Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Pryor will be suspended after he enters the NFL

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/68...rst-five-games

The NFL said that Pryor can play in preseason games after he is drafted and signs, but he is not eligible to practice with his new team or play in a game until Week 6 of the season. Pryor will be allowed at his new team's training facility for meetings and to work with coaches during the time he is ineligible, however.

"... Pryor made decisions that undermine the integrity of the eligibility rules for the NFL Draft," the league said. "Those actions included failing to cooperate with the NCAA and hiring an agent in violation of NCAA rules, which resulted in Ohio State declaring him ineligible to continue playing college football.

"Pryor then applied to enter the NFL after the regular draft. Pryor had accepted at the end of the 2010 college football season a suspension for the first five games of the 2011 season for violating NCAA rules. Pryor will be ineligible to practice prior to or play in the first five games of the NFL regular season after he signs."
    Holy hell, what a dangerous precedent Goodell is setting. I thought what happened during your collegiate career (or any time before being drafted) was out the window once you started your NFL career.

What's next? Suspending Willis McGahee depending on the result of the Miami investigation? I'm just really flabbergasted by this.

Blog Entries

Re: Pryor will be suspended after he enters the NFL

Quote Originally Posted by SteelFaninBMore View Post
    http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/68...rst-five-games

Holy hell, what a dangerous precedent Goodell is setting. I thought what happened during your collegiate career (or any time before being drafted) was out the window once you started your NFL career.

What's next? Suspending Willis McGahee depending on the result of the Miami investigation? I'm just really flabbergasted by this.
    I agree, it is idiotic. Either let him in or not. I really dislike Goodell and this is more fuel for the fire.

He tried to cheat the system by declaring for the supplemental draft despite the fact that he could have declared for the regular draft.

Further he's only entering the league to avoid a college suspension, the NFL doesn't want to allow college players the option to simply avoid NCAA discipline by jumping to the pros.

The CFL has a similar rule they instituted after Ricky Williams used his first year long suspension to go play CFL ball.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Blog Entries

Re: Pryor will be suspended after he enters the NFL

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    He tried to cheat the system by declaring for the supplemental draft despite the fact that he could have declared for the regular draft.

Further he's only entering the league to avoid a college suspension, the NFL doesn't want to allow college players the option to simply avoid NCAA discipline by jumping to the pros.

The CFL has a similar rule they instituted after Ricky Williams used his first year long suspension to go play CFL ball.
    Regardless, I don't like the precedent. The guy has no relation to the NFL, but he'll be suspended if drafted? How about saying you can't go in this year and be done with it.

OT: Terrelle Pryor Ruling

If anyone didn't think Goodell was completely clueless and in over his head as NFL commissioner, how could you possibly support him now?

Blog Entries

Re: OT: Terrelle Pryor Ruling

Did you think ruling was too strict or too lenient?

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Did you think ruling was too strict or too lenient?
    I think it was absolutely insane. He's being punished for what he did in college. It's crossing a line he is a moron to cross.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    I think it was absolutely insane. He's being punished for what he did in college. It's crossing a line he is a moron to cross.
    Pryor agreed with it and said he won't appeal. It kind of reminds me of the suspension that Jamal Lewis received. He was not yet a NFL player when he committed the crime but he was still suspended for it. That's why I don't see this as anything new.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Pryor agreed with it and said he won't appeal. It kind of reminds me of the suspension that Jamal Lewis received. He was not yet a NFL player when he committed the crime but he was still suspended for it. That's why I don't see this as anything new.
    It's completely different. Jamal Lewis was allegedly involved in an illegal activity involving drugs. He was CHARGED while he was an NFL player regardless of the date of the transgression. Pryor has allegedly broken NCAA rules and is thus suspended by the NCAA. There's a big big big difference.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensNTerps View Post
    I think it was absolutely insane. He's being punished for what he did in college.
    In theory, I am ok with that. Too often, players break rules to the detriment of the college game and escape all punishment by going to the NFL.

That said, in practice, you have to be consistent. Someone brought up a good point on the radio this morning: If you are going to suspend Pryor for what he did in college, how exactly does Pete Carroll waltz into a multi-million $ job in Seattle?

That is where I have the problem; it is inconsistent.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB58 View Post
    In theory, I am ok with that. Too often, players break rules to the detriment of the college game and escape all punishment by going to the NFL.

That said, in practice, you have to be consistent. Someone brought up a good point on the radio this morning: If you are going to suspend Pryor for what he did in college, how exactly does Pete Carroll waltz into a multi-million $ job in Seattle?

That is where I have the problem; it is inconsistent.
    Bullshit. The NFL is an organization made up of 32 employers. It is up to the individual employer if they want to hire someone with past transgressions. If I committed academic fraud, say, in college and I found a company willing to hire me anyway why shouldn't I work there without punishment?

The NFL isn't about morals and what's right and wrong. It's a source of employment. And if they are willing to employ, then god bless them.

Yeah, I don't like it, either. He's overstepping his bounds, but they've got Pryor by the short and curly's. If he bitches too much, they can just say, "Okay, no problem, see you next April."

I agree with your point about Carroll, and more to the point, Reggie Bush. Where's his suspension for costing USC a national title?
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...