Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

The Rust Factor And Resting Starters in Last Game

3 weeks off, the rust factor may have come into play. So many people worried that the Ravens would be one and done if Lamar played and got injured against Pittsburgh. Well it happened anyway, we're out in the first round.

I'm thinking now it was not a good decision by Harbaugh to rest the starters. I had my doubts even at the time. . Other NFL teams in that situation have usually played their starters at least the first half of the last game. Sometimes it's best to roll the dice and take your chances with injury being unlikely.

Harbaugh should have considered that the Ravens already had a bye. 3 weeks off without the best players out there playing as a team may have been too much. There are already articles speculating rust may have been a factor in this disaster. If we're in the same situation next year then I think Harbaugh plays the staters.

Re: The Rust Factor And Resting Starters in Last Game

I agree, though I think the biggest factor in the loss was abandoning the run too early. 3 weeks should have helped the coaching staff, but they shit the bed.

Quote Originally Posted by partlycloudy View Post
    I agree, though I think the biggest factor in the loss was abandoning the run too early. 3 weeks should have helped the coaching staff, but they shit the bed.
    Yeah I'm so disappointed in Harbaugh. He's always gotten his teams ready for the big games in the playoffs, like those violent wars against Pittsburgh. This did not look like his team out there. I still can't believe this. If resting the starters helped cause this, he should admit it at least to himself.

In this we totally agree

The coaching staff looked like they didn't start working on their game plan until an hour before kickoff.

Would rather play on the road from now on. And fuck the byes. Maybe the team will play harder as an underdog instead of believing their own hype

Titans had a great game plan and we stopped running the ball.

Also if we convert the 4th downs it’s a different game

I was OK with them resting everyone for a few weeks. We play a really physical style of offense, so getting super healthy seemed like a no-brainer. But outside of abandoning the run too early like was mentioned, I think another problem was really luck of the draw. We had to face a team that's every bit as physical as we were, except we (especially the OL) hadn't been hitting anyone for 3 weeks. I think if we'd faced the Titans in the AFCC game, things would've been different. If the Pats hadn't lost to Miami, the Ravens would've probably faced a much less physical team like the Bills or Texans tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick Hiker View Post
    3 weeks off, the rust factor may have come into play. So many people worried that the Ravens would be one and done if Lamar played and got injured against Pittsburgh. Well it happened anyway, we're out in the first round.

I'm thinking now it was not a good decision by Harbaugh to rest the starters.
    Overblown. Not a factor.

This was one of the weirdest games you'll ever see. I'm pretty sure when the DVOA ratings come out this week, Baltimore will have a higher rating for the game than the Titans did. Weird turnovers, field position follies; a bunch of stuff.

I don't think rust was a factor whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by WrongBaldy View Post
    Titans had a great game plan and we stopped running the ball.

Also if we convert the 4th downs it’s a different game
    And if the receivers held onto the balls that landed in their hands.

Blog Entries

Nonsense.

Best team won. John Harbaugh was ill prepared and made very questionable decisions and put far too much pressure on his 2nd year QB for all his accolades with a less than stellar WR corps.

Harbaugh said on Tuesday that sometimes it's better to just keep playing each week. I wonder if he said that because he'd seen something in the way they were practicing.

This has worked well for the Ravens in the playoffs in the past, no bye, just keep working and go out there and dominate even on the road. I think 3 weeks without playing together competitively as a team is just too much. At least for this Ravens team.

Of course this isn't the only reason they lost, TN also beat New England at home and they seem to be playing their best at the right time of the year. TN had a must win game in their last game to even make the playoffs and they are carrying that momentum forward.

Still TN was 9-7 and it burns me to lose at home like this.