Page 56 of 77 FirstFirst ... 5455565758 ... LastLast
    Westminster OG, now behind enemy lines in NE
    Blog Entries

Re: Ravens sign Le'Veon Bell

Quote Originally Posted by xiao_ke View Post
    Could be possible per Zrebiec’s tweet, but at some point they have roll with their best RB unit and that doesn’t include Freeman.

Maybe Bell isn’t yet at the conditioning level that the Ravens want before making him a permanent addition to the active roster.
    Agreed. If Bell wasn't happy, you would think he would be tweeting about it or making it known somehow. But at least publicly he seems content. I think everyone knows what's going on behind the scenes and it's a waiting game right now.

Blog Entries

String of tweets that I find highly compelling

@jeffzrebiec: Look, is it possible that to get Freeman to sign, they guaranteed him a certain amount of time on active roster? I guess so. I don't know that though. Sometimes you have handshake agreements.

@RosterWatch: If they let Rosenhaus talk them into some cockamamie playing time guarantee for Freeman who was waiting on the street for virtually any call, I guess that wouldn't surprise me. Never know I guess.

@jeffzrebiec: I agree. I know they offered him first before Bell and Freeman turned down PS spot. But then once Edwards got hurt, Freeman expressed an interest in signing. So I don't know if they had to add a carrot to make that happen.

@_codycavanaugh: And by going back on their promise of lest say, 8 games on the active roster, his agent would tell future clients the Ravens don’t own up to handshake deals?

Blog Entries

https://twitter.com/jeffzrebiec/stat...65607091539985

All Jeff Zrebiec tweets and replies

Ravens activate WR Rashod Bateman and G/T Tyre Phillips from IR. They're in line to play tomorrow against Chargers. Ravens also use standard practice squad elevations on RB Le'Veon Bell and OT Andre Smith.

Ravens now have 51 guys on their 53-man roster. With the two practice squad elevations, they'll have 5 total inactives tomorrow. WR Sammy Watkins (hamstring) and OT Ronnie Stanley (ankle) will be two of them.

Jeff was asked: [Do you think Ty'Son will be inactive?]
    I'm not assuming that, but it will likely be either him or Freeman. My guess would be Williams, but don't know that for sure.

Blog Entries

Jeff Zrebiec
    @jeffzrebiec
    3m
    Replying to
    @tashamacbabii
    Wolfe is on IR so not eligible. My guess would be Stanley, Watkins, Ferguson, A. Washington, Either Freeman/Ty'Son Williams and the last spot would be either a DL (B.Washington?) or one of the ILBs.

Blog Entries

In FF the Ravens have the 11th best matchup for RBs according to @Rosterwatch

So this means Bell will have a good opportunity to showcase what he can do.

This is his second call up, so if Ravens do not promote him to the 53 he will revert to the PS and the next time they call him up they will either have to keep him or expose him to waivers. I'm not sure if he gets to choose where he goes since he's a vested veteran (if it is before the trade deadline) or if he's exposed to waiver claims (if after the trade deadline).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iamjacks View Post
    In FF the Ravens have the 11th best matchup for RBs according to @Rosterwatch

So this means Bell will have a good opportunity to showcase what he can do.

This is his second call up, so if Ravens do not promote him to the 53 he will revert to the PS and the next time they call him up they will either have to keep him or expose him to waivers. I'm not sure if he gets to choose where he goes since he's a vested veteran (if it is before the trade deadline) or if he's exposed to waiver claims (if after the trade deadline).
    I'm hoping Bell will look so good on Sunday that they have no choice but to keep him on the 53. That would mean that he looked so good the Ravens offense is significantly improved by his presence.

Quote Originally Posted by Iamjacks View Post
    String of tweets that I find highly compelling

@jeffzrebiec: Look, is it possible that to get Freeman to sign, they guaranteed him a certain amount of time on active roster? I guess so. I don't know that though. Sometimes you have handshake agreements.

@RosterWatch: If they let Rosenhaus talk them into some cockamamie playing time guarantee for Freeman who was waiting on the street for virtually any call, I guess that wouldn't surprise me. Never know I guess.

@jeffzrebiec: I agree. I know they offered him first before Bell and Freeman turned down PS spot. But then once Edwards got hurt, Freeman expressed an interest in signing. So I don't know if they had to add a carrot to make that happen.

@_codycavanaugh: And by going back on their promise of lest say, 8 games on the active roster, his agent would tell future clients the Ravens don’t own up to handshake deals?
    If that's true about Freeman then that's a dumb decision. As if Freeman had other options?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    If that's true about Freeman then that's a dumb decision. As if Freeman had other options?
    It is all speculation. No one knows, but the situation is perplexing.

But remember the Ravens were over a barrel. Just before the first game their second and third RBs go down with injury and they needed someone NOW! Someone who could play. Freeman was through camp and was in shape. Bell was a street FA and while in shape, he wasn't in NFL shape and hadn't been practicing with anyone for the past month unlike the other guys. Bell couldn't play in the first game. Denver may have been the absolute first time he was in NFL shape. He's STILL learning the Ravens offense.

I think they did the best they could and maybe some sly agent got his client an extra roster bonus with a handshake deal. Wouldn't be the strangest thing and he's doing the best he can for his client. Ravens would have had little choice.

Now 5 weeks later
    Murray looks like Murray
    Bell is in shape
    Ty'Son had something go sideways
    Freeman looks like Freeman

Likely the best three backs are Murray, Bell then Williams/Freeman

Remember the Ravens are on their 4th, 5th, 6th and 7th string RBs this year. That's crazy! Only one of them was in training camp with the Ravens and he is the one having problems.

It is a miracle that the Ravens have been able to string the running game along with all the injuries to the top RBs plus all the injuries along the offensive line. If you really think about it, it is incredible what they are doing.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Culex View Post
    Jeff also said something that everyone has to keep in mind - remember that the Ravens coaches see these guys in practice every day and are constantly evaluating them. If they thought anyone would be an immediate difference maker, he would be on the roster.

What I have going in the back of my mind is that Bell's skill set might show up better in games than in practice. But also that Bell got a swing pass from Lamar in the Denver game and the two of them were just slightly off on the timing. It could be that Bell needed more time to get on the same page with Lamar. I'm really excited to see how he looks on Sunday. I would think that the Ravens would not call him up if they didn't mean to activate him.

I think Freeman showed his value on Monday night. He was critical to our success on those last two (?) drives IIRC. He didn't just catch the ball but he was also getting some important yac/first downs.

As a side note, damn I love seeing Lamar throw checkdowns these days. Glad he's added that to ol' repertoire.
    "Did Ed Reed get the respect that he deserves? No he did not...Am I gonna get it? Probably won't. Hopefully he do. If I don't, then, hey, man, I'm alright with me." - Ed Reed

Quote Originally Posted by Jam31 View Post
    I think Freeman showed his value on Monday night. He was critical to our success on those last two (?) drives IIRC. He didn't just catch the ball but he was also getting some important yac/first downs.

As a side note, damn I love seeing Lamar throw checkdowns these days. Glad he's added that to ol' repertoire.
    Agree. I was ready to dump Freeman but after MNF I think williams should be the odd man out. He ran like he was scared to fumble, grabbing 2 hands on the ball right away and losing the burst he showed in Pre-Season. The juice isn't worth the squeeze at this point.

Our margin for error is so small we can't afford the fumble risk if he's not significantly better than the other backs.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TIGERBLOOD View Post
    Agree. I was ready to dump Freeman but after MNF I think williams should be the odd man out. He ran like he was scared to fumble, grabbing 2 hands on the ball right away and losing the burst he showed in Pre-Season. The juice isn't worth the squeeze at this point.

Our margin for error is so small we can't afford the fumble risk if he's not significantly better than the other backs.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk
    Williams is talented but I’m afraid he’s just too soft. He hasn’t been the same ever since taken some hard hits against starters.