Page 38 of 66 FirstFirst ... 3637383940 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: 2013 NFL Scouting Combine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I said it months ago and I'll say it again: every draft has a theme running through it of a position that gets hot, or a few prospects that shoot up boards, or something otherwise surprising and trend-breaking.

My prediction for this year's draft: a HUGE run on defensive linemen. I could easily see 8 or more interior linemen and another 7 edge rushers (DEs and OLBs). That's maybe upwards of 15 picks going toward the DL as a whole, which sounds ridiculous, but here are the guys who carry 1st round grades IMO:

Interior (DT/NT/5-tech DE) - Star Lotulelei, Shariff Floyd, Sheldon Richardson, Kawann Short, Johnathan Hankins, John Jenkins, Datone Jones, Margus Hunt, Sylvester Williams, Bennie Logan

Edge (DE/OLB) - Jarvis Jones, Bjoern Werner, Damontre Moore, Ziggy Ansah, Dion Jordan, Alex Okafor, Barkevious Mingo

That's 17 defensive linemen that I believe have a chance to go in the 1st round and I'm being fairly conservative with the DEs. Now obviously some of them are going to fall, but even having 12 DL in the first round would be WAY more than average. The 2010 draft was seen as having an incredibly deep DL group as well, and 9 went in the first round. That would definitely cause a lot of good talent to be available at 32.

Pass-rushing defensive linemen are just at such a huge premium in the NFL, and even if guys like Margus Hunt or Ziggy Ansah are raw, they just have too much pure talent to be sitting around for too long. Aldon Smith was very raw coming out of Missouri but the 49ers knew that he could be very impactful as nothing other than a nickel rusher in year 1. That's going to be the standard for a lot of these guys coming into the nickel in year 1 and preparing to be every-down starters by years 2 or 3.
    Agree with everything. Going to be interesting who is there at 32 at other positions because of the run on front 4 guys.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Just to put things into perspective here...

40 times are great and all, but 10-yard splits are really the best indicator of a DL'man's ability to rush the QB.

For example, Michael Buchannon (6'6" 255lbs) only clocked a 4.71, but his split is 1.59, which is really solid.
    Broad jump is another one to judge these guys and than probably vertical jump.

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Datone Jones at 283 look REALLY good in the change of direction drills along with Jordan Hill (Penn St)
    Big, big fan. I'd actually prefer him over a lot of the bigger name guys.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Just to put things into perspective here...

40 times are great and all, but 10-yard splits are really the best indicator of a DL'man's ability to rush the QB.

For example, Michael Buchannon (6'6" 255lbs) only clocked a 4.71, but his split is 1.59, which is really solid.
    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Broad jump is another one to judge these guys and than probably vertical jump.
    It's all about the first step explosion. You can't teach that. Getting out of your stance, getting your first foot forward, and hitting the corner is just pure athletic ability. You can teach a lineman how to time their jump better but it still won't help them physically get off the ball ahead of everyone else.

Obviously Ziggy Ansah's 1.56 split is insane. Josh Boyd and Shariff Floyd went 1.67 and 1.68 respectively at around 300lbs, which is a phenomenal number. Hunt and Jones 1.62 and 1.63, more very good numbers.

The latter 2 guys could be JJ Watt type impact players at the 5-tech DE spot. I would have no problem with the Ravens taking Jones or Hunt at #32 if they moved Ngata to NT. With Ngata at NT, McPhee at one DE spot and Jones/Hunt at the other, that is A LOT of penetration and pass rush out of the base 3 man line.

Datone Jones killed it in the pass rush drill also, best of the group, really fluid.

Good stuff...

Dan Masonson ‏@NFLMase

Top ratings markets for Sat #NFLCombine workouts on @NFLNetwork: 1. Baltimore (Super Bowl champs); 2. Birmingham, AL (Bama BCS champs)
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Datone Jones at 283 look REALLY good in the change of direction drills along with Jordan Hill (Penn St)
    Datone Jones is the guy I'm leaning towards. He could set the edge as a 3-4 DE and open up things a little for Upshaw and Suggs behind him. He could also play the interior on passing downs giving us a different look from the big guys. Jones is absolutely on my list this year.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I would have no problem with the Ravens taking Jones or Hunt at #32 if they moved Ngata to NT.
    I would have no issue with them taking a true 5-technique DE / DT, because I really feel as though both Arthur Jones and Pernell McPhee are best suited to situational roles...but I think Ozzie needs to get a true NT in addition to that. Leave Ngata where he is, and get another player that DEMANDS a double team. Ngata's skill set is not being maximized having his main responsibility being nothing but eating up blockers.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    There are some guys who you know are going to kill it at the combine.

Jordan was definitely one.

No way he slid down to the end of round one.
    He's probably not getting past Philly, Chip Kelley must be licking his chops right about now.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Datone Jones is the guy I'm leaning towards. He could set the edge as a 3-4 DE and open up things a little for Upshaw and Suggs behind him. He could also play the interior on passing downs giving us a different look from the big guys. Jones is absolutely on my list this year.
    I'd rather have Jones than a guy like Jesse Williams in the first round.

Good stuff...
    Although I didn't watch a single minute glad to see BMore representing. I chose to follow this thread instead. Just goes to show how passionate we are about football

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post

Big, big fan. I'd actually prefer him over a lot of the bigger name guys.
    Both Cossell and Jeremiah were raving about Jones' versatility, I'm fully on board with him at 32