Page 39 of 40 FirstFirst ... 37383940 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: 2021 Free Agent Wide Receivers

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I didn't realise Tate was so washed up. He used to be a very good player !
    leach, keep in mind that Tate, drafted by the Seahawks (2nd round in 2010), will be 33 in August and has 11 NFL seasons under his belt (160 games). It's a young man's game, nobody goes on forever... Bc

Even the younger version of Tate wouldn't be the type of receiver I'd want. I'd much rather have the type of receiver where the defense has to worry about keeping the ball away from him, like Hollywood, than the type of receiver where the offense has to scheme him touches, like Tate.

It looks like the Ravens already have 3 players who could be really dangerous with the ball in space, Duvernay, Dobbins and Hollywood and Roman hasn't really managed to take advantage of any of them yet. Giving him one more guy like that to under-use would not be a good use of resources.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    But what if he doesn't? We're still hearing about Maclin from sword. Do you want to give that guy more ammunition?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk
    After the crap I took over Maclin and how he fouled up as the season progressed, including the biggest game of the year, I will unleash fury is Corey Davis becomes a Raven.

Fortunately for members of this board, the Ravens are too cheap when it comes to WR, to offer what it would take to sign Davis in the first place. So, he won’t be here.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by usmccharles View Post
    Sword has been shooting blanks for quite some time

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    We do not use guns in Verdite.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    We do not use guns in Verdite.
    No wonder you can't reach anything ove r 8"

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz1988 View Post
    The Ravens barely used Dez Bryant though. It's not like he came in and became The Ravens starting number 2 receiver.
    The Dez signing was clearly a response to Boykin underperforming, they both play X receiver. The idea wasn't to outright replace Boykin, but rather run that spot by committee to take volume off Boykin's plate as he was doing nothing with it early.

Boykin played 68%, 74%, and 82% of the snaps respectively in weeks 1-3 and produced a total of 83 yds 0TD's. Abysmal production for a guy that was playing that many snaps early. Hollywood had 156 yds in that same span and actually played less total snaps than Boykin.

Boykin averaged 53% of offensive snaps on the season

Dez averaged 40% of offensive snaps on the season, (which was only 5 games, they let him dip his toes in for a few plays vs the Colts but I won't count that)

That really isn't much of an overall usage gap, the connection to Boykin's performance and the signing/implementation of Dez was clearly connected

Quote Originally Posted by sflegend89 View Post
    Boykin played 68%, 74%, and 82% of the snaps respectively in weeks 1-3 and produced a total of 83 yds 0TD's. Abysmal production for a guy that was playing that many snaps early. Hollywood had 156 yds in that same span and actually played less total snaps than Boykin.

Boykin averaged 53% of offensive snaps on the season
    That doesn't tell us a lot, he was mostly there for the blocking and hardly ever got more than 2/3 targets per game. There is a reason why we had the weekly Boykin sighting post on every game thread. He would be targeted once and be forgotten for the rest of the game, so I find it hard to draw conclusions on his snap count alone. Bit like Justice Hill on 3rd downs, for whatever reason he was there plenty as some kind of stupid decoy or as pass pro, but rarely got the football. It seems harsh to judge them both on what they haven't been asked to do. Bringing Dez and basically use him in the same way (that is, rarely as a target) was a side move that didn't work. And he's gone.

Maybe neither Boykin nor Hill have what it takes but I don't think the coaching staff is helping either.

Blog Entries

Josh Gordon just signed with the FCFL

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    Josh Gordon just signed with the FCFL
    He caught a hail mary from johnny manziel
    “I'm the best there is, the best there was, and the best there ever will be.” - Bret Hart

Blog Entries

Corey Davis at the right money is fine, like 10m aav with the ability to get out of the contract relatively painlessly. But that isn’t happening so Corey Davis would be a bad signing.

In free agency you go after the all pro players or you stay home. Doesn’t look like any of the top 3 WRs will break free so it’s onto the draft of for WR. Will Fuller is a little intriguing but the injuries and then PEDs are hard to get over.

It does look like some all pro level linemen will be available however, so that’s probably where I’m leaning. But until we see the end result of the cuts we will see this week, I find there’s little point in speculation. Shits going to look a lot different by next Sunday.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I'm better a lot more. 4 years/$60 million. Some team is going to bet on Davis to breakout as they remember how much they liked him as a prospect in the draft. It's Sammy Watkins all over again.
    It is except Sammy Watkins actually had an all pro level year, injuries were his main issue on his rookie deal. And even though Watkins productivity has never reached what it was, Sammy Watkins has always been a useful tool in both LA and KC because there’s not many players with his combo of size/speed that will force a defence to commit bodies to him. Lots of heavy film guys talk about that with him still. I don’t see that quality with Corey Davis.

Blog Entries

The need for a high-priced FA WR is hard to determine because we don't even know the WRs we already have on our roster. This is due to their underuse. For Example...

from baltomoreravens.com :

" The fact that Devin Duvernay was targeted just 26 times as a rookie last season (never more than three times in a game) tells me we haven't begun to see the full extent of what he can produce. Ramping up his targets should be a high offensive priority in 2021. "

from baltimorebeatdown.com :

" The Baltimore Ravens traded up to select wide receiver James Proche out of SMU in the sixth round of the 2020 NFL Draft. The Ravens clearly valued Proche, as they gave up a 2021 fifth-round pick to move up to draft him. It was honestly surprising that Proche was still on the board in the sixth round. He was extremely productive at SMU. As a junior, he had 93 receptions for 1,199 yards and 12 touchdowns. He then topped those numbers in his senior season with 111 receptions for 1,225 yards and 15 touchdowns. He is an excellent route runner and has great hands. Many draft experts took notice. In fact, Daniel Jeremiah of NFL Network stated that Proche had the best hands in the entire draft class.

However, Proche rarely saw the field as a rookie, which is still puzzling. The Ravens were actively searching for help at the wide receiver position, but Proche was only targeted three times last season and played a total of 25 offensive snaps. "

Apparently DeCosta and Co. thought highly enough of these two, spending a 3rd on Duvernay and trading a 5th to move up and select Proche. I wonder if Harbaugh and/or Roman can explain? ... Bc