Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Re: New Source for Stats

Bumping this thread as this week's game summary is up (link here).

Some highlights:
    • After holding the ball for nearly 9 minutes in Q1, the Texans had less than 15 minutes of ToP for the rest of the game.
    • Even in a blowout, Roman maintains balance (32 dropbacks, 30 called runs, 2 kneels excluded)
    • The Texans couldn't stop the Ravens after Q1. On their 9 drives, the Ravens scored 5 TDs, kicked 2 FGs, and ran the half out twice. (A little more detail at this link).
    • On their 4th drive of the game, the Ravens had plays that gained 17, 12, 25, and 18TD. Holy chunk play, Batman!
    • The defense got some stats today: 10 QB Hits (7! sacks), 5 PDs (1 INT)
    • Texans gained 19 yards on 10 3rd down attempts (converting 2). They also went 1/4 on 4th down
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Blog Entries

Re: New Source for Stats

Does OZ or anyone else know a place to get (free) stats that list QB attempts & ratings by depth of pass?

Quote Originally Posted by edromeo View Post
    Does OZ or anyone else know a place to get (free) stats that list QB attempts & ratings by depth of pass?
    PFF breaks them down in the 12 zones with attempts, yards, INT/TD and passer rating.

I believe Sports Info Solutions has much more in depth. It's expensive, but it's extreemlyt worth it for the data.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    PFF breaks them down in the 12 zones with attempts, yards, INT/TD and passer rating.

I believe Sports Info Solutions has much more in depth. It's expensive, but it's extreemlyt worth it for the data.
    Is that on PFF Edge or PFF elite?
    I only have Edge.

Is that on PFF Edge or PFF elite?
    I only have Edge.
    I’m not even sure what account I have.

If you go to passing direction on a QBs profile you’ll get the chart.

If you’re looking for someone I can also screenshot and sent to you.
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhiteNorthRaven View Post
    I’m not even sure what account I have.

If you go to passing direction on a QBs profile you’ll get the chart.

If you’re looking for someone I can also screenshot and sent to you.
    Ty.

When I click it only shows me TD/INT based on direction it show comp/att/ratings. I wanted to look at how often and how effectively the Chiefs/Mahomes throw deep vs Ravens/Lamar.

7. Re: New Source for Stats

Ty.

When I click it only shows me TD/INT based on direction it show comp/att/ratings. I wanted to look at how often and how effectively the Chiefs/Mahomes throw deep vs Ravens/Lamar.
    This is only through week 14 (I'll try to add the rest of the season tonight; blue = TD, green = complete, red = INT, grey = incomplete):

Compare to Lamar (same time frame, will update for all QBs when I get to it):

Can't do it at the moment, but I'd also be able to filter down to specific throws (e.g. 30+ Air Yards, outside the numbers, etc.). I can give you both raw data and plots.
    Shared Google Folder with Ravens spreadsheets, nextGen charts, and more! Please share my content! (attribution to Twitter requested)

Knight of the Kingdom of Perfect Play, Student of The Bill James School of Stamping Out Bullshit. Main Sources: PFR, particularly the Play Index; for cap stuff, RSR's Brian McFarland (secondary: OverTheCap, Spotrac)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    This is only through week 14 (I'll try to add the rest of the season tonight; blue = TD, green = complete, red = INT, grey = incomplete):

Compare to Lamar (same time frame, will update for all QBs when I get to it):

Can't do it at the moment, but I'd also be able to filter down to specific throws (e.g. 30+ Air Yards, outside the numbers, etc.). I can give you both raw data and plots.
    Ty! I would be happy with just the raw data but raw data+plots would be sweet.

9. Re: New Source for Stats

Ty! I would be happy with just the raw data but raw data+plots would be sweet.
    Brief explanation: data comes from these nextGen charts (link). Code reads each chart, adjusts it to a rectangle instead of a trapezoid, then estimates the location of each dot. It's not going to be perfect, but it's a good approximation.

Note that the original charts themselves introduce some error too. For any pass a player catches, I believe the dot is placed at the location of the receiver's shoulders. For incomplete passes, I believe the dot is placed at the location of the target's shoulders when the ball hits the ground. Not every pass shows up either (spikes and throwaways are the one I've noticed, but I've only looked at every throw for one player - Lamar). These throws come out with no (x,y) values.

Speaking of (x,y): x runs the width of the field with 0 at the center (-26.67 is left sideline, 26.67 is right sideline), and y runs the length of the field with 0 at the LoS. No adjustment is made for the location of the QB when he makes the throw. The week of the throw is included, the name of the thrower, the result of the pass (complete, touchdown, interception, incomplete), and the (x,y) previously mentioned. Data for Lamar and Mahomes can be found at this link. I have a little more data for Lamar (each throw has been tied to a particular play, so I know information like quarter * time, down & distance, LoS, target, etc.), but I'm not yet ready to make the data itself public (I'd be happy to try to answer any questions you might come up with though, like who did Lamar target the most on 30+ yard throws, or what the game situation was when he attempted those throws).

Jackson

Mahomes

I'm not completely sure what the exact parameters of your query are. If you provide that information, I can cut down on the data (instead of throwing 1000 data points at you).

Blog Entries

Attempts and completions for passes 10 and 20+ yards downfield

Attempts and completions:
    x<-15 &
    x>15 &
    y<10

This is more looking outside and short. I would be interested in that data.

Quote Originally Posted by organizedchaos21 View Post
    Data for Lamar and Mahomes can be found at this link. I have a little more data for Lamar (each throw has been tied to a particular play, so I know information like quarter * time, down & distance, LoS, target, etc.), but I'm not yet ready to make the data itself public (I'd be happy to try to answer any questions you might come up with though, like who did Lamar target the most on 30+ yard throws, or what the game situation was when he attempted those throws).

Jackson
    https://ibb.co/6Fs7xtr
    You have 461 pass attempts for Lamar.

PFR has 401 attempts for Lamar on the season. Add in 38 for RG3 and one for Sam Koch, that's 440 pass attempts for Ravens on the season. Where's the 461 come from?