Page 5 of 31 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: For us young guys: compare Bert Jones to Joe Flacco

Quote Originally Posted by KbubbaK View Post
    Sitting low in the endzone seats, saw Jones throw a missle to Glen Shake and Bake Doughty on a slant from like seven yards out for a touchdown. To this day, I don't know how he caught that ball.
    Wasn't he called the Ruxton Rifle or something like that. His receivers said if you didn't catch it right , it would hurt like hell.

Watched The Ruxton Rifle over his entire career in Baltimore and not once did I ever see him throw a dying quail on his deep ball. Joe Flacco, on the other hand and perhaps because he puts a lot of touch on the ball, has thrown quite a few passes that have run out of steam before they've reached the intended receiver. Bert Jones hit receivers in stride, Flacco has very rarely done that. Jones' arm was stronger, more consistent, and more accurate than Joe Flacco's.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasticfury View Post
    They almost betrayed Joe in the Super Bowl.
    TOUCHE. GOOD POINT - to the tune of almost 500 yards vs the defense and blowing
    that big lead Joe got em. I gotta look up the stats for the ghost to post game.

As much as I loved Bert Jones there is really NO comparison. Joe is the 2nd best QB in Baltimore football history, and it's not even close. I doubt he'll ever be considered #1, but the dude has allot of time left and he's damn near bullet proof. If he wins one more title here you can let the discussions begin.

Bert was fun to watch. He had a big arm and an attitude to match. He was considered "The Franchise". He had a great personality and usually called things how he saw them. Which I totally respect. It's just a shame that Marchibroda was such a conservative hack. As good a offensive minded coach that he was, he used to piss me off so bad with his conservative play calling with a 3 point lead. To this day I blame him for the loss to Oakland in the '77 playoffs.

Who knows had Jones played longer. His career was so short lived it's impossible to know if he would have had more success than Joe, but playing for Bob Irsay wouldn't have helped.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    No "they" won't as I was 12-16 when Bert was big here and my dad had season tickets to the Colts for us.

They are comparable. Both had big arms, weren't mobile by the standards of guys like Young or the recent batch, and could throw deep pretty well.

As much as I love Bert he did not have the ability to win the big game in the clutch. The Colts flamed out in the first round each of the three times they made the playoffs.
    Like I pointed out the defense gave up 77 points in two PO games vs Squeelers
    and OAK. No QB would have won vs that and Irsay didn't provide Bert with an Ozzie
    to feed him players. Thomas was good and drafted Bert, the sack pack, a good
    o-line but he was no Ozzie and gave away some good vets for nothing.

Bert never had Joe's great defenses.

Stabler got 345 yards passing in that day and Casper had 70 yds receiving.

Lydell Mitchell was Colts top guy with 67 yards receiving.

2OT periods were a complete defensive struggle in that game with neither
    offense scoring
    until the ghost play at the very end and that was after we lost Blackwood on
    defense during the game and Roger Carr didn't play at all. I'm sure he would
    have had at least 60 or 70 yards in that game and maybe a score to win it.
    Last edited by AirFlacco; 03-10-2015 at 02:37 AM.

Bert was know as the "Ruston Rifle" (Ruston LA - where he went to school). There is not a quarterback in the league today (including Joe) who could throw competitively with Bert Jones. If we could clone him I'd trade Joe tomorrow (and I love Joe Flacco).

Quote Originally Posted by lovefootball View Post
    Wasn't he called the Ruxton Rifle or something like that. His receivers said if you didn't catch it right , it would hurt like hell.

Quote Originally Posted by rastaman831226 View Post
    Watched The Ruxton Rifle over his entire career in Baltimore and not once did I ever see him throw a dying quail on his deep ball. Joe Flacco, on the other hand and perhaps because he puts a lot of touch on the ball, has thrown quite a few passes that have run out of steam before they've reached the intended receiver. Bert Jones hit receivers in stride, Flacco has very rarely done that. Jones' arm was stronger, more consistent, and more accurate than Joe Flacco's.
    That is Flacco's weak point, hitting receivers in stride with deep pass. Best he ever did was with Torrey in the endzone but Torrey couldn't get his other foot down. If Flacco works that weakness out, he'll get plenty of stats.
    Jones in his limited time will not be talked about much considering what Flacco has accomplished in 7 years. Flacco for the Ravens and Unitas for the Colts, football history will include both of them.

Quote Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
    As much as I loved Bert Jones there is really NO comparison. Joe is the 2nd best QB in Baltimore football history, and it's not even close. I doubt he'll ever be considered #1, but the dude has allot of time left and he's damn near bullet proof. If he wins one more title here you can let the discussions begin.

Bert was fun to watch. He had a big arm and an attitude to match. He was considered "The Franchise". He had a great personality and usually called things how he saw them. Which I totally respect. It's just a shame that Marchibroda was such a conservative hack. As good a offensive minded coach that he was, he used to piss me off so bad with his conservative play calling with a 3 point lead. To this day I blame him for the loss to Oakland in the '77 playoffs.

Who knows had Jones played longer. His career was so short lived it's impossible to know if he would have had more success than Joe, but playing for Bob Irsay wouldn't have helped.
    Marchibroda also would mis-use player skills and never adjust his offense during a game to counter a defense (he was far worse than Cam ever was). When they traded for Raymond Chester, who was a great pass catching TE, he had him focus on blocking all of the time in games rather than sending him out as much as possible as a target for Jones. It's telling that when the Colts traded Chester back to the Raiders the following year Chester was All-Pro for them. They knew how to best utilize him which is more than you can say about Bone-Head Ted!

The Patriots also gave Ted problems when we played them. The Pats were stout up the middle yet Ted would constantly run Mitchell right up the middle into the strength of the defense. Then to top it off he'd have Jones run long developing pass plays that constantly gave the Pats opportunities to hit Jones time and time again! It's a miracle Jones career didn't end even sooner with Ted running the show!

I agree with you. We lost that game due to Ted's lousy coaching both on offense and defense. Afterwards, I just knew that Jones would never get another chance in the playoffs ever again. It still pisses me off!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PalladinInNC View Post
    Marchibroda also would mis-use player skills and never adjust his offense during a game to counter a defense (he was far worse than Cam ever was). When they traded for Raymond Chester, who was a great pass catching TE, he had him focus on blocking all of the time in games rather than sending him out as much as possible as a target for Jones. It's telling that when the Colts traded Chester back to the Raiders the following year Chester was All-Pro for them. They knew how to best utilize him which is more than you can say about Bone-Head Ted!

The Patriots also gave Ted problems when we played them. The Pats were stout up the middle yet Ted would constantly run Mitchell right up the middle into the strength of the defense. Then to top it off he'd have Jones run long developing pass plays that constantly gave the Pats opportunities to hit Jones time and time again! It's a miracle Jones career didn't end even sooner with Ted running the show!

You're darn right. That's why I said earlier March ruined Bert.All my
    friends said that at the time.

I agree with you. We lost that game due to Ted's lousy coaching both on offense and defense. Afterwards, I just knew that Jones would never get another chance in the playoffs ever again. It still pisses me off!

Right again. Remember hi diddle fiddle, Mitchell up the middle the crowd chanted.
    Everyone knew which play was coming and the defense called it out when the
    offense lined up. It really upset the Colts because they knew what was coming. Ted was a
    great guy but over his head as a coach.

I remember Bert as being like Brett Favre. Something of a gunslinger who could have a temper. Big arm. Probably one of the biggest of his time. Something of a bullshitter too.

I remeber a game...I think it may have been a Monday night against the Slurs...he get hit and came off holding his right shoulder and yelling in pain. You would have thought he was done for the year. Came back in and completed a bomb to Roger Carr for a TD to win that game. At least that is how I remember it.

That said, I think Joe is better. He's got an even bigger arm and better long ball touch. And he's more durable.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

Blog Entries

Yes, Ruston Rifle was his nick name because he had a cannon of an
    arm. Some people think Otto Graham was better than Unitas because of all the
    titles he won but he threw short passes, seldom the bombs that John threw.
    Joe has more titles but not the pure arm Bert has as pointed out in a lot of
    these posts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    I remeber a game...I think it may have been a Monday night against the Slurs...he get hit and came off holding his right shoulder and yelling in pain. You would have thought he was done for the year. Came back in and completed a bomb to Roger Carr for a TD to win that game. At least that is how
    See my post #21