Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

17-game season more likely

Washington Post's Mark Maske reports there is "positive momentum" that a new NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement will be agreed upon before this postseason is completed.

One of the big discussions of the new CBA is the schedule, and Maske reports it "is increasingly likely to include a 17-game regular season". Adding another game to the regular season has been viewed as a big deal by the players for safety reasons, so the NFLPA will be receiving other benefits in return if a 17-game schedule is agreed upon. Other issues with the CBA include the revenue split, player punishment, rookie contracts, and the franchise tag. There should be more reports on those issues over the next couple of months.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...ss-labor-deal/

Re: 17-game season more likely

I was thinking the league might offer a 2nd bye to appease the NFLPA. I would assume that another week off would be a positive for the players (although I could be wrong). Plus a second bye would make it easier for the league to schedule 8 London games a season.

I don't like the idea of extra games because the season long stats as we are accustomed to them would change. Records get broken ( albeit with an asterisk) and it just changes the what is normal and expected performance wise. Don't get me wrong being able to watch an extra ravens game would be great but I'm a traditionalist in many ways

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Mac View Post
    I was thinking the league might offer a 2nd bye to appease the NFLPA. I would assume that another week off would be a positive for the players (although I could be wrong). Plus a second bye would make it easier for the league to schedule 8 London games a season.
    16/4/1 being replaced by 17/2/2 could be interesting and might not be too hard to get passed by players(regular season games/preseason games/bye weeks).

The 17th game’s biggest hurdle is likely the odd home/road split which does offer an “unfair” variable. At a minimum, that would have to have a bit of a gate sharing component AND especially a tie-breaker priority change to reflect the huge advantage of having an extra home game.

Nope, here is the solution. Split gate at international games. Every team plays in 1 international game, with all bye weeks taking place before and after. International “month” is Basically November. Week 7, 8 teams get a bye, then play week 8 abroad(London, Berlin, Mexico City, Toronto, for example), then get a week 9 bye. This continues a quarter of the league at a time until week 12. Cities can rotate, but each city gets a month of games in a row. This is a plan that can literally benefit everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=jonboy79;1787695]16/4/1 being replaced by 17/2/2 could be interesting and might not be too hard to get passed by players(regular season games/preseason games/bye weeks).

The 17th game’s biggest hurdle is likely the odd home/road split which does offer an “unfair” variable. At a minimum, that would have to have a bit of a gate sharing component AND especially a tie-breaker priority change to reflect the huge advantage of having an extra home game.

Nope, here is the solution. Split gate at international games. Every team plays in 1 international game, with all bye weeks taking place before and after. International “month” is Basically November. Week 7, 8 teams get a bye, then play week 8 abroad(London, Berlin, Mexico City, Toronto, for example), then get a week 9 bye. This continues a quarter of the league at a time until week 12. Cities can rotate, but each city gets a month of games in a row. This is a plan that can literally benefit everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

That actually pretty brilliant. Great post

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    16/4/1 being replaced by 17/2/2 could be interesting and might not be too hard to get passed by players(regular season games/preseason games/bye weeks).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Great ideas.

For me, 16 games or 17, I still prefer 2 bye weeks. One extra week of football even if we're not playing. Better for recovery. Easier to schedule Thursday night games and international games after bye weeks.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Btw, the players might not 'like' the idea of a 17th game, but it will immediately increase revenue proportionally which directly increases the cap proportionally which trickles right back into their pockets.

Quote Originally Posted by guymf4 View Post
    Btw, the players might not 'like' the idea of a 17th game, but it will immediately increase revenue proportionally which directly increases the cap proportionally which trickles right back into their pockets.

Bingo!

Plus throw them the bone of the 2nd bye and I think everyone walks away happy.

However, I don't know if anyone had proposed the 2nd bye... that was just something I threw out there, but I think that would solve problems on both sides.

Blog Entries

Report: NFL, NFLPA move closer to new labor agreement, which likely includes 17 games :

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...udes-17-games/

... Bc

If they're really going to move to 17 games, I think that 17th game should be on a neutral field for all teams.

Like say, internationally. No more giving up home games for London or Mexico City.

Not a fan of 17 games

Blog Entries

Terrible idea.