Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are you a Musician? What do you play?

So i have always thougt that there could be so many people out there that could have been musically gifted but they have never given it a chance. Well i have always wanted to play the piano, so im looking into getting a keyboard with all this down time. Just curious if anyone has played piano and has tips, or maybe even what to buy. Definitely not going to spend a lot of money though.

Also, we can use this as just a "What do you Play" type of thread and share.
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Re: Are you a Musician? What do you play?

I self taught a lot of piano as a kid. I wish I had taken lessons and learned to read music but short of being forced as a young kid to learn I think I might have done better if I had been taught in a way that was more built around my strengths which was my ear and the fundamentals like cords on the piano. I would learn by rote to play some songs with basic sheet music reading skills and was able to pick out some tunes on the piano. Some people just have a gift when it comes to piano.

I self taught drums in my 40's and was okay enough to play a gig at a crab feast. I have to say one of the most enjoyable things I ever did in my life and makes me wish I had a family that indulged my desire to learn to play as a kid. Not many parent want to be in a house with a kid banging on a drumset in the basement. Drums make a shit load of noise that carries a lot unless you have a room set up to handle it.

Blog Entries

I’ve been playing guitar for like 25 years, drums and bass as well. Although I haven’t had a lot of time to play consistently for the last year or two.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Surrounded by Cousin Eddies in Cincitucky (get me out of this HELLHOLE!)

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    So i have always thougt that there could be so many people out there that could have been musically gifted but they have never given it a chance. Well i have always wanted to play the piano, so im looking into getting a keyboard with all this down time. Just curious if anyone has played piano and has tips, or maybe even what to buy. Definitely not going to spend a lot of money though.

Also, we can use this as just a "What do you Play" type of thread and share.
    I've been teaching/playing music, all instruments for 40+ years. Got involved in HS and earned a degree in Music Ed at the Cincinnati Conservatory (top 5 music school, but I hate this shithole town). Am classically trained, but my heart is in R&R, notably Progressive Rock, ELP, Rush, Pink Floyd, Tull, etc.

Hobby is collecting R&R memorabilia, as much signed and authenticated as possible.

I'll be happy to help you or anyone else here get started or further your skills.

One piece of advise (music teachers will hate me for this): Your practice time at home is 100X more important than the half hour you spend with a teacher. Have taught hundreds of students that attend lessons regularly, then do nothing at home and get nowhere. On the other hand, I've had a few students that took from me for a few months, and became pretty good musicians due to the many hours polishing material at home. A teacher is only as good as the what the student does in between lessons.

Another idea that teachers would kill me for suggesting: There are a multitude of great YouTube videos to learn just about anything. My daughter, who can read music really well, but is busy, is learning Ukulele on YouTube and kicking ass. Just played "Blackbird" by the Beatles, and Beach Boys "God Only Knows"

Again, happy to answer anyone's questions here.

Took piano lessons for 7 years. Hated reading music but could and still can play from ear. I miss it!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

For me...

Guitar almost 30 years
    Piano 20 years
    Drums about 12 years
    Bass 5 years

Self taught everything but guitar. For me personally, drums were by far the hardest to learn, like the others weren’t even close in terms of difficulty and being able to just play basic stuff. I do wish I had take lessons on that.

Tons of resources out there online now to help you out with learning. If you have the means, getting a teacher for a few sessions to orient yourself and to learn the basics definitely helps.

I have a music performance degree in percussion. About all I do with it is play in a couple community bands and sometimes at church though.

Otherwise, sing a little bit here and there, and learned enough piano to pass the proficiency test all music majors at Penn State had to do.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Trombone/bass trombone for 27 years! And, should this NFL season come back to normal, I'll be performing for my 24th season in the Marching Ravens.

Shameless plug - we haven't held our auditions yet, and are waiting to see when they will happen. That was supposed to happen this coming Saturday, but obviously has been postponed. Anyone who's interested can still sign up at https://www.baltimoreravens.com/fans...ens/auditions/

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

I play guitar but not that great so I picked up the bass. While in a sense it is easier than guitar there is a difference that is hard to quantify,

awesome to see some of you guys putting those talents to use. Im working on finding a keyboard to start, but not sure if spending 300$ in this time is very smart.
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

awesome to see some of you guys putting those talents to use. Im working on finding a keyboard to start, but not sure if spending 300$ in this time is very smart.
    Got a laptop with a touch screen? It's not quite the same, but I'm sure there's a program out there for exactly that purpose.

Mt. Arrogance in the middle of the .11 rolling acres of The Windbag Estates

Look for something on eBay or Facebook (Craig's List, etc). You don't need a really nice instrument to start but want something more than a toy. When I picked up the bass I found an Ibanez on eBay that sold for $700-800 years ago new. I bought it for $100. It plays and sounds great but it is beaten up from years of use.

Good luck with it.