL, and obviously college football. I guess you could say I love the game.

I agree with Tony's take on Lamar and rather than proclaiming him a bust to draw the rage of his avid fans I will say the chance of being anything more than mediocre is a long shot.

First, he has stone like hands and fumbles a ton. Fumbling 1-2 times per game is just plain unacceptable. I mean he led the league in just 7 games and did it on a strip, a snap, and a runnIng play.

Second, he is a poor inaccurate passer and the interceptions are likely to pile up. Looking at Brees, Stafford, Rodgers, Mike Vick, and Flacco the average improvement in completion percentage is approximately 3% points. Stafford is above the norm at 6% and hardly a comparable to Lamar.

Third, I agree with the muscle memory and instincts to take one read and run. This offense is not sustainable as we saw it long term.

Finally, the likelihood of a serious injury is very high. As it was he got beat up 3 times this season.

You need Lamar to improve in all of these areas and more than modestly.

Just my 2 cents ....Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Roll Tide View Post
    I agree with Tony's take on Lamar and rather than proclaiming him a bust to draw the rage of his avid fans I will say the chance of being anything more than mediocre is a long shot.

First, he has stone like hands and fumbles a ton. Fumbling 1-2 times per game is just plain unacceptable. I mean he led the league in just 7 games and did it on a strip, a snap, and a runnIng play.

Second, he is a poor inaccurate passer and the interceptions are likely to pile up. Looking at Brees, Stafford, Rodgers, Mike Vick, and Flacco the average improvement in completion percentage is approximately 3% points. Stafford is above the norm at 6% and hardly a comparable to Lamar.

Third, I agree with the muscle memory and instincts to take one read and run. This offense is not sustainable as we saw it long term.

Finally, the likelihood of a serious injury is very high. As it was he got beat up 3 times this season.
    I'd agree that 1, 2, and 4 are big concerns. I don't think it's fair to say he's a one read and run QB though. He often makes multiple reads in the pocket. When he does leave the pocket he often resets his eyes downfield after escaping pressure.

Others have pointed out that a full season to implement this offseason (as opposed to a midseason change necessitated by injury) could help some of the fumbling. I'm on the fence about that one.

But if someone thinks he's likely to be accurate, that's wishful thinking. And he definitely needs to take fewer hits, which I'm not confident he will do, at least not to a sufficient degree.

I've been a football official for 22 years. That includes running my own crew for more than 10. Ive covered high school in Maryland, Georgia, and youth football in both states. I was offered college opportunities at the D3 level but declined due to distance, compensation, and scheduling.

In addition, I love the Ravens, NFL, and obviously college football. I guess you could say I love the game.

You need Lamar to improve in all of these areas and more than modestly.

Just my 2 cents ....Cheers
    First ...Welcome! Great to have you.
    Second ....excellent take. You’re gonna get blasted by some ....but I appreciate an honest, informed take.

Keep up the posting. Enjoy!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    First ...Welcome! Great to have you.
    Second ....excellent take. You’re gonna get blasted by some ....but I appreciate an honest, informed take.

Keep up the posting. Enjoy!

Thanks ...I'm glad to be here. I'm confused as to why the system won't allow me to set up my profile. Sorry if it's off topic.

Cheers

Thanks ...I'm glad to be here. I'm confused as to why the system won't allow me to set up my profile. Sorry if it's off topic.

Cheers
    That would be a question for one of mods. Try Wicked Solo or Greg.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TL24x7 View Post
    Just to clarify, that was the question, not my response to it.
    I got it. I was referring to the question. But I would like to ask you about the muscle memory thing: 22-year muscle memory? So LJ was born throwing the ball? I would think if anyone can improve is a 21-year old rookie.

I've been a football official for 22 years. That includes running my own crew for more than 10. Ive covered high school in Maryland, Georgia, and youth football in both states.
    Welcome! So great to have yet another knowledgeable football person on board.

With any luck you'll turn out to be completely mistaken on Lamar.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cleo&Dilly View Post
    Did you watch the Cleveland game. Baker Mayfield is a promising young NFL quarterback. Lamar is a promising young sandlot athlete. There is a big difference between the two - and its a difference that will never be bridged. However, Lamar is consistent with the Ravens ability to evaluate Quarterback talent.

The Ravens can fool themselves for a couple of years into believing that Lamar's athleticism will eventually translate into success as an NFL quarterback - but they will eventually find themselves back in a time warp - back to April 2008 - pre 2008 draft - LOOKING FOR MR. RIGHT. By that time the Browns will have a couple of AFC North Championship banners hanging in the Dawg Pound - and the Ravens will be back rolling the dice on another Boller/Smith/Flacco/Taylor - as the Bradys/Rogers/Brees slip through their fingers as they have in the past. But - rest assured - the Ravens will have added a couple of more stud run stuffing nose tackles.
    Quote Originally Posted by In2deep View Post
    Excellent!!! at least one of the enlightened on here. I see us .500 or below next year ,bottom feeders for sure in the AFC North. Don' worry though , the PC crew will blame the OC, Harbaugh, DC, and anyone else they can point a finger at, but not the QB!
    There is no way the Ravens are bottom feeders with this defense and running game. We get it, you will stamp your feet and hold your breath until the Ravens have a fantasy QB like Phil Rivers or Matt Ryan, who never win anything.