Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Penn State Penalties

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    The penalties were not for what Sandusky did, the penalties are for what the university and its leadership did.

Starting in 1998.

I think these penalties are both severe and as lenient as possible on the kids who are in the football program now. They can stay, and play their games, or they can leave, or they can quit football and stay at PSU without penalty.

I think this set of penalties was a very clever, more compassionate remedy than any kind of "death penalty" would have been. Kudos to the NCAA.
    good point, i still dont get what it accomplishes though.
    -JAB

JAB, the culture at the university made it possible, in security matters, for the football program to effectively control the athletics department, the university leadership, and perhaps even local law enforcement.

In that environment, victims can be sacrificed for the good of the team. "You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs," they might say, as they decide to sweep some shenanigans under the rug.

The NCAA is saying that a football program is not as sacred as the protection of the innocent. Now PSU knows, and now they all know.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

As I think about the penalties just hand down it's almost like the NCAA had to something because you couldn't find any punishment that would fit the crime of child sex abuse in this situation. An adminstration lending a blind eye to this unfortunate situation for so many years probably deserves every ounce of punishment it got today and sadly that includes Joe P.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by festivus View Post
    JAB, the culture at the university made it possible, in security matters, for the football program to effectively control the athletics department, the university leadership, and perhaps even local law enforcement.

In that environment, victims can be sacrificed for the good of the team. "You can't make an omelette without breaking some eggs," they might say, as they decide to sweep some shenanigans under the rug.

The NCAA is saying that a football program is not as sacred as the protection of the innocent. Now PSU knows, and now they all know.
    yeah i get that, but taking away wins is just pointless imo. you cant rewrite history, those wins happened despite what the NCAA is saying. you go back and see who won a game in 2001, its going to say PSU whether the NCAA acknowledges it or not. It does nothing. The rest of the punishment sets the tone for the other teams to follow. overturning wins in past games isnt a deterrent at all for other schools, its simply to hurt Joe Pa and not have the all time winningest coach be a guy who covered up a rape scandal (allegedly). i see why they wouldnt want that but it doesnt change that he is. Thats like Pete Rose not being the all time hits leader. He is whether baseball wants to accept it or not.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

The one thing that I wanted to see was a monetary punishment that would go towards child abuse charities. They did that. Hit them in the wallet and use that money for some good.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The one thing that I wanted to see was a monetary punishment that would go towards child abuse charities. They did that. Hit them in the wallet and use that money for some good.
    Yup and not being able to participate in any bowl games is going to make them lose a lot of money as well. Also, losing 10 scholarships per year for the next 4 years is pretty devastating.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I think they had to do this, it sets an example. Sure the current players and staff do not deserve this, but the culture of football and universities need to be put on notice.

Blog Entries

I did not keep up with this case, in the way that most did. What I vaguely understand is that Joe Paterno was presented with a suspicion about his friend and passed it on to his superiors. Can someone go into further detail about how Joe Paterno truly dropped the ball on this one? Was it that many felt that Joe Paterno was of a powerful enough stature that he could have seen to it that more was done to find out if the allegations were true?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Silver View Post
    I think they had to do this, it sets an example. Sure the current players and staff do not deserve this, but the culture of football and universities need to be put on notice.
    Cash rules everything around me- Wu Tang Clan (Method Man). College Football brings in the cash. College Football, far more often than not, rules Division I campuses, I would think. Then again, what do I know?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    yeah i get that, but taking away wins is just pointless imo. you cant rewrite history, those wins happened despite what the NCAA is saying. you go back and see who won a game in 2001, its going to say PSU whether the NCAA acknowledges it or not. It does nothing. The rest of the punishment sets the tone for the other teams to follow. overturning wins in past games isnt a deterrent at all for other schools, its simply to hurt Joe Pa and not have the all time winningest coach be a guy who covered up a rape scandal (allegedly). i see why they wouldnt want that but it doesnt change that he is. Thats like Pete Rose not being the all time hits leader. He is whether baseball wants to accept it or not.
    Ask Pete Rose if it hurts. Of course it hurts, it's a tremendous blow.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I did not keep up with this case, in the way that most did. What I vaguely understand is that Joe Paterno was presented with a suspicion about his friend and passed it on to his superiors. Can someone go into further detail about how Joe Paterno truly dropped the ball on this one? Was it that many felt that Joe Paterno was of a powerful enough stature that he could have seen to it that more was done to find out if the allegations were true?
    Really? Try Googling "freeh report psu."

It sounds like you missed a lot, Excellector, or perhaps you are a Penn State fan believing what you want to believe (not that I'd have a problem with that...).

edit: In a nutshell, the Freeh report concluded Paterno knew about several specific allegations of sexual assault against children by Sandusky, and, along with a few other people at the highest levels of the institution, protected the secrecy of the information, and left Sandusky in a position to continue hurting children.
    Festivus

His definitions and arguments were so clear in his own mind that he was unable to understand how any reasonable person could honestly differ with him.

Overzealous. Sandusky will get a life sentence, Paterno's heirs will have to deal with distaste of the statue removal etc, and others have lost jobs and face other legal actions. It is flat out wrong to penalize the 2012 PSU players and student body for Sandusky's sins or the actions/inactions by the athletic department/administration.

NCAA is way out of line.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    JoePa passed McQueary's suspicions up the chain in 2007 or whatever. What the investigation unveiled was that JoePa knew about another investigation into Sandusky for the same thing in 1998. Which was the same time Sandusky was "let got" from the football program.

It seems like JoePa, who ran Penn State decided that some internal punishment was all Sandusky needed, the whole thing was swept under the rug and they harbored a serial child molestor for years.