Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2019 cap another great article by our own Brian McFarland

https://russellstreetreport.com/2018...eason-preview/

Once again he's terrific at understanding cap stuff.

The short of the article...Assuming cap goes up normal amount, and before any other cuts/restructures/resignings, and taking into account EFA/RFA/incentives, we will likely have around a little less than $9 million in space.

The good thing is that as we all know, there are quite a few players we can cut that will give us more money. I doubt they make all these cuts, but Weddle/Jimmy/Carr and Yanda/Joe that would free up a lot more money.

As we are kind of in limbo land with when we will start looking towards 2019 or not, it's good stuff.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Re: 2019 cap another great article by our own Brian McFarland

If they purge and focus the money on either carrying it over or signing a big gun with the understanding it wont be to win next year we'll be in good shape. We can get rid of some big contracts and focus on developing younger players while hopefully having better drafts. May not be competitive for a few years, but that's okay wit hme if you truly want to rebuild.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    If they purge and focus the money on either carrying it over or signing a big gun with the understanding it wont be to win next year we'll be in good shape. We can get rid of some big contracts and focus on developing younger players while hopefully having better drafts. May not be competitive for a few years, but that's okay wit hme if you truly want to rebuild.
    agreed.

I still think you need to cut BWill. I know it hurts the cap with dead money, but he's too symbolic of our current direction, staff and over arching philosophy... He's like an infected wound, amputate to save the team
    Burn it down

Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

I don't care if it will save us money, excepting anything insane/act of God happening, anyone saying Yanda will be cut or could be cut just doesn't know what they are talking about. At 150% his cap value he is still a bargain and single handedly holding the line together.

Blog Entries

Eric promised to fix the cap problem and bad contracts. There is hope.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamjacks View Post
    I don't care if it will save us money, excepting anything insane/act of God happening, anyone saying Yanda will be cut or could be cut just doesn't know what they are talking about. At 150% his cap value he is still a bargain and single handedly holding the line together.
    you dont cut yanda, but you have to find his replacement NOW. not in 2 years. He's at the point in his career with age and injuries where hes just as likely to fall off the cliff as he is to continue to play well.

We need 3 interior lineman asap
    Burn it down

Blog Entries

Yes, immediately.

Just like Weddle with James, oh wait we got an old TE...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    agreed.

I still think you need to cut BWill. I know it hurts the cap with dead money, but he's too symbolic of our current direction, staff and over arching philosophy... He's like an infected wound, amputate to save the team
    Your cap savings on Bwill is negative 700k. For that price, I think it is worth it. You get the contract off the books and then you have the space to sign or tag Pierce, if you choose to the following year. Honestly the only guy on his list of potential cap casualties that I dont want to see go is Snead. He is young and they can build with him.

Blog Entries

I really hope for a full purge. We need a clean slate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Your cap savings on Bwill is negative 700k. For that price, I think it is worth it. You get the contract off the books and then you have the space to sign or tag Pierce, if you choose to the following year. Honestly the only guy on his list of potential cap casualties that I dont want to see go is Snead. He is young and they can build with him.
    Not a chance in hell we tag Pierce, they have learned their lesson about giving one dimensional DTs a big contract. The franchise number for a DL will probably be in the high teens

Maybe a new coaching staff gets better use out of BWill.

Quote Originally Posted by stevez51 View Post
    Maybe a new coaching staff gets better use out of BWill.
    This. I don't think the team should make any long-term roster decisions (including on whether to jettison Flacco or not), until the new coaching staff comes in and does their own evaluation of the talent on the team. It is indeed possible that a fresh set of eyes, or a different scheme, makes players more productive (and vice versa).