Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Are People Having an Honest MVP Debate?

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    It’s way too early and it’s not all about stats
    Right, and most teams are just one game past the mid-way point of the season.
    I don't really care about awards. So if the Ravens win the Super Bowl, but Wilson wins NFL MVP, I'd be OK with that ... Bc

They can split. Give Russ the league MVP award, and Lamar the SB MVP award.

That seems fair.

Despite that interception late in OT, RW played well against a really good Niners D. He had his share of clutch moments for sure.

I'm like Lamar. "I'm focus on winning".

Quote Originally Posted by RavenDomination View Post
    I like Russell Wilson, and I don't know how he'll play against the 49ers. That's about to come on as I write this. I know 22 TDs and 1 INT is an incredible stat, but how does he have the MVP solidly when that's all anyone can actually point to to elevate him? Lamar is on pace to break Vick's single season rushing record and become the first QB to throw for 3,000 yards and rush for 1,000 yards in NFL history. He's had TWO perfect games and is single-handedly carrying this team on his back.

Russ JUST has a historic TD-INT ratio.
    Single-handedly carrying this team on his back??? No. He is certainly elevating his teammates to play at a level they most likely wouldn't be playing at without him. On top of this, he is playing at an incredibly high level himself. All this being said, where the Ravens are at the moment is a team effort. There have been many outstanding efforts by numerous players on this team and I'm 100% positive that Lamar would be the first to acknowledge that fact.

All other things being equal...Wilson has a leg up for MVP simply because of his 7+ stellar years in the NFL. It may just be his turn.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Despite that interception late in OT, RW played well against a really good Niners D. He had his share of clutch moments for sure.

I'm like Lamar. "I'm focus on winning".
    Did he have a completion over 16 yards? Lamar takes a ton of big shots off PA which is why I don't think the QB rating stats will be anywhere close. Like congrats on the win and everything but if you aren't going to give it to Lamar give it Mahomes.

Wilson isn't even averaging 300 yards passing

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post
    Did he have a completion over 16 yards? Lamar takes a ton of big shots off PA which is why I don't think the QB rating stats will be anywhere close. Like congrats on the win and everything but if you aren't going to give it to Lamar give it Mahomes.

I'm not interested in this debate but to me there's no question RW belongs in the MVP discussion and it wouldn't bother me in the least if the award went to him

7. Re: Are People Having an Honest MVP Debate?

Quote Originally Posted by boller4president View Post

Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Blog Entries

We don't need to tear one guy down to support the other. Wilson, Lamar, McCaffrey, all deserving. Watson is too, but for some reason seems to be on the outside looking in for most.

Mahomes is great but wouldn't be on my list at the moment, not when the others are performing every week and he's missed two games. Chiefs won one of those, by the way, against a contender in the Vikings. Are Seattle, Baltimore, or Carolina winning against a good team without their guy? I honestly don't know enough about Seattle or Carolina to say, but we definitely aren't.
    back on twitter

"Well that was an appropriate last ride for Pees. A Bengals WR streaking in for a game winning touchdown in the closing minutes is the man’s preferred medium to express his art." - GreenWave52

Wilson was one horribly shanked FG attempt from being the goat last night. That was a terrible INT he threw in OT, but fate (in the form of an injured Robbie Gould) bailed him out.

RW is having a great year, though. He's always seemed like a good dude so I'm fine if he ends up winning it. It's just exciting to have someone in the conversation! Baltimore's last NFL MVP was Bert Jones, waaaaaaay back in 1976! Ray and Jamal got a few votes in 2003 but otherwise I don't think Baltimore has had anyone even close to winning the award before Lamar. Long way to go, of course, but this is some rarefied air!

In my opinion, if you think Watson, Wilson, Jackson, or McCaffery should be MVP right now I think you have a legitimate argument. So yes, the debate is "honest". It's not like any of the 4 of those guys have been short of phenomenal.
    "That's not Donovan McNabb."

Quote Originally Posted by Bhcforlife View Post
    We don't need to tear one guy down to support the other. Wilson, Lamar, McCaffrey, all deserving. Watson is too, but for some reason seems to be on the outside looking in for most.

Mahomes is great but wouldn't be on my list at the moment, not when the others are performing every week and he's missed two games. Chiefs won one of those, by the way, against a contender in the Vikings. Are Seattle, Baltimore, or Carolina winning against a good team without their guy? I honestly don't know enough about Seattle or Carolina to say, but we definitely aren't.
    Mahomes discounting the partial game and averaging the rest of the season out to 16 games is averaging 364 yards passing a game and 5829 total yards passing doesn't it at least warrant a conversation? Wilson is pace for 4.3K passing with two extra OT periods.

There is a very real chance that despite missing what is essentially 3 games HE STILL surpasses Wilson by total yardage. It isn't a teardown of Wilson to make Lamar look better thing the OP was right he sort of rode the wave of his unique stat of 14 TD - 0 INT now that he is throwing the occasional pick and still doesn't have the yardage of the other guys he's still hanging around.

Blog Entries

IF Lamar ends up with 3500+ passing yards and 1k+ rushing yards, it would be really hard to justify not giving him the MVP. Even if he doesn't hit 3500 yards passing, that's still a NFL record.