Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Anyone still doubt the Politics of Covid?

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    Are you CERTAIN that the $37.65 or $16.90 for that matter? number is not indexed to MD minimum wage, or a federal minimum wage?

The $16.90 number is 7/3rds of federal minimum wage. Many, including most of not all public sector unions wages are indexed in that manner to minimum wage. If YOUR union doesn’t operate that way it would be the exception, not the rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This may be so. But I’ve never heard it refers to that way in any of our money meetings. Way back when I got in min wage was $4.25. My starting wage was 7.86. So almost double? Our starting pay has risen every contract to match the top wage. It’s always been 45% of top out.

Anyone still doubt the Politics of Covid?

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Have you ever owned a business or know anyone who does?

Ask them what happens when the cost of wages double.
    I have hired over 50 people while in consulting services. 7 while in retail and 3 for my own business. I think that would allow me to talk about costs. Staffing costs can be significant but you adjusted your pricing model to make it work.
    Your competitors have to adjust their costs too.

Not that I’m for a universal $15 min wage but ..when they raised the min wage to $11 in Md was there mass unemployment? Did prices skyrocket? No ? Ah. Well then. I guess the market adjusts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LittleG View Post
    I have hired over 50 people while in consulting services. 7 while in retail and 3 for my own business. I think that would allow me to talk about costs. Staffing costs can be significant but you adjusted your pricing model to make it work.
    Your competitors have to adjust their costs too.
    Great. So you understand doubling labor cost will double cost to the consumer which will have a ripple affect and cause prices of everything to raise.

Well done!

Great. So you understand doubling labor cost will double cost to the consumer which will have a ripple affect and cause prices of everything to raise.

Well done!
    By that logic in MD where min wage is $11 the price of a Whopper a should be about $8? Meal maybe $12? Nope.

Maybe ....maybe $1 more. And this is during Covid.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    By that logic in MD where min wage is $11 the price of a Whopper a should be about $8? Meal maybe $12? Nope.

Maybe ....maybe $1 more. And this is during Covid.

You mean the places so limited in business they drastically cut back their staff? Good point

Some critical thinking might do you some good.

Blog Entries

You mean the places so limited in business they drastically cut back their staff? Good point

If they were capable of it, these conversations wouldn't even be necessary.

If they were capable of shame, they would be embarrassed.

Well done!
    Labor costs aren’t the only costs to a business. At the most (in consulting where you are basically supplying labor), the cost increase would be 50%. But most of those businesses don’t pay minimum wage.

For businesses like say a retail business, goods (food/clothing etc), cost of premises, insurance and other costs are far greater than wages. Maybe an increase of 20% max.

It’s not like min wage went to $11 in Feb. I mean what damn world do you live in?? It was $10.10 prior. So $.90 bankrupt business? GTFoh. Dude take off the red glasses and pick your head up. This is the real world. It’s not that bad. It’s not all gloom. The suns gonna come up tomorrow. You guys.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    It’s not like min wage went to $11 in Feb. I mean what damn world do you live in?? It was $10.10 prior. So $.90 bankrupt business? GTFoh. Dude take off the red glasses and pick your head up. This is the real world. It’s not that bad. It’s not all gloom. The suns gonna come up tomorrow. You guys.

You said wages went up during COVID and the end product didn’t. I explained why. Take off the dunce cap and maybe you could see that.

Blog Entries

The issue is that federally mandated wage increases will primarily impact low-skill workers because those businesses will ramp up research and development for automation, self serve, robotics, etc.

Fast food restaurants are a great example.

Don’t need to pay for cashiers anymore when I have a row of 10 point of sale terminals for customers to select what they want and pay there.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    The issue is that federally mandated wage increases will primarily impact low-skill workers because those businesses will ramp up research and development for automation, self serve, robotics, etc.

Fast food restaurants are a great example.

Don’t need to pay for cashiers anymore when I have a row of 10 point of sale terminals for customers to select what they want and pay there.

Sure. Groc stores have been doing that for years. It’s advancement. Why pay benifits to a human if a machine can do it. Gimme one human to maintain the machines and I get 20 machines. More profit for me. Really has zero to do with min wage. It’s bottom line.