Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Re: Cap Purge When/If and how bad will it hurt?

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    It will happen around the time Joe retires/gets cut.

It will be a year when we don't figure to compete.

But really, it doesn't have to be painful, last time they did that was perhaps one of the funnest years as a Ravens fan as I could remember in 2002...despite having a losing record. That was one of the best jobs Ozzie and Brian ever did.
    That season really was pretty damn fun to watch, even after losing Ray for most of it.

Quote Originally Posted by JonAB View Post
    I’m hoping for a streak of upcoming winning seasons with the group we have now but if that doesn’t come to fruition this year I would think the purge starts next offseason. Joe can be cut, Suggs would retire, Jimmy can be cut, Weddle gone. If we have a bad season and the coaching staff is fired I would heavily bet on all those moves happening. Hell even Brandon williams can be cut post June 1 if you really wanna purge everyone.
    If Ozzie is still running the show, I don't think he will introduce a purge in his own mind, but several of those guys will very probably get cut because they are old or old and injury prone. It may be that Suggs, Jimmy and Weddle are done or close to done, but it hasn't sunk in yet.
    "Flacco is driving the ball in that wind....."

(AFCCG, January 2013)

Sorry, I don't think we need a cap purge. We have a few contracts we can shed that were pretty much non-factors this year. Which might improve our position in free agency and help a little:

Brandon Carr
    Danny Woodhead
    Ladarius Webb
    Breshard Perriman
    --------------------------------Make those moves we're sitting at ~18M under
    Anthony Levine's in play
    Albert McClellen's in play
    Austin Howards's in play
    Jeremy Maclin's in play
    -------------------------------Make these moves we're sitting at ~27M under
    Suggs is a maybe
    -------------------------------Release Suggs cap drops to ~31M under
    Joe should be a definitely
    -------------------------------Trade/release Joe post june-1 and those numbers drop to -$43M

With all of the above and without any additional moves at this point, our cap space next year is around ~78M under.

Here's some interesting facts you may not know:

• We spent more cap space on Offense last year than Defense.
    *45% on Offense - $71.5M
    *33% on Defense - $52.1M

•Joe Flacco accounted for nearly 50% of all money spent on Offense last year.
    *Ranked #1 overall in cap spent of all positions in the NFL for 2017
    *Currently Ranks 4th in 2018

• We were ranked 16th in the NFL for $$ spent on Offense.
    • We were ranked 27th in the NFL for $$ spent on Defense.
    • Cap spent on Offensive starters ranked in the top 1/3rd of the league.
    • Cap spent on Defensive starters ranked 5th worst in the league.

When you do so much drafting on defense, those contracts are relatively cheap. Hence, a low cap number.

...and, like you said, Flacco accounts for half the money spent on offense.

I could imagine a post June 1st cut the following off season, but it ain't happening this year. It's just not.

Personally I would cut Woodhead, Webb, Perriman, McClellan and Maclin. I would retain Carr, Levine and Howard. And Suggs of course.

One thing missing from that list is C.J. Mosley. I would either extend him now with a goal of about $4 mil in cap reduction, or trade him.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    When you do so much drafting on defense, those contracts are relatively cheap. Hence, a low cap number.

...and, like you said, Flacco accounts for half the money spent on offense.

I could imagine a post June 1st cut the following off season, but it ain't happening this year. It's just not.

Personally I would cut Woodhead, Webb, Perriman, McClellan and Maclin. I would retain Carr, Levine and Howard. And Suggs of course.

One thing missing from that list is C.J. Mosley. I would either extend him now with a goal of about $4 mil in cap reduction, or trade him.
    I think they will extend Mosley but I hope they don’t opt for too low of a first year number. I’m tired of these low first years followed by ballooning following years that strain the cap. They did that with Joes contract big time (7m in year one) which just led to an inadvisable extension just to fix the cap numbers. Brandon Williams bit of the same, only 3m in the first year followed by a flatter 12.5m, which is 2m higher than the reality of the deal. The other problem with those contracts is they make it hurt a lot more when you do decide you need to cut someone. The only deal I’d be ok with doing that with is a WR only because of how dire our need for acquiring one is. Otherwise, flatten the numbers out and stop kicking the can down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by unbelievable View Post
    Sorry, I don't think we need a cap purge. We have a few contracts we can shed that were pretty much non-factors this year. Which might improve our position in free agency and help a little:

Brandon Carr
    Danny Woodhead
    Ladarius Webb
    Breshard Perriman
    --------------------------------Make those moves we're sitting at ~18M under
    Anthony Levine's in play
    Albert McClellen's in play
    Austin Howards's in play
    Jeremy Maclin's in play
    -------------------------------Make these moves we're sitting at ~27M under
    Suggs is a maybe
    -------------------------------Release Suggs cap drops to ~31M under
    Joe should be a definitely
    -------------------------------Trade/release Joe post june-1 and those numbers drop to -$43M

With all of the above and without any additional moves at this point, our cap space next year is around ~78M under.

Here's some interesting facts you may not know:

• We spent more cap space on Offense last year than Defense.
    *45% on Offense - $71.5M
    *33% on Defense - $52.1M

•Joe Flacco accounted for nearly 50% of all money spent on Offense last year.
    *Ranked #1 overall in cap spent of all positions in the NFL for 2017
    *Currently Ranks 4th in 2018

• We were ranked 16th in the NFL for $$ spent on Offense.
    • We were ranked 27th in the NFL for $$ spent on Defense.
    • Cap spent on Offensive starters ranked in the top 1/3rd of the league.
    • Cap spent on Defensive starters ranked 5th worst in the league.
    I think I could live with this. But who is your quarterback?

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    hr, oh I'm not laughing at the Browns. John Dorsey (an actual real football man) hired Eliot Wolf and Alonzo Highsmith. With so many multiple high picks, plus a ton of cap space, the Browns can become dangerous if this new administration has even a decent knowledge about how to build a roster. Don't know if Hue Jackson is the Head Coach to guide this new influx of talent, but Dorsey won't put up with another awful season and would likely hire a new (veteran) HC in 2019. I shudder to think that the Ravens and Browns are headed in opposite directions... Bc
    As long as the owner there has his hands on things don't count out the Browns not changing.

Quote Originally Posted by WNCRavensFan View Post
    Here are the current 2019 committments according to Spotrac:

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/baltimore-ravens/cap/2019/

They have a total of $148,312,850. With a cap of $178 mil (which will probably be more by then), that's $29.687 mil in cap room. Now because we're looking at a drafts' worth of players and some free agents, that number will be significantly lower. However, it's not that bad.

In addition to that, you can save a huge amount of money by cutting certain players before June 1, 2019:

10.5 mil - Joe Flacco (16.0 mil dead)
    9.5 mil - Jimmy Smith (6.675 mil dead)
    7.0 mil - Marshall Yanda (3.125 mil dead)
    6.5 mil - Eric Weddle (1.75 mil dead)
    6.5 mil - Austin Howard (1.0 mil dead)
    5.0 mil - Brandon Carr (2.0 mil dead)
    3.0 mil - Danny Woodead (0.75 mil dead)

A few of these guys could be cut this off season, meaning they'd have no dead money in 2019. I imagine Weddle and Carr are givens next off season. If you want to save even more money, you can get rid of the Kamelei Correa's and Anthony Levine's on the team.

2020? It's pretty much just Joe Flacco, Brandon Williams, and Tony Jefferson on big deals. Cutting Joe alone would save 20.25 mil against the cap!

There will be no great cap purge... the cap will clear up by itself because the team can't pay big money this off season.
    You forgot the new contracts for Mosley, Stanley and possibly Judon.

Blog Entries

They could have been out of cap hell several times since winning the SB. The problem is they keep doubling down on dumb add contracts. Extending Flacco coming off his worst season to that point and a major knee injury. Bwill and Jefferson. Signing Pitta to a top market deal right after a major injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Laxdad24 View Post
    I don’t think fan wise it would hurt that bad. This team has no real “fan favorites” like with Ray and Ed. Joes almost done Maybe 4-5 yrs tops. Suggs is done now he just won’t go away. That leaves Yanda who is on the way out also. Webb’s been cut so that’s it. They could “blow it up” after Joe is done and I don’t think most would care. Prob is ....the coaching staff is stale as hell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm happy Suggs isn't going away. He was one of the best players on the team still.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizer View Post
    I'm happy Suggs isn't going away. He was one of the best players on the team still.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
    Hey I like Suggs also but with the way the FO drafts he’s really just holding up a young guy. Kinda like Doom when he was here. Unlike Ray they have actually drafted guys to take over for Suggs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by wilshade View Post
    As we all know, every year the Ravens are up against the cap. It has cost them dearly when it comes to retaining their own well developed talent. As another poster pointed out . . . imagine how good the O-line could have been for a very long time.

Kicking the can down the road has become a standard procedure, and is one of the reasons for the gradual decline in the franchise.

Do you think the Ravens will eventually commit to a cap purge? How bad would it hurt in the short term? If they actually did it, how would fans handle it?
    It won’t happen. It should have happened the off season after Joe got injured. Now they will have a slow rolling runoff of vets. The only way I see them cutting a bunch of cap is if the team craters next year and overhaul coaching staff and front office.

The closest we will come to a purge may be after next year. Weddle, Yanda, JSmith all potential cuts while Suggs may not signed. Could also cut Jefferson if he is awful.