Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: A Spot on Article

Quote Originally Posted by ERey View Post
    Agreed. But I don't agree with the article that he's living in the past.
    I absolutely think we're living in the past.

It's 2017 and we still haven't attempted to build a passing offense.

One year of high investment drafting does not qualify. We've drafted 4 WR/TE guys in the first 3 round since we draft Joe.

That's insane.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HbgPARavenfan View Post
    dont end up like Sting.... sure the crow thing worked, but then he was stuck in TNA forever
    lol can't go full sting Hbg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    That's not the MO of someone trying to build a roster to compete for titles in today's NFL.

The Cincinnati Bengals have more division titles than the Ravens during the past five years. Mike Brown is doing a better job of roster building than Ozzie Newsome. Let that sink in for a minute.
    Mike Brown has zero Super Bowls and zero play off wins since at least 1996. Ozzie is crushing him in that department.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    lol hell to the nah i'm out here like rocky on my own playing heel now Shug.
    Same here. FWO can't see me!
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Same here. FWO can't see me!
    lol they don't wanna hear the truth bout their boy Shug knows he'll be back

6. Re: A Spot on Article

I'm not buying the article at all. We the fans know the 2000 defense was a once in a generation squad led by the greatest linebacker. It would be nearly impossible to recreate that. Does anyone really think Steve Bisciotti, Dick Cass, Ozzie Newsome and John Harbaugh don't know this either? These are smart people that didn't get to where they are by making stupid decisions.

Ozzie told us after the Super Bowl his goal was was to be strong up the middle on defense. That's a good strategy even in today's pass happy NFL. That would explain the Elam, B Williams, Mosely and Jernigan picks. Also, it's no secret this team has had it's season ended by poor secondary play and lack of pass rush. That would explain the Humphrey, Terrence Brooks, Kafusi, Correa, Z Smith, Bowser and Tim Williams picks.

I don't think Ozzie is trying to recreate the 2000 defense. I think he's trying to put together a respectable unit that can slow down pass happy teams with top tier receivers. Two are in our division with AJ Green and A Brown.

However, there's no doubt this has been at the expense of the offense - until you look a little further. The highest paid player on the team is the franchise QB, which is something the 2000 team never had. Last year's top pick was a tackle in Ronnie Stanley. Regardless of what era you play in, you need a solid LT. In 2015 Ozzie spends his first two picks on WR and TE and ends up getting burned. The 2000 team didn't have high draft picks at those positions.

It seems to me Ozzie is trying to create a balanced team with a little more investment in a strong D. The defense has been in the top 10, but its still can't close out games. The offense should have some play makers, but those picks didn't pan out. The issue isn't that Ozzie is living in the past, the issue is the failed draft picks and FA signings in Elam, A Brown, Perriman, Max Williams, Correa, Kafusi, Maclin, etc.
    Hmmmm even a much better post. I don't think it is nowhere near as simple as that article is painting it although on the surface I thought it was a good read. But thinking a little more, it's not really that good. Thanks for a different perspective.

Blog Entries

That's not the MO of someone trying to build a roster to compete for titles in today's NFL.

The Cincinnati Bengals have more division titles than the Ravens during the past five years. Mike Brown is doing a better job of roster building than Ozzie Newsome. Let that sink in for a minute.
    One takes choir boys one takes chances besides Dalton I'd take everything but their Oline over ours including Burfict

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

they also have 0 playoff wins in that same time... to our how many?

division titles are nice, but making the playoffs and having a team that can win in january is more important. Weve been better at that than the Bengals, so its rather poor argument imo.

kind of reminds me of the Manning Colts. They dominated the regular season for years. once the cold weather came around and it was playoff time, they wilted.

well see how this years playoffs go. Imo, the teams with the best chances are the teams with strong defenses and running games. I like the Jags in the AFC and I think the Saints, Vikings or Rams all have a good shot in the NFC.
    -JAB

Mike Brown has zero Super Bowls and zero play off wins since at least 1996. Ozzie is crushing him in that department.
    Yea... all in the past

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    they also have 0 playoff wins in that same time... to our how many?

division titles are nice, but making the playoffs and having a team that can win in january is more important. Weve been better at that than the Bengals, so its rather poor argument imo.
    Have we got 1?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Have we got 1?
    If were going by 5 years, its 1.

if were going by Harbaugh era its obviously a tad more.

if you want to talk about the past vs present the bengals won 13 games the last 2 years and we won 17.
    -JAB

Over the last five years:

2013 - Bengals 11-5, AFC North; Out in the Wild Card Round against the Chargers 27-10.

2014 - Bengals 10-5-1, Wild Card; Out in the Wild Card Round against the Colts 26-10. Ravens 10-6, Wild Card; Beat the Steelers 30-17 in the WC Round and then lost in the Divisional Round 35-31 against the Patriots.

2015 - Bengals AFC North, 12-4; Out in the Wild Card Round against the Steelers 18-16.

2016 - They were 6-9-1.

2017 - They are 7-9.

Over five years, they have two AFC North Titles, one Wild Card and 0-3 in the Playoffs. Baltimore has one Wild Card and is 1-1 in the Playoffs.

Great roster building by the Bengals, for sure.
    Captain Offense