Page 66 of 66 FirstFirst ... 646566
    Blog Entries

Re: 2013 NFL Scouting Combine Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I like that draft too although as others have stated, the lack of an ILB and LT is concerning.

I think I'd also swap Hankins for Datone Jones...as time goes on, I'm getting more and more on the Jones train.
    I would take either Datone Jones or Hankins with that pick. It's unlikely that both will still be there when we pick. But if either of them is available at 32, I'd be thrilled. Back that with Swearinger, and I think we're all going to be pretty happy.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    TBH, I'm starting to value Dline over ILB for us. Yeah we probably need another ILB on the roster, especially if we cut Jameel McClain. However, assuming we manage to re-sign Ellerbe, you can add someone on the cheap in FA, preferably more of a coverage LB, like a Nick Barnett (I have no idea how much he'd cost at this point). Also, who woudl you rather start, Terrence Cody or Jameel McClain/Josh Bynes? I think I'd rather have Bynes next to Ellerbe than have another year of Cody getting pushed back yard after yard. He was the root of our run defense issues IMO, along with Ma'ake. Bynes and Ellerbe were pretty solid down the stretch before Ray returned, I like Bynes in coverage too. Not saying we should go in with that next season, I think you bring someone in, but I'd rather take a falling talent like a Johnathan Hankins to play NT/DE any day. The guy is more of a run stuffing lineman, but can collapse the pocket, and IMO can be a 3 down lineman. He'd be a day 1 starter in-between Ngata and Art Jones/McPhee.

I'm not too sure about Mathieu, but DJ Swearinger is my favorite DB in this class, and I want him to be a Raven somehow.
    I don't disagree with this at all. Good call on Bynes, the kid played very well as an injury fill in and spot starter this past year despite generating no attention whatsoever. He is definitely in the mix to play a lot of snaps at ILB next year whether we sign Ellerbe or not (hopefully we do). There is more than enough depth at ILB to make a viable addition sometime after the 1st.

The DL definitely needs to be a priority but there are a few issues to consider here. It's the deepest position in the draft by far, and I'm projecting maybe as many as 15 first round picks to be defensive linemen. That means we will probably have a good shot at a talented lineman at #32, but if there's such a big run on linemen, do we want to be the team that follows the crowd or do we want to be the team that snags a top-20 type of prospect that gets pushed down because everyone's scrambling to get a DL?

I guess what I'm saying is that do we want the 15th best defensive lineman at #32, or possibly the 2nd best ILB, FS, or WR? Walter's mock has us passing on DeAndre Hopkins, Menelik Watson, Matt Elam, and Tank Carradine, all of whom I have graded out higher on my big board than Jonathan Hankins. I don't think the Ravens would take Hankins over any of those guys (maybe Watson, I might be overrating him a bit.)

I would much rather have a draft that looked like this, all of whom are available at each spot per Walter's mock:

1) Matt Elam
    2) Brandon Williams
    3) Da'Rick Rogers (I do like this pick a lot, one of my favorite players in the draft)
    4) David Bakhtiari

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I don't disagree with this at all. Good call on Bynes, the kid played very well as an injury fill in and spot starter this past year despite generating no attention whatsoever. He is definitely in the mix to play a lot of snaps at ILB next year whether we sign Ellerbe or not (hopefully we do). There is more than enough depth at ILB to make a viable addition sometime after the 1st.

The DL definitely needs to be a priority but there are a few issues to consider here. It's the deepest position in the draft by far, and I'm projecting maybe as many as 15 first round picks to be defensive linemen. That means we will probably have a good shot at a talented lineman at #32, but if there's such a big run on linemen, do we want to be the team that follows the crowd or do we want to be the team that snags a top-20 type of prospect that gets pushed down because everyone's scrambling to get a DL?

I guess what I'm saying is that do we want the 15th best defensive lineman at #32, or possibly the 2nd best ILB, FS, or WR? Walter's mock has us passing on DeAndre Hopkins, Menelik Watson, Matt Elam, and Tank Carradine, all of whom I have graded out higher on my big board than Jonathan Hankins. I don't think the Ravens would take Hankins over any of those guys (maybe Watson, I might be overrating him a bit.)

I would much rather have a draft that looked like this, all of whom are available at each spot per Walter's mock:

1) Matt Elam
    2) Brandon Williams
    3) Da'Rick Rogers (I do like this pick a lot, one of my favorite players in the draft)
    4) David Bakhtiari
    Totally agree with taking a sliding talent over a big need, depending on what we do with Flacco, if the cap space is there, we could easily sign a big body in FA anyway, and a lot of them would be instant upgrades over Cody and Ma'ake. I'm sure Ozzie, after all the talk on how good the DT class is, and after all the talk he's made about how they need to get better at DT, will take a sliding talent like an Alec Ogletree or a Matt Elam, thats his style all over.

It really depends on who's there though, we can sit here and say this and this player is who they should take, but in reality we wont know until we're on the clock with the options we'll have.

Btw I don't think I'd like Brandon Williams in the first round, I would rather trade back and take him in the 2nd.

Oh sorry you meant taking him in the 2nd round, my bad.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Mark May (who I think is a complete asshat btw) was pretty harsh on Te'o this morning on ESPN. Can't say that I really disagree with him.

May: "This guy has had a month and a half to prepare for the combine. He's had speed coaches. He's had strength coaches. He had positional coaches. He even is touting that he lost almost 10lbs to get faster...and all you could do was that? He is a mid to late 2nd rounder, at best. Any GM that drafts him in round 1 should be fired that same day."
    May is an asshat. He hates everything ND. By his standards Suggs would not have been drafted in the top 10. You draft players based on their ability to play and not run a 40. He did well in the 3 cone drill and the 20yd shuttle. Isn't that more indicative of what would be expected of an ILB. changing directions and acceleration versus having top end speed?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by srobert96 View Post
    May is an asshat. He hates everything ND. By his standards Suggs would not have been drafted in the top 10. You draft players based on their ability to play and not run a 40. He did well in the 3 cone drill and the 20yd shuttle. Isn't that more indicative of what would be expected of an ILB. changing directions and acceleration versus having top end speed?
    40 yard dash times are worthless IMO for anybody in the front 7 or on the Oline and at QB. I hate it when a players draft stock tumbles because of an average 40 time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    40 yard dash times are worthless IMO for anybody in the front 7 or on the Oline and at QB. I hate it when a players draft stock tumbles because of an average 40 time.
    Frankly I think it's awesome. As long as we're the beneficiaries

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Mark May (who I think is a complete asshat btw) was pretty harsh on Te'o this morning on ESPN. Can't say that I really disagree with him.

May: "This guy has had a month and a half to prepare for the combine. He's had speed coaches. He's had strength coaches. He had positional coaches. He even is touting that he lost almost 10lbs to get faster...and all you could do was that? He is a mid to late 2nd rounder, at best. Any GM that drafts him in round 1 should be fired that same day."
    You know, lol, I could always see why someone would view May as a jerk, but I think he and Holtz are hilarious. I remember when Holtz, of course, predicted Notre Dame to win the BCS Championship. May went off, declaring that the game would be over after one quarter and so forth.

The man is right more often than he is wrong. He just has a boisterous way of expressing himself. lol.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    You know, lol, I could always see why someone would view May as a jerk, but I think he and Holtz are hilarious. I remember when Holtz, of course, predicted Notre Dame to win the BCS Championship. May went off, declaring that the game would be over after one quarter and so forth.

The man is right more often than he is wrong. He just has a boisterous way of expressing himself. lol.
    I don't think he is right more than he is wrong. I think he just hates ND so much that he was right 100% this time.

The guy is a douche. And is it just me or does he seem like he is trying to talk so perfectly and eloquently. Reminds me of Ross Geller (sp?) from Friends.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Swearinger and Rogers in particular are two of my favorite players in the class.
    Mine as well, along with Datone Jones. I would love to see those guys here, but I think Jones' performance at the combine raised his stock a little bit beyond the Ravens pick. Still, Swearinger and Rogers would be pretty satisfying.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    Mine as well, along with Datone Jones. I would love to see those guys here, but I think Jones' performance at the combine raised his stock a little bit beyond the Ravens pick. Still, Swearinger and Rogers would be pretty satisfying.
    Datone Jones is going to Seattle. Book it.