Page 200 of 202 FirstFirst ... 198199200201202 LastLast
Results 2,389 to 2,400 of 2413
    Blog Entries

Re: Official 2015 NFL Draft Thread

Quote Originally Posted by PerpetuallyBored74 View Post
    You're right, but Waller's weight and speed advantage makes him better suited for our WCO running slants over the middle, etc., especially Trestman's screen heavy version of it, because Waller is the better blocker too.
    My gut tells me that after Smith and Perriman, Aiken and Campanaro will split the #3 spot, while Brown, Butler and Waller will compete for the remaining spots. Robinson will be the odd man out since Perriman, Waller, and even Smith (presumably still) and Campanaro have excellent speed. And yes, I believe we either carry 6 and Butler goes to the PS, or we carry those 7.
    I think the udfa carter will challenge on a special teams return basis. Could squeeze a non special teams guy out.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    Aaron Wilson @RavensInsider · 16m 16 minutes ago

ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr., a a Calvert Hall alum who lives Jarrettsville, gave the Ravens an A-minus on their draft class

I agree with Mel, this was an A draft. A really complete top-to-bottom performance that could yield a record number of quality contributors.

3. Re: Official 2015 NFL Draft Thread

Just got back in town and I checked while out of town yesterday. HOLY MOLY!!!! The ravens F'ing NAILED this draft. I only got one pick right and that was Tray Walker. I got the first round position right. But I'm proud of the front office they nailed this draft IMO.

Gotta say even though I wanted them to use most of the picks to fill holes and provide depth, I didn't expect them to actually use 9 picks.

Also, I have to believe that not drafting a ILB (in an admittedly weak class) means they still have faith in Arthur Brown to turn things around.

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Also, I have to believe that not drafting a ILB (in an admittedly weak class) means they still have faith in Arthur Brown to turn things around.
    not to be combative, but why do you say that? I think the book is still out on Brown. We havent really seen him on the field to have a feel for how is doing. i know he hasnt been active much, but thats because he is the 3-4 ILB on the team and he doesnt play ST's. Thus, Albert McClellan gets the nod over him week-in and week-out. I truly think if (god forbid) something were to happen to one of our starting ILBs, Brown would get a lot of playing time. Then we can fairly evaluate him.

That being said, Matt Elam needs to "turn things around." We've seen him out on the field blowing coverages and missing tackles.
    The Dude Abides

Quote Originally Posted by Gato_Papi View Post
    not to be combative, but why do you say that? I think the book is still out on Brown. We havent really seen him on the field to have a feel for how is doing. i know he hasnt been active much, but thats because he is the 3-4 ILB on the team and he doesnt play ST's. Thus, Albert McClellan gets the nod over him week-in and week-out. I truly think if (god forbid) something were to happen to one of our starting ILBs, Brown would get a lot of playing time. Then we can fairly evaluate him.

That being said, Matt Elam needs to "turn things around." We've seen him out on the field blowing coverages and missing tackles.
    Maybe I should have worded it better. By turning it around I mean the lack of effort to find another ILB could mean they think Brown still has a chance to contribute and live up to his 2nd Round status.

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Maybe I should have worded it better. By turning it around I mean the lack of effort to find another ILB could mean they think Brown still has a chance to contribute and live up to his 2nd Round status.
    Ah. Gotcha! Admittedly, while Im not an Art Brown apologist, I am frustrated over this boards hatred for him. And I agree with you. I honestly think the Ravens like him. He just isnt better than D Smith or CJ (they are both reallllly good).
    The Dude Abides

Blog Entries

The Arthur Brown situation is just unfortunate timing. They signed Daryl Smith to fill a need before the draft. However, I'm not sure they even expected him to perform that well at his age. Dean Pees wants players out there he can trust in the system and to make the proper adjustments. That wasn't going to be Arthur Brown. It was going to be CJ Mosely, a far more polished prospect.

The issue with Brown is that he is suited for the role that Mosely is now playing. It's the role that Ray played and it's how Baltimore plays it's linebackers. There's a trasher and a cleaner upper. Bart Scott, Dannell Ellerbe, Ed Hartwell, they were all trashers. Ray was the cleaner upper. Arthur Brown was a cleaner upper, but Smith was in his way and then they drafted Mosely.

They want to experiment with putting Mosely and Brown alongside each other, much like San Fransisco did with Bowman and Willis. That's why they've been loading up on big bodies up front to keep them clean. Besides, Smith is clearly slowing down.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Now that the entire draft is over, I am overall please with it. There were a few surprises. I truly thought Ray was the target instead of Dupree and I thought that Jay Ajayi's knee issues were overblown.

I've calmed down a little on Breshad Perriman, because although he still needs work, there are several things that he does well as a prospect, that Torrey just didn't do well coming out of Maryland. Perriman is a far better hands catcher than Torrey was, and made more attempts to catch with his hands than Torrey did. You don't see Perriman letting passes get into his body nearly as often. His body control is better. His ball judgment is better. His attacking mentality is better. He still needs work, but I can now see why he was considered worthy of that pick. Remember, the Ravens had a first round grade on Torrey Smith and Perriman, in some ways, is a better prospect than Torrey.

I think Maxx Williams was the pick that we all wanted to see and were glad to have right. We are now going to get to see what it would have been like for Todd Heap to catch passes from Joe Flacco his entire career.

The Carl Davis pick will pay immediate dividends along the D-Line rotation. Davis, Jernigan and Williams are going to wreck shop by the end of the season. Maybe not at the beginning, but once these three gel together and with proper support from other linemen in the rotation, teams will once again have to throw 40 times to stand a chance against Baltimore. This time, hopefully the Ravens can be healthier on the back end.

I actually like the Waller pick better than the Streeter pick, because Waller actually shows the ability to be successful consistently when that ball is in the air. Body positioning, field awareness...and just being able to snatch the ball. Streeter really didn't have all of that. Waller might need a year on the practice squad unless he contributes on special teams though.

The Za'Darius Smith pick is a meat and potatoes pick. Unfortunately, this comes off as the sort of pick where the guy is good, but not great and thus ends up making more money elsewhere when his contract expires. So, enjoy him while he's here.

I'm not as enthused about Tray Walker as some, but I'm willing to see how he pans out.

I wouldn't expect much from Nick Boyle.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post

The Za'Darius Smith pick is a meat and potatoes pick. Unfortunately, this comes off as the sort of pick where the guy is good, but not great and thus ends up making more money elsewhere when his contract expires. So, enjoy him while he's here. .
    :word

It's funny that we can identify right away the guys who will only be here for 3-4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I thought that Jay Ajayi's knee issues were overblown.
    I don't think that played a role in who the Ravens wanted. I think they like what Allen can do both running the ball and receiving in Trestman's offense. I also think Ajayi was downgraded by the Ravens because he fumbles a lot and Harbaugh hates that as much as anything. The nfl.com scouting report on Ajayi: Ball-security concerns with 11 fumbles over last 597 carries. Pass-protection technique needs improvement. Tore his ACL in 2011. Was arrested for stealing sweatpants in 2011. That just doesn't sound like a Ravens' kind of player. Even if a lot of us on this board had him valued highly, I don't think the Ravens did.