Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens Game Rescheduled

The local ABC affiliate is known for being the doom and gloom channel.

Quote Originally Posted by PARavensJeff View Post
    Yea, Florio is a smart ass but his stuff is right on, perhaps the best NFL (non team related of course) on the net. + you're correct, he has been saying the Ravens are the darhorse in the North.

I would have to agree with you, my favorite site is profootballtalk as well. They really don't bs around, and there's not much nonsense, just straight forward info. Florio is a quite the smart ass but he always come through with info well before any or most of the major media outlets do.
    Section 517 since 2001!!!! Real fans sit real high!!!![

I have two problems with this.

1) If the game doesn't go ahead at all (i.e. Reliant Stadium gets blown away and they re-schedule for another week) then my fantasy team are shot as I've got the Ravens D.
    2) Monday is my wedding anniversary and I'm taking the wife out for a swanky meal. I don't think she'll take well to me telling her to 'hurry up, the game kicks off in five minutes', leaving me with no alternative other than to record the game and take Tuesday morning off work to watch it.

Quote Originally Posted by FellsPointRaven View Post
    I have two problems with this.

1) If the game doesn't go ahead at all (i.e. Reliant Stadium gets blown away and they re-schedule for another week) then my fantasy team are shot as I've got the Ravens D.
    2) Monday is my wedding anniversary and I'm taking the wife out for a swanky meal. I don't think she'll take well to me telling her to 'hurry up, the game kicks off in five minutes', leaving me with no alternative other than to record the game and take Tuesday morning off work to watch it.
    Fells...We never end up going out on our actual Anniversary unless it is on Friday and Saturday. Why can't you guys just move it to Tuesday? Our Anniversary was last Monday but we went out last Saturday. Still full from Fogo's

HoustonRaven....My degree is in Meteorology so I know a bit about Hurricanes. You do sound like you are educated about Hurricanes and especially about how they affect Galveston and Houston. But remember, what ever is being forecasted now is not what will happen. These storms are just way too unpredictable to nail down the exact path and movement. The meteorology world has come a long, long way but it is not to the point where you can predict down to 30 miles of difference. Also, you never know when these storms will break away from the general atmospheric flow and just stop and spin over top an area for a few days.

My point is that although the forecast says it will fine on Sunday there is always the chance that it is not. The most likely scenario is that the storm is out of there by Sunday morning but there is a small percentage chance that it doesn't. I am a poker player and I know about small percentages. I am notorius for getting drawn out on the river when my opponents have 2 outs which is equivalent to a 5% chance.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Cat 2 is almost routine here and Houston sits 75 miles inland. Even it gets up to a Cat 3, the winds inland wont be high enough to create any significant damage to the stadium.
    With all due respect to a Houston area resident, your 75 mile number is way, way off. I have spent a lot of time in Houston over my career, particularly Galveston, Freeport, Clear Lake, and I know the area well, including how it weathers huge rainstorms. It's 50 miles from Galveston to Reliant Stadium, over relatively flat & low-lying land. But if the storm comes up Galveston Bay, all hell could break loose. It could be a similar storm surge than that generated by Katrina, which hit the Rigolets and Lake Pontchartrain, causing the water pressure that broke the levees. The distance from Reliant Stadium to Clear Lake area on Galveston Bay is under 30 miles, and it's about 20 miles from La Porte on Galveston Bay to downtown Houston.

Reliant Stadium per se shouldn't be flooded in any event, although it would be susceptible to wind damage - but metro Houston can be hit hard with damage and power losses which could impact playing the game on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by WxKevin View Post
    They should have just played the game here! I am leaving for Denver Monday morning. I better be able to find a place out there to watch it or the NFL is in trouble with me.
    Kevin: I am also in the Denver area and torn as to sticking around or going home. I had planned to meet up with Sykesville Ravens Fan in Breckinridge to watch the game on Sunday, but now that's out. I am currently scheduled to fly back on Monday 5:20 pm, which would cause me to miss the game. I would delay returning another day in order to catch the game on Monday night, but I don't know what good that would do - with ESPN blocking satellite TV broadcast of the game and CBS limiting coverage to Ravens & Texans regional stations.

If something works out with the ESPN issue, we could hook up with Denver John down below or Sykesville Ravens Fan up in the mountains. Otherwise: set the DVR (which I will have to figure out how to handle remotely).
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

WxKevin,

Thanks for the info. And I too play poker! ;) I should add a caveat to my posts that reads "...but there is always a chance that things could get worse".

A few things that are making me think this will be relatively minor (emphasis on the word relatively).... pressure is steady / rising as the storm approaches and inland winds probably wont get higher then 65 mph.

Mista T,

Houston proper sits 40 miles above sea level. Yes, there are a few low lying areas, but by and large this city drains very well given its location to Galveston Bay.

The low lying areas are already evacuated as of early yesterday.

I'm glad I live in Baltimore and don't have to worry about missing the game, although I have SERIOUS reservations about whether or not there will even be a game on Monday night.
    Lady Raven (aka Slinky)

*the poster formerly known as Raven31

Save The Last Dance (1/6/2013) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzZbWHjyqJY

Mile High Miracle (1/12/2013) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21ugOF34jhA

As the token California resident I have to call BULL@$%^!!!!!!

I only get 16 (hopefully more) fracking games a year?!?!
    If ESPN wants to keep all Monday night games on their @$%& channel put the game in ESPN2 or something.

Godsonofamotherlessgoatfuc*ers#hitsatin!
    Keeping the purple flowing way out on the West Coast!

Quote Originally Posted by Khaine View Post
    As the token California resident I have to call BULL@$%^!!!!!!

I only get 16 (hopefully more) fracking games a year?!?!
    If ESPN wants to keep all Monday night games on their @$%& channel put the game in ESPN2 or something.

Godsonofamotherlessgoatfuc*ers#hitsatin!
    "Fracking"? Your name isn't Hank is it?

You should email ESPN and complain. Given the extenuating circumstances they should allow the game to run on Sunday Ticket so out of town Ravens/Texans fans can see the game. If enough people write in they may reconsider...

11. Re: Ravens Game Rescheduled

Here's ESPN BS canned response:
    "Thank you for contacting ESPN.

Due to the importance of allowing the Houston area to focus on its recovery from the expected arrival of Hurricane Ike on Friday, the Houston Texans' home game Sunday against the Baltimore Ravens has been re-scheduled for Monday night at Reliant Stadium at 7:30 PM Houston time (8:30 PM ET).

The game originally was scheduled to be played on Sunday, September 14 at 3:15 PM Houston Time (4:15 PM ET).

The Texans-Ravens Monday night game will be televised on local CBS stations in the primary and secondary markets of the Texans (Houston, Beaumont-Port Arthur, and Bryan, Texas) and the Ravens (Baltimore; Washington, DC; Salisbury, MD; and Harrisburg, PA).

ESPN has exclusive primetime rights for Monday Night Football. We aplogize for any inconvience this may have caused to DIRECTV subscribers.

sincerely,

ESPN Viewer Response Team"

BTW, I'm in Charleston, SC and a DirecTV Sunday Ticket subscriber

Quote Originally Posted by FellsPointRaven View Post
    "Fracking"? Your name isn't Hank is it?

You should email ESPN and complain. Given the extenuating circumstances they should allow the game to run on Sunday Ticket so out of town Ravens/Texans fans can see the game. If enough people write in they may reconsider...
    http://espn.go.com/sitetools/s/contact/espntv.html
    Here is the link to complain... I doubt it'll do a huellova lot of good but I'm willing to try.

I emailed, I bitched... I'm sending the link to folks I know who will complain as well. Man, this sucks... I spend all week looking forward to Ravens games... and to be robbed like this pisses me off. :(

And no, I am not a Hank... ;)
    Keeping the purple flowing way out on the West Coast!