Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

OT - Maryland leaves ACC

Maryland has left the ACC for the Big Ten.

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...en-sources-say
    Master of 'Gifs for dummies'

"The world called for wetwork, and we answered. No greater good. No just cause." - Kazuhira Miller

Re: OT - Maryland leaves ACC

huge news for the University.

Blog Entries

I heard MD was having money problems for their sports programs. Anyone have info on that?

This is gonna kill lacrosse for umd. I believe the big ten doesn't even acknowledge it as a sport.

Man I'm gonna miss ACC basketball games.

Great. No more Duke and North Carolina on the schedule...smh...

I am curious as to the vote count on the Board of Regents. If it was along the lines of 14-2, 13-3, then you know that the financial and academic implications of this move made too much sense to turn down.

I think college sports is moving towards 4 super conferences with 16 teams. The PAC-12, BIG-10, and SEC were 3 of those 4, I don't think there was any guarantee that the ACC would be the 4th.

Maryland just got a seat for when the music stops.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple nurple View Post
    This is gonna kill lacrosse for umd. I believe the big ten doesn't even acknowledge it as a sport.
    As a MD Alumnus, this in particular saddens me; LAX and Wrestling will be killed. Unbelievable to me that UMD hasn't won a National lacrosse title since 1976.

Basketball won't be the same and I don't see how our football program is going to compete with the likes of OSU and Michigan.

Quote Originally Posted by MD Boy View Post
    As a MD Alumnus, this in particular saddens me; LAX and Wrestling will be killed. Unbelievable to me that UMD hasn't won a National lacrosse title since 1976.
    Not sure about lacrosse...I get the sense that it is a growing national sport and the BIG 10 has strong womens' teams...the Terps womens team should fit right in. U of MD may be what they need to get the mens' programs going? And I thought wrestling was huge in the BIG 10? U of MD should fit right in there, too.

Basketball won't be the same and I don't see how our football program is going to compete with the likes of OSU and Michigan.
    As if the football program was competing now? And they are going from a basketball conference dominated by (and in many cases set-up towards) UNC and Duke to a much more balanced conference that has put many more teams than the ACC into the NCAA tourney in the past few years.

Losing the tradition of the ACC will be tough, but I don't see this as necessarily a bad move by the University at all.
    Last edited by JohnBKistler; 11-19-2012 at 11:49 PM.

It is not going to kill Maryland Lacrosse. Maryland will still be able to schedule everybody that it always schedules. As far as football goes, maybe it will help recruiting. I can't imagine they will ever compete with Michigan and Ohio State, but maybe there is some more UA money coming down the pike now that those uniforms will have a higher profile.

I hope they negotiated getting a Big 10 Basketball Championship played at either the Comcast or Verizon Center. It will be strange not to play Duke but I am sure there will be somebody else to hate.

Having grown up in College Park and being an Indiana University alum living in Bloomington, I'm ecstatic. I've always felt that all of the schools outside of the state of North Carolina were at a competitive disadvantage in basketball. While they've made great efforts to improve their football standing, the conference pales in comparison to the SEC, Big Ten, Big 12, and Pac 12.

Being part of the Big Ten will do wonders for MD financially, which will greatly help the non-revenue sports. The Big Ten Network is great for not only catching every basketball and football game, but for also catching a lot of non-revenue sports like soccer, volleyball, wrestling, etc. And Maryland will no longer have to play second-fiddle to North Carolina and Duke. I can see basketball rivalries developing with Ohio State, Michigan State, Michigan, and Indiana (Tom Crean is Harbaugh's brother-in-law).

1. Financially and acadmeically it was a complete 100% no brainer.

2. Basketball will be fine. I was bummed about it at first too but then I thought about it. Yes, I'll miss playing against Duke and UNC but beyond that are you really going to miss home games against VT, FSU, NC State, BC, Wake Forest, UVA, and Clemson anymore than you'd enjoy home games against Illinois, Ohio State, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Michigan, and Indiana? The Big 10 has FAR better quality depth even if the bottom (Nebraska, Iowa, Northwestern, PSU) is weaker.