Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1415161718 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: How the Eagles are proving the Ravens need to open their wallets for a star wide receiver

Quote Originally Posted by StalkRavenMad View Post
    You conveniently leave out that 5 of Lamars 1 TDs came from the WR position and that he himself left at least 2 more TDs to wr on the field. Lamar and Andrews are weapons that GRo would be stupid not to use. Andrews Lamars security blanket he is the guy that Lamar feels most comfortable with. I'd venture to say that Kelce leads KC in both rec and rec TDs. Why not go to Andrews until someone can take him away. I've given you 4 instances where GRo schemed WR wide open. Doesn't change the fact that in Romans offense for this year, hr has had WR open.
    I respect the fact that Andrews is the Ravens #1 receiver. That said, similarly to ravensfan7716, I just looked up some stats for the Ravens WRs through the first 5 games:

Duvernay- 17 receptions
    Bateman- 11 receptions (4 games)
    Robinson- 6 receptions
    Wallace- 2 receptions
    Proche- 1 reception

Total- 37 receptions

So, what happens if Andrews, Duvernay or Bateman has a sprained ankle like Andrews had during the 2019 playoff game the Ravens lost? Just one such comparatively minor injury could completely derail the Ravens playoff hopes. Lamar and Andrews are great players, and the Ravens should absolutely rely on them.

However, we have seen this movie a few times now. The Ravens will get into the playoffs, they will face off against really good teams who also have great players that will key in on stopping Andrews. If a team double teams Andrews to take him away, the Ravens will have to be able to go to alternative targets in the passing game to be able to make a deep playoff or SB run.

Both Bateman and Duvernay are good but not great WRs. However, the Ravens have nothing but JAGs other than them at WR. If either one of them is injured with even a minor injury, the Ravens are going to struggle mightily moving the ball on offense. The Ravens will then tell Lamar to "make something happen" by running the ball. He will do his best, but will likely be running against stacked boxes. We have seen this movie before, and we know how it will end. Why is it important for the Ravens to have 4 TEs for depth and 42 DBs, but only 2 viable WRs? They need to add an additional proven offensive weapon.
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

Re: How the Eagles are proving the Ravens need to open their wallets for a star wide receiver

Quote Originally Posted by StalkRavenMad View Post
    You conveniently leave out that 5 of Lamars 1 TDs came from the WR position and that he himself left at least 2 more TDs to wr on the field. Lamar and Andrews are weapons that GRo would be stupid not to use. Andrews Lamars security blanket he is the guy that Lamar feels most comfortable with. I'd venture to say that Kelce leads KC in both rec and rec TDs. Why not go to Andrews until someone can take him away. I've given you 4 instances where GRo schemed WR wide open. Doesn't change the fact that in Romans offense for this year, hr has had WR open.
    I have not left anything out other than you seem to not be able to comprehend or look at blatantly obvious stats that clearly show how this offense is almost entirely (Lamar to Mark Andrews).

None of this is evidence of Greg Roman being a great play caller.
    Its blatantly obvious that he is incredibly one side with his philosophy. He can only scheme passing formations geared toward TE Position, and his rushing offense.
    He is massively lacking among the rest of the NFL from a pass game perspective.

You saw the Ravens numbers I posted above. Now here are some comparisons. I chose only the 3 teams directly behind the Ravens in Tight End usage stat wise right now so no one tried arguing (OH you hand picked stats).
    I chose the three highest TE receiving teams as a comparison to show how grossly behind Romans Offense is from the WR position compared to other teams.

Ravens.
    TE= 41 RECEPTIONS
    WR= 37 RECEPTIONS
    FB= 5 RECPTIONS
    RB= 12 RECEPTIONS

CHIEFS.
    TE= 40 RECEPTIONS
    WR= 61 RECEPTIONS
    FB=1 REC
    RB= 25 REC

EAGLES.
    TE= 27 RECEPTIONS
    WR= 67 RECPTIONS
    FB= 0
    RB= 15 REC

RAMS.
    TE= 35 RECEPTIONS
    WR= 85 REC
    FB= 0
    RB= 14 REC

Eagles, Chiefs doubled the WR receptions
    Rams damn near tripled the Ravens WR recptions

Even with this blatantly obvious information there are still going to be fans who try and defend this inept sorry ass coaching staff of Roman and Harbaugh and It is absolutely nuts at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I respect the fact that Andrews is the Ravens #1 receiver. That said, similarly to ravensfan7716, I just looked up some stats for the Ravens WRs through the first 5 games:

Duvernay- 17 receptions
    Robinson- 6 receptions
    Wallace- 2 receptions
    Proche- 1 reception

Total- 37 receptions

So, what happens if Andrews, Duvernay or Bateman has a sprained ankle like Andrews had during the 2019 playoff game the Ravens lost? Just one such comparatively minor injury could completely derail the Ravens playoff hopes. Lamar and Andrews are great players, and the Ravens should absolutely rely on them.

However, we have seen this movie a few times now. The Ravens will get into the playoffs, they will face off against really good teams who also have great players that will key in on stopping Andrews. If a team double teams Andrews to take him away, the Ravens will have to be able to go to alternative targets in the passing game to be able to make a deep playoff or SB run.

Both Bateman and Duvernay are good but not great WRs. However, the Ravens have nothing but JAGs other than them at WR. If either one of them is injured with even a minor injury, the Ravens are going to struggle mightily moving the ball on offense. The Ravens will then tell Lamar to "make something happen" by running the ball. He will do his best, but will likely be running against stacked boxes. We have seen this movie before, and we know how it will end. Why is it important for the Ravens to have 4 TEs for depth and 42 DBs, but only 2 viable WRs? They need to add an additional proven offensive weapon.
    Exactly, and that is my point.

Its entirely Andrews and Lamar

Duvernay- 17 receptions
    Robinson- 6 receptions
    Wallace- 2 receptions
    Proche- 1 reception

Total- 37 receptions

You can make this argument for any team in the AFC playoff race. What happens to the Bills if Diggs has a sprained ankle? What if Chase is out for the Bengals? What if Kelce is sidelined for the Chiefs? Everyone's chances of winning goes down when their top play maker is hurt.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by InigoMontoya View Post
    You can make this argument for any team in the AFC playoff race. What happens to the Bills if Diggs has a sprained ankle? What if Chase is out for the Bengals? What if Kelce is sidelined for the Chiefs? Everyone's chances of winning goes down when their top play maker is hurt.
    Agreed, but all of those teams have other viable options in the passing game, and they have much better overall passing schemes. I am saying that I don't understand why it is so critical for the Ravens to have proven depth at some positions, but not at the WR position. I am not asking for Justin Jefferson to be added to the roster, just another WR the caliber of Bateman and Duvernay. If the Ravens hadn't traded Marquise, they wouldn't have needed another WR, but they did trade him, and didn't replace him with someone who wasn't a JAG.
    “When the sea was calm, all ships alike showed mastership in floating.”- William Shakespeare

But that is not the entire argument.

The argument is the massive lack of WR usage compared to the rest of the teams who are also leading the league among TE use age.

For those other teams if their best TE goes down, they still have a competent passing game.

You cannot say that same thing about the Ravens. They clearly do not.

Their WR usage needs to go up exponentially.

Agreed, but all of those teams have other viable options in the passing game, and they have much better overall passing schemes. I am saying that I don't understand why it is so critical for the Ravens to have proven depth at some positions, but not at the WR position. I am not asking for Justin Jefferson to be added to the roster, just another WR the caliber of Bateman and Duvernay. If the Ravens hadn't traded Marquise, they wouldn't have needed another WR, but they did trade him, and didn't replace him with someone who wasn't a JAG.
    Show me the WRs available that are equivalent to Duvernay and Bateman. DJ Moore is the only name I'm seeing, and he'll probably command a 1st round pick or a 2nd and a 4th. We'd also have to let some people go because of his salary cap.

I disagree strongly that KC has other viable passing options better than Duvernay and Bateman. Buffalo really only has Davis after Diggs. Cincy has a good fleet of receivers, but they revolve around Chase.

I agree with you that I'm tired of seeing them concentrate way too much on secondary, but I don't want to see them do something similar with WRs. I'd like to see a better #3 over Robinson, but I also think Proche will eventually be that guy this year.

Blog Entries

Show me the WRs available that are equivalent to Duvernay and Bateman. DJ Moore is the only name I'm seeing, and he'll probably command a 1st round pick or a 2nd and a 4th. We'd also have to let some people go because of his salary cap.

I disagree strongly that KC has other viable passing options better than Duvernay and Bateman. Buffalo really only has Davis after Diggs. Cincy has a good fleet of receivers, but they revolve around Chase.

I agree with you that I'm tired of seeing them concentrate way too much on secondary, but I don't want to see them do something similar with WRs. I'd like to see a better #3 over Robinson, but I also think Proche will eventually be that guy this year.
    All I have asked for is a better #3 WR than Robinson, and an increase in the passing volume overall to the WRs. I know people on this board love Proche, but he has a grand total of 1 reception through the first five games. Robinson and Wallace are being targeted more than him. If the Ravens thought he was that good, then wouldn't they give him more targets? Do you really think the Ravens would be confident with having to count on Proche is a playoff game?

Truthfully we have no idea on what the Ravens have at WR, why? Because as I keep saying lack of useage.

They do not have good enough coaches who know how to utilize the talent, even if it was available.

I am probably the biggest DJ Moore fan on this board. He was my favorite player I was beating the drum for the year he came out. He is a very under rated WR.

But even if they got him, as I said in previous threads, it would not most likely help because this coaching staff absolutely sucks ass from the WR perspective.

We have no idea if Proche, Wallace, or Robinson are any good because of the massive lack of targets. What WR is going to be productive getting 1-2 receptions per game????? Nobody.

This offense needs to evolve from a passing perspective in the worst way. It most likely wont happen with the two buffoons we have

All I have asked for is a better #3 WR than Robinson, and an increase in the passing volume overall to the WRs. I know people on this board love Proche, but he has a grand total of 1 reception through the first five games. Robinson and Wallace are being targeted more than him. If the Ravens thought he was that good, then wouldn't they give him more targets? Do you really think the Ravens would be confident with having to count on Proche is a playoff game?
    No WR is ever going to be productive sitting on the bench.

They need to start running more 3 WR sets and watch Lamar tear it up.

Look at the low number of receptions by Bateman through 4 games. He needs more targets as well as Duvernay

I don't care where the receptions go as long as points are scored. KC (and really Buffalo as well) doesn't really run the ball, so they are obviously going to have more overall receptions. The ball is going to go to Mandrews first, and rightfully so. We just need to have the right plays to go to the other guys, which at best, Roman is inconsistent with. I have faith Bateman and Duv are talented enough to win their battles. No team is going to have an endless list of skill players, so when we are talking the guys behind Bate/Duv we are talking to 4th, 5th, 6th options.

You do know Proche was hurt, right? He's just now coming back.