Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1819202122 LastLast

Re: So, any OL doubters turning into believers now?

Assuming McKinnie hasn't completely deteriorated in practice, I would insert him at LT and move Oher to RG. Bobbie Williams is just completely incapable.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    At this point I agree that KO should stay at RT. I think Oher should kick inside to guard and McKinnie play at LT. That would give us some run blocking power on the left side behind Oher at guard, and he'd be a much better pass blocker there.

You'd only be moving 1 position around... and Oher is no lock to be good at RT. He was bad there way too often. Really think his NFL future is at guard and he played the position some in college anyway.
    filmstudy would agree with this as well, the more I see Oher at tackle the more he changes my mind on being one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jsmoove View Post
    filmstudy would agree with this as well, the more I see Oher at tackle the more he changes my mind on being one.
    After watching the all-22, I don't want to see anymore of Oher at tackle. He is just not quick enough to play tackle. He got flat out abused on Sunday.

I can't see moving Oher to G -- he has little/no experience there , right? IF changes are made would it not be more logical to move Oher to RT (where he had some success); move McKinnie to LT (where he has both experience and a decent track record); and KO to G, where he played significant time in college?
    All this obscures the key to this train wreck: how the F*** could the FO think this mess could be a remotely adequate O line? (forget "SB-level") Jah is a tall T (and apparently not a very good one . . .), not a G. Harewood is an insurance sales trainee. Bobbie and Matt aren't over the hill -- they're under it. Gino apparently (?) is not ready to contribute at all. KO has potential, but seems to be regressing just when you'd expect him to begin "seeing the light." And me trying to quit the bourbon . . .

Blog Entries

Meanwhile KO is having a stellar year at RT for a rookie. Very solid pick so far. Maybe the 2011 and 2012 drafts can heal us from that really bad 2010 draft. So far we have some players who have shown a lot so far.

Torrey Smith- With more consistent and better QB play, I think Torrey could be just as good as Mike Wallace. We need to use him on more short passes, so he can run with the ball, he's very dangerous in space. Very strong in the YAC department.

Pernell McPhee- Has done extremely well so far for a 5th round pick. Spent most of this year hurt, but came back strong vs Denver. He reminds me of Darnell Dockett, will he ever be as good as him? Probably not, but he's still been very solid so far.

Tandon Doss- Likely to takeover the number 2 receiver job next season, has been solid in limited action this year, has made some really nice catches, and has shown flashes.

Jury is still out on Jah Reid and Jimmy Smith. Jah deserves more time as a starter before we make the final judgement on him. Jimmy had a really solid rookie year, but has spent most of this year injured, and struggled when he stood up as a starter. Corners naturally take a while to develop though.

From this draft:

KO- So far, looks like our future RT for years to come, he will continue to get better. He is still pretty raw, but he is a hard worker and will learn the game more and more every week, typical blue collar pick by Ozzie. I honestly think KO can have similar success to what Yanda has had here.

Courtney Upshaw- Looks like our new Jarrett Johnson, with more upside as a pass rusher. He still needs to get more athletic as a pass rusher, and i'm not sure if a guy built like Upshaw can do that, he's just so big and bulky. Maybe a full offseason of hard work on the track can get him there. Other than that, extremely good run defender for a rookie off the edge, at the very least we got us a solid run defender at the SAM LB spot, and at the very best, we got a new Lamar Woodley.

Bernard Pierce- STUD back up. He could be a starter in this league from what i've seen of him. IMO we are very lucky we got him this year, because had he went back to college, I think he could have rose his draft stock to the second, maybe even the first round. Explosive zone runner, that runs hard and finishes the play.

Jury is still out on Gino, Thompson, Asa Jackson, Tommy Streeter, and Tyson. (Tyson has at least shown potential as a good depth player on the Dline).

So that may well be six very good picks we got from those two drafts down the line, which isn't too bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    I can't see moving Oher to G -- he has little/no experience there , right? IF changes are made would it not be more logical to move Oher to RT (where he had some success); move McKinnie to LT (where he has both experience and a decent track record); and KO to G, where he played significant time in college?
    All this obscures the key to this train wreck: how the F*** could the FO think this mess could be a remotely adequate O line? (forget "SB-level") Jah is a tall T (and apparently not a very good one . . .), not a G. Harewood is an insurance sales trainee. Bobbie and Matt aren't over the hill -- they're under it. Gino apparently (?) is not ready to contribute at all. KO has potential, but seems to be regressing just when you'd expect him to begin "seeing the light." And me trying to quit the bourbon . . .
    Oher played guard his entire freshman year in college. Yeah, that was a long time ago, but he's got familiarity with the position, and I like the idea of moving ONE player (who is a veteran) versus moving 2 positions, one of whom is a rookie who's played nothing but tackle since training camp.

The other thing too with this situation is that Oher is NOT going to be better at RT. I say again, he will NOT be better at RT. He can't play tackle. He can't stop speed rushers and he can't stop power rushers. His problem is that he cannot play on an island. He's got a much greater chance of being successful at guard.

I also think Jah Reid is better on the bench as the backup swing tackle. He just doesn't offer anything other than a moderate level of pass blocking and otherwise looks terribly miscast at guard. Oher is a better fit there short and long term.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Meanwhile KO is having a stellar year at RT for a rookie. Very solid pick so far. Maybe the 2011 and 2012 drafts can heal us from that really bad 2010 draft. So far we have some players who have shown a lot so far.

Torrey Smith- With more consistent and better QB play, I think Torrey could be just as good as Mike Wallace. We need to use him on more short passes, so he can run with the ball, he's very dangerous in space. Very strong in the YAC department.

Pernell McPhee- Has done extremely well so far for a 5th round pick. Spent most of this year hurt, but came back strong vs Denver. He reminds me of Darnell Dockett, will he ever be as good as him? Probably not, but he's still been very solid so far.

Tandon Doss- Likely to takeover the number 2 receiver job next season, has been solid in limited action this year, has made some really nice catches, and has shown flashes.

Jury is still out on Jah Reid and Jimmy Smith. Jah deserves more time as a starter before we make the final judgement on him. Jimmy had a really solid rookie year, but has spent most of this year injured, and struggled when he stood up as a starter. Corners naturally take a while to develop though.

From this draft:

KO- So far, looks like our future RT for years to come, he will continue to get better. He is still pretty raw, but he is a hard worker and will learn the game more and more every week, typical blue collar pick by Ozzie. I honestly think KO can have similar success to what Yanda has had here.

Courtney Upshaw- Looks like our new Jarrett Johnson, with more upside as a pass rusher. He still needs to get more athletic as a pass rusher, and i'm not sure if a guy built like Upshaw can do that, he's just so big and bulky. Maybe a full offseason of hard work on the track can get him there. Other than that, extremely good run defender for a rookie off the edge, at the very least we got us a solid run defender at the SAM LB spot, and at the very best, we got a new Lamar Woodley.

Bernard Pierce- STUD back up. He could be a starter in this league from what i've seen of him. IMO we are very lucky we got him this year, because had he went back to college, I think he could have rose his draft stock to the second, maybe even the first round. Explosive zone runner, that runs hard and finishes the play.

Jury is still out on Gino, Thompson, Asa Jackson, Tommy Streeter, and Tyson. (Tyson has at least shown potential as a good depth player on the Dline).

So that may well be six very good picks we got from those two drafts down the line, which isn't too bad at all.
    You forgot Justin Tucker.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CRZA938 View Post

You forgot Justin Tucker.
    Might end up being the best rookie addition this year.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    Saw that McKinnie may see some time this weekend. We'll see if that actually happens. I think the McKinnie situation is somewhat similar to the Tebow situation in NY. I think Harbaugh is scared of what happens if he plays him now and, as most of us expect, he proves to be significantly better at LT than Oher. Great for the team, but then Harbaugh is open to all the questions about why the move wasn't made ten weeks earlier.
    This is my thinking as well. Bisciotti would be pretty pissed if it becomes obvious that Harbaugh's doghouse has sabotaged the team.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JustaslowZ06 View Post
    Bringing in and playing McKinnie now would be almost useless. He's not going to be here next year and that means you're displacing KO because they'll send Oher back to RT. So now you have a guy under contract for the next 4 years not getting snaps, one guy who won't be here next year, and another that shouldn't but we'll have to wait till the year after to get rid of him. And the CF of ou OL continues.

Sometimes you gotta swing for the fences and right now the OL isn't getting it done.
    No offense, but I don't understand or agree with this line of thinking. The NFL is a year to year proposition. I don't care if McKinnie is going to be here next year or not. I am only interested in THIS season. There are so many variables that can change from one season to another that you can't look ahead in the NFL like that. The Ravens have two regular season games left and at least one playoff game. They should only be concerned about which lineup gives them the best chance to win in those games, not which lineup is likely to be there next season. McKinnie is a better LT than Oher, so he should be playing. The Ravens can then either play Oher at LG if they feel he can handle it and if they think that the position change from RT to LG would be too difficult for KO at this stage in the season. Or they can move Oher back to RT and move KO to LG. The Ravens have already stated that they want to resign Oher for RT money, so I am not sure what the big deal is to move him back to RT.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by steelerhater View Post
    This is my thinking as well. Bisciotti would be pretty pissed if it becomes obvious that Harbaugh's doghouse has sabotaged the team.
    Agreed. It would dovetail perfectly into the narrative that Harbaugh places his personal feelings ahead of the interests of the team.

Blog Entries

If they're planning on running the ball to set the tone (which I would have no problem with, it makes the play action work) then it would be nice to see McKinnie out there

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!