Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Art Jones

Blog Entries

Re: Art Jones

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Incredibly small sample size.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    He might not get alot of sacks by seasons end but is very disruptive inside. Quick feet, blows through gaps and collapses the Pocket from the inside better than anyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    2 sacks in 66 snaps... Yes small sample size but that is very effective.
    So what happens when he goes 4 games without any sacks?

Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    So what happens when he goes 4 games without any sacks?

Dude I'm not saying he's going to get 16 sacks. Just saying that he's been very effective thus far. But when you have guys like Ngata, Suggs and Doom drawing attention, why can't he continue to be successful?

Quote Originally Posted by Tolucaraven View Post
    He might not get alot of sacks by seasons end but is very disruptive inside. Quick feet, blows through gaps and collapses the Pocket from the inside better than anyone else.
    He's a good player.

He's not Geno Atkins...and even if he was, we aren't in position to hand out a Geno Atkins contract.

Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Dude I'm not saying he's going to get 16 sacks. Just saying that he's been very effective thus far. But when you have guys like Ngata, Suggs and Doom drawing attention, why can't he continue to be successful?
    He's a good player.

I said that from the my first post.

I also think that you are getting a little too excited though off of 2 games.

We'll see how he does. But regardless of how he does, he likely will be gone after this year.

Blog Entries

IMO one reason the Ravens rarely address contract issues until season's end is that there are a lot of things to consider that need the time to clarify. It isn't just a question of how well Arthur plays. For example: Who's going to be available in the draft (kids leaving early, injuries, who's improved their stock with their play this year); where the team will be picking; who's likely to be released by other teams; & (perhaps most importantly) what kind of progress are they seeing from the young guys in line to take over for him?

In the current NFL teams can afford to keep very few top-level players long term. The rest of the roster has to be players still on their economical rookie contracts, role players, UDFAs looking for a chance to show their stuff, or vets on the downside looking for a last payday &/or a shot at a ring. Basically you have your rookies cheap for 4 years, & while you'd like to draft guys who can start & star immediately, the more realistic approach is to develop most of your late-rounders into rotational players &/or good special-teamer within the first 2, so you can get at least 2 solid years out of them. Meanwhile you draft (or sign as UDFA) the guy you envision stepping in for him 2 years down the line, so that when he leaves for the big bux (leaving you a high comp draft pick as a farewell present) you've had 2 years to develop his replacement. Point is that roster structuring is a process of continual replenishment. (One reason Oz collects late-round draft picks & is so reluctant to part with his own is that not all of those guys will pan out; if you can get one solid rotational player & one decent ST guy out of 3 late-rounders you're doing well.)

Arthur Jones was a steal--a 2nd round talent who fell because of that injury-plagued senior year. If he stays, so much the better, but if he leaves like Kruger-- One sold season (2012) plus one of superior play (2013?) plus a high compensatory pick when he signs a big contract elsewhere would be pretty damn good ROI for a 5th-round pick.

If the Ravens can arrange for that sort of trajectory for its draftees on a fairly consistent basis (& I am firmly convinced that is exactly how their long-term plan reads) the team will be perennial contenders (except for the occasional trainwreck of bad luck) ...& one day we'll look around & wonder where the hell all the bandwagoners came from & what they're doing on our boards...:D

Blog Entries

Art is as good as gone.

He's going to get a big contract to go elsewhere.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I would love to keep Art Jones but given our cap situation we can't afford him. And someone is going to overpay for him. It only takes one bidder.

There are soo many teams with issues on the defensive line for him to stick around I feel. I would most certainly think that his agent (if he is worth his salt) has mentioned that since that heart issue that could have ended or damaged your career, that you may want to seek as much bank as possible. I can't knock him if that is the route he takes, but I feel that Art is the type of player that you build around since he can rush the passer from multiple positions and is still pretty young.

Blog Entries

I'm too busy enjoying this year to worry about the cap situation in 2014. Hopefully Art Jones gets another ring before he hits the market.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I'm too busy enjoying this year to worry about the cap situation in 2014. Hopefully Art Jones gets another ring before he hits the market.
    I'll follow this line of thinking then lol.
    360 tag: Ahhhhhhhhnold

Motivated guys playing for a contract are nice to have on the team, even if they leave next year. I see him being like Ellerbe and Krueger, an overpaid FA next year. He's a solid veteran but not a pro bowl level guy.

Next year is going to be a tight CAP. Ozzie doesn't mortgage the future, but he has to have high confidence in the cap increasing in 2015 to push some contracts forward. I just don't see Jones as one of the core players.